Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans
View Poll Results: Own one plus a beater?
No way dude you don't know what youre getting into.
36.36%
Hell yes, bliss at its finest even if it isn't fast.
63.64%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

This car is so beautiful but... would ya own one?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 07:22 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel dumber just reading this thread. Just go buy a turbocharged riceburner if you just want a quick car. You obviously don't understand old cars. I would rather be cruising in my 1970 Chevelle SS about 95% of the time over my 2001 Camaro SS even though my '01 Camaro is also a sweet car and it's faster.

Last edited by Sunset01SS; 09-23-2008 at 07:27 AM.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:02 AM
On The Tree

Dear Richard (Sp00led Ya),

With these cars it is not about cornering ability, 0-60 times, top speed and ¼ mile times, its about the history the passion that went into designing and build them, and the exclusivity of owning a car were there isn’t two the same in one way or form.
And the only first GEN Camaro that could beat the EVO's, Supras M3's and Porsches you are so familiar to is the 1969 camaro ZL1 427 that recorded 0-60 5.3 and ¼ time of 11.68 and that was with cross-ply tires, with some high quality summer tire you would be looking at a 0-60 in 4.5 and a1/4 mile time in 11.4.

By the way Have you sold you 1998 Honda Accord LX w/67k for $3,800 yet ?
Sounds like you are living the high life.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:20 AM
Launching!

is that an actual ss? is it ls5 or ls6? ls6 is my dream car.
Old 09-23-2008, 01:03 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by knappbunch
is that an actual ss? is it ls5 or ls6? ls6 is my dream car.
It was my dreamcar too... until my dream became a reality 3-1/2 years ago when I bought it. It is a real SS, but not the original engine or trans. It does have a 454, but one out of a newer truck. Numbers matching LS6 car would be my ultimate dreamcar too... but with those prices it will always just be a dream.
Old 09-23-2008, 01:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TSSC
SAME CASE WITH THE OLDIES. 454 + elcamino= domination of modern f-bodies.
Depends on which "modern F-Body" you are talking about.
Stock for stock
LT1=maybe
LS1=VERY IFFY

Even with an LS6 454 most of the best times were mid 13's thanks to era technology. There is not very many of the old muscle cars stock for stock that could compete with modern F-bodies. LS5 454's were only rated in the 360hp range, granted they may have been under rated does not take away from the fact that the track times these cars were running stock were not any better than what is available now.

Personally, I don't see how any of you can come across calling a guy gay, a douche, an idiot or anything like that for stating a fact that compared to the cars now, the cars of the mucle car era are slow. For thier time they were the baddest *** cars on the road period. But times have changed. He never said he hated them because they weren't supercharged or turbo'd or could handle like they were on a rail. He never said it was about the speed and how fast it is. He said he wanted to know what it would feel like to own one of the finest cars of the era. You guys need to read the whole story before you get all butt hurt.
Old 09-24-2008, 07:29 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by CCCustoms
By the way Have you sold you 1998 Honda Accord LX w/67k for $3,800 yet ?
Sounds like you are living the high life.
Actually it's nice and sold. So now I have to get myself some better rubber so I can stick my 392awhp and 364ftlbs to the ground w/ the FP Green EVO VIII sitting in my garage. I think you should get the entire story before you go bashing peoples cars with a flip off smiley... next time don't assume, it will just make an *** out of U and ME minus the me part.
Old 09-24-2008, 07:32 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Ntimid8r7
Personally, I don't see how any of you can come across calling a guy gay, a douche, an idiot or anything like that for stating a fact that compared to the cars now, the cars of the mucle car era are slow. For thier time they were the baddest *** cars on the road period. But times have changed. He never said he hated them because they weren't supercharged or turbo'd or could handle like they were on a rail. He never said it was about the speed and how fast it is. He said he wanted to know what it would feel like to own one of the finest cars of the era. You guys need to read the whole story before you get all butt hurt.
Thank you, finally someone decided to be cool headed and soak up what was being put out before kicking into temper tantrum mode and throwing out
flip off smileys and ignorant rice burner bashes. I don't know what's worse, my lack of understanding of the previous eras cars or the lack of reading comprehension.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:20 PM
Staging Lane

