Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Power Draining Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 05:46 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Draining Problem

Since I bought the camaro back, it's been having this problem.

Drove the car home, it sat for a few hours and started fine. It then sat for a week and it was dead. No power at all. No guages, fuel pump, nadda.

Jumped it after about 10 minutes of trying. Drove it around town. It was dead again the next morning. Figured maybe it was just a bad battery. Swapped it out for a new one. Fired right up great. Drove it the next couple of days on and off. Then I let it sit for a week.

Completely drained the new battery. There are no interior lights on, no accessories running. I must have a bad wire or ground or something somewhere that is constantly humming the power out of the battery.

Any ideas? I could use an electrical genius to help me figure it out :\
Old 09-18-2008, 10:10 AM
Teching In

Have you looked at the gauge for the alternator to see if the alternator is putting a steady charge back to the battery
Old 10-02-2008, 07:11 PM
Teching In

There is a solenoid in an auto-trans car, not sure about a stick (GM part# 12538778, $29.06, I don't remember what the part is called) that is always on when your vehicle is off. It locks the transmission shifter so the shifter can not be moved when parked. Try disconnecting it for a week and see if that's your problem, or you could do a current draw on it, if it's reading an amp or more you found the problem.
Mike