Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

LS2 & Six Speed From 05 Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 10:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS2 & Six Speed From 05 Corvette

Guys,

I've posted before about the project I'm taking on with my 86 IROC. I found an LS2 and six speed tranny with 17K miles out of a 2005 Corvette for $5,800 delivered. Asking for your opinion - Is it worth this money??? I've seen other LS2's mated to six speeds for anywhere from $6,800 to $10,000.

My IROC is completely stripped under the hood, the only thing left is the original 5 speed tranny. Everything else is gone - engine, starter alternator, AC pump...everything and anything that attaches to the engine is gone.

I've looked at building a motor and buying a 350 or 383 stroker long block and finishing that out. After buying manifolds/headers, starter, alternator, starter, water pump, valve covers, oil pan, intake, carb, air cleaner, plugs, wires, on and on, I'm looking at close to $5,000.

1321, I think was the name, a user on this site give me an idea on building an iron 6.0 liter and the total price came out to around $5,000 if my memory serves me correctly.

To me, it seems like a no-brainer...get the LS2 and tranny and don't look back. However, I'm just not sure... The LS2 seems to be a hot comodity and, like all other hot comodities, the demand will eventually reside and the prices will be reduced. That'll be a year down the road though and is not a guarantee and I'm not waiting that long to put something together.

Input???
Old 04-09-2008, 04:21 AM
12 Second Club

Are both the engine and trany from an 05 vette ? If i am right.. the trany from the vettes is located in the rear.. wich means you have to have a complete rear end from a vette.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:54 AM
Teching In

Thanks for that info. I didn't realize the tranny in the vette was different. Checked on it and the tranny is a rear mounted setup so won't work. I'm glad I posted this a.m., you saved me a headache and quite a few $$$$.

The guy said he'd still part with the motor for $5K delivered and that's about what they bring, even more...still think it may be worth it...
Old 04-09-2008, 10:57 AM
Teching In

oh, he also said he can get me a reman t-56 for 1600 delivered which would bring the total price to $6,600. still seems worth it based on pricing i've found for the same on ebay and elsewhere which seems to start at a $1,000 more for everything...

thoughts???
Old 04-09-2008, 11:37 AM
12 Second Club

Thats what i thought! But with the rebuilt t56 it sounds as a good deal to me. But i cant realy tell because i dont know what they go for other wise... but since its an rebuilt T56 its a good price.
But make sure you get all, ALL electronics with it. And you might need to Reprogram the ECU.
Sounds as a good project. What clutch, Radiator and sow on?
Old 04-10-2008, 07:51 AM
12 Second Club

I just thought of 1 other thing.. make sure that the oilpan fits your car.. otherwise you have to buy an other one.. I dont know how they are configurated or look.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:29 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can get your LS2 thats up to you but i would go ahead and for that kind of money on a tranny i would pick up a fragged T56 for a core or buy one thats already built from a sponsor here and have no worries..JMO
Old 04-10-2008, 10:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

dont pay for that reman. tranny
get one from sixspeeds.com, they are a sponsor here and have one the fastest 6 speed cars.
price for the ls2 seems kinda hi to me though.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:36 AM
Teching In

Crazy Sweed, I owe you, don't know how I could repay, but you saved me a LOT of time, energy, and $$$ by pointing that out. THANKS. As far as the oil pan, I was sorta expecting I may need to do something there, not sure, but will if needed. I know I'm not inventing the wheel, so to speak, so there has to be something out there. Also, as far as wiring and electronics, this engine comes with EVERYTHING from top to bottom, side to side, front to back...wiring harness, ecu, starter, exhaust, everything the serpentine belt touches.

NemeSS, unless i'm doing something wrong, sixspeeds.com only gives links to other sites...

It is a lot of money for an engine, but I really like the reliability factor when comparing to something reman/rebuilt. Irony is I'm considering a reman tranny...a new one is well over $3 grand, so a reman at $1600 with a one year warranty I don't consider a bad deal.

As far as the sponsors here...I don't know who is good and who is not, haven't been on the site long enough. And, I'd venture to say, they'll have a tough time meeting/beating the prices I've found, not guaranteeing that, just ***-u-me-ing... ha. Afterall, I've been shopping the ends of the internet searching for what I've found and have found engine/tranny combo's along the way for $10 grand...the way my wife would see it - I'm saving $3400!!! LOL!
Old 04-10-2008, 08:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by QuentsIROC
Crazy Sweed, I owe you, don't know how I could repay, but you saved me a LOT of time, energy, and $$$ by pointing that out. THANKS. As far as the oil pan, I was sorta expecting I may need to do something there, not sure, but will if needed. I know I'm not inventing the wheel, so to speak, so there has to be something out there. Also, as far as wiring and electronics, this engine comes with EVERYTHING from top to bottom, side to side, front to back...wiring harness, ecu, starter, exhaust, everything the serpentine belt touches.

NemeSS, unless i'm doing something wrong, sixspeeds.com only gives links to other sites...

It is a lot of money for an engine, but I really like the reliability factor when comparing to something reman/rebuilt. Irony is I'm considering a reman tranny...a new one is well over $3 grand, so a reman at $1600 with a one year warranty I don't consider a bad deal.

As far as the sponsors here...I don't know who is good and who is not, haven't been on the site long enough. And, I'd venture to say, they'll have a tough time meeting/beating the prices I've found, not guaranteeing that, just ***-u-me-ing... ha. Afterall, I've been shopping the ends of the internet searching for what I've found and have found engine/tranny combo's along the way for $10 grand...the way my wife would see it - I'm saving $3400!!! LOL!
my error, the name of the sponsor is six speeds inc.com
they are located in houston tx, also they have a banner here------->
to the right of the screen
Old 04-11-2008, 05:08 AM
12 Second Club

Crazy Sweed, I owe you, don't know how I could repay,
Just post some pics when you get started and before as whell
Old 04-11-2008, 09:10 PM
Teching In

will the ls2 bolt up to the 5 speed trans bell housing??
Old 04-14-2008, 08:50 AM
Teching In

bump...just wondering if anybody knows if the ls1/ls2 has the same bolt pattern as the older small blocks and will bolt up to the T-5 5 speed bell housing in my IROC???

Anybody???
Old 04-15-2008, 05:06 PM

The tranny will not work, but you are getting a complete longblock for that price. Buy a shortblock cam,& heads and you are right near that price. You can always sell the tranny to help with the build.
Old 04-16-2008, 04:12 AM
12 Second Club

I dont know.. defently looks like it..
My LS1 engine
Old 04-16-2008, 06:29 AM
Teching In

Go to crateenginesdepot.com. They have a brand new LS2 for $5xxx
Old 04-18-2008, 02:48 PM
On The Tree

Check the Conversions and Hybrids section. You should find everything you need to know there.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-swaps-28/

Quick Reply: LS2 & Six Speed From 05 Corvette