Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Z28 Car purchase

Old 07-20-2008, 04:43 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Z28 Car purchase

Alright, I'm thinking of picking up another Z28, it's actually the exact same as the last one I had minus the red seat inserts.

Now, the car has been modded, and is showing 3 warning lights.

-One is the service engine light and I'm assuming that's from the LT's.
-The other is a ABS light that the dealer is blaming the new sloted/drilled rotors and new brakes on.
-The other is some kind of warning light (I forgot what he said actually) that he's blaming the shift kit on.

The car has a clear title, never wrecked and 33K miles.

I'm wondering can a shift kit cause a warning light? And does new breaks/rotors cause the ABS light to trip?

The car is appx. 150 miles from me so I haven't checked it out in person yet, all info. was shared over the phone.
Old 07-20-2008, 06:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

id be worried. the SES is typically (and i think 100% of time) an emissions warning, so it can be if they didnt do anything with the rear o2 sensors.

ABS light shouldnt come on from rotors and pads, but if the other light is the "trac off" light then they are probably on from a related issue.
Old 07-27-2008, 12:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kamauxx
Alright, I'm thinking of picking up another Z28, it's actually the exact same as the last one I had minus the red seat inserts.

Now, the car has been modded, and is showing 3 warning lights.

-One is the service engine light and I'm assuming that's from the LT's.
-The other is a ABS light that the dealer is blaming the new sloted/drilled rotors and new brakes on.
-The other is some kind of warning light (I forgot what he said actually) that he's blaming the shift kit on.

The car has a clear title, never wrecked and 33K miles.

I'm wondering can a shift kit cause a warning light? And does new breaks/rotors cause the ABS light to trip?

The car is appx. 150 miles from me so I haven't checked it out in person yet, all info. was shared over the phone.
new brakes and rotors won't make the ABS light turn on.. I've had it turn on before because of a bad low brake fluid sensor, and any of the ABS sensors could have issues. The fuse could be blown. any number of things.

The SES can be from ANYTHING.. emissions, engine, transmission, temperature, etc.. have it scanned and find out what codes are thrown.

as for the shift kit one, is it the low traction light? could translate to a rear ABS sensor or harness, it would light up both the low traction and ABS lights

in general, dealer salespeople are idiots. I don't treat them as such, but what they tell me holds no value.
Old 08-02-2008, 12:33 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 67RSCamaroVette
in general, dealer salespeople are idiots. I don't treat them as such, but what they tell me holds no value.
True, they tell you what you want to hear: I was with my gf looking at byuing a 99 SS. I poped the hood and asked the dealer why the car was missing the lid on the airbox. He told me it was the setup I wanted. . . "ram air" . . . .

Needless to say he didn't make the sale.
Old 08-02-2008, 12:55 AM
On The Tree

IMO try buying one from a private seller, possibly a friend of a friend, old person, or even a woman. These are usually more trustworthy than a salesman trying to make his commission at your expense(at least in my own expirences.)
Old 08-02-2008, 01:13 PM
Staging Lane

When I went from 3.42s to 4.10s on my truck my abs light came on. I dont know if its the same for fbodies, but any tuner can adjust the rear axle ratio and it will go off. ( If that's what's causing it)
Old 08-02-2008, 05:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would stay away from this one unless the dealer fixed all the problems IMO.

Bill
Old 08-04-2008, 11:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Bill Bowling
I would stay away from this one unless the dealer fixed all the problems IMO.

Bill

it depends... the ABS light typically is just a wheel speed sensor... easy fix

SES light could be a little more tricky, but of course i wouldnt let the car pass me by if thats all it needs and the price is decent.

of course have someone give you an estimate to get the stuff fixed and have them take it off the price of the car, or fix it then sell it to you for what you originally were gonna pay for it
Old 08-27-2008, 04:10 PM
On The Tree

Honestly..if ANY kind of light is on in the car I would not buy it. I've had the experience of finding a car I want and saying "oh that's an easy fix" and I ended up finding more and more things and spending more repairing the vehicle than its actually value.

Save yourself the possible frustration and stay away from this one.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:18 PM
Launching!

Also an ABS light can be cause by a third brake light being out. Easy to overlook.
Old 09-05-2008, 06:01 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't buy it.......go look at some other f-bodies.

Search this Thread