*cough*....loser alert
Old 09-24-2008, 09:54 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mr.z28
*cough*....loser alert
*cough* ignint alert
Old 09-24-2008, 10:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i laugh when i hear people say those old cars where slow. They forget easily that the bias-supply tires didnt ever hook up for ****. Now throw on some decent tires and your 350hp (underrated) 4-bolt main 350ci SBC with a 3.73 or 4.11 rear end just got alot quicker. Ask a little kid to point to a fast car at a car show once...i bet he doesnt point to anything but an old muscle car...
Old 09-25-2008, 12:00 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Sp00led Ya
Todays standards say a 1st gen Camaro is slow, depending on which one. If it isn't a 396 or better, it is... slow. And it's Porsche. And I'm gay because I also like some of the nicest cars ever made? Right.
69 Dz302 69 camaros wernt that slow..
For what these cars had in the day- and way under-rated hp #'s, i wouldnt really say that they are all slow.. if you are going for a stock look- like the r/s car that you are showing here- ya, it might not be the fastest thing in town, but it does get the looks, and also holds its value way more then any fwd new modern era car.. and at that- really any 4th gen camaro..

These 67-69 and now 70-73 camaros are what people want.. and yet they arnt ALL fast by anymeans.. i couldnt say they are slow - beings as though first and second gen camaros still can run around most of your cars out on the road today..

I have a 70 L34 bigblock 4-speed camaro,402/350hp, and dad has a 68 4-speed 396/375hp camaro- and by no means are they crazy fast cars- but mid 12 sec street cars- i dont think thats out of the norm..

I guess i dont understand what your trying to get to here.. ya can compair all day exotic expensive over priced cars to your 60's muscle cars like the one posted- but i dont understand? If u are into those types of cars(PorSChes- Evos- Bmws) thats cool to each his own.. but the last comment ya made-
How would you all feel about owning one of these guys and just a beater to drive in poor weather? Or would it last about a WEEK?

I as well as many others on this site- dont think that a 1st gen camaro is a car thats used to just beat around in poor weather.. tell my dad that his car would only last a week.. he drove it, but took care of it.. (original paint) and has owned it since Dec, 1969..

And i wasnt calling you gay.. it was more of the fact that who in their right mind wouldnt want a 67-69 camaro.. even if it was slow.. ???
Old 09-25-2008, 09:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

I think you guys are being too hard on him. And the immature, unhelpful, name calling is unnecessary. Obviously we almost all would love to have a nice 69 Camaro, but what he's asking is if you are a speed freak would it be worth giving up your faster, modern day sports car for it. Yes I know some older muscle is fast and obviously can be made faster, but on average, LSX cars are faster than old muscle.

I for one would struggle with making that decision also. I love 1st gen Camaros but I don't know if I'd give up my current SS or especially a 5th gen for one. Yes they have a definite "cool factor", but I know I'd miss the acceleration, braking, and handling of my 4th gen. Now if I could have a 5th gen, and a 1st gen, I'd be in heaven...or a 1st gen with modern engine, powertrain, suspension, and brakes.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

you will hate it, period. If your used to high tech modern cars you'll drive that pos for 5 seconds and say "dam wtf did I spend my money on". Cars like that ( stock ones ) are basically museum pieces old guys collect for bragging rights.

On the flip side, A 68/69 built to modern specs ( say an LS1/w T56, decent brakes and handling, restored frame/paint/wheels etc ) costs around 40-50 grand. And thats cash too btw, no loans for a 40 y/o car.

If I was a millionaire I'd prolly drop a few coins on some historic cars + a nice garage to showcase them. But thats not for a few years.....
Old 09-25-2008, 10:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by The Batman
i laugh when i hear people say those old cars where slow. They forget easily that the bias-supply tires didnt ever hook up for ****. Now throw on some decent tires and your 350hp (underrated) 4-bolt main 350ci SBC with a 3.73 or 4.11 rear end just got alot quicker. Ask a little kid to point to a fast car at a car show once...i bet he doesnt point to anything but an old muscle car...
every old car I've street raced has gotten its *** raped. I have a stock 02 Z28. Who cares what little kids think are fast, wtf do they know? They think rice burners with body kits are the same as a formula one car.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:27 AM
HTX
TECH Regular

who cares how fast it is. Its still a badass car that gets **** tons of respect. No one cares about 4th gen camaros. Everybody and thier little brother has had one at some point in time.

But an original muscle car. Thats just jaws on the floor.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:42 AM

Well, I a new guy on this board, but long time into cars. I have a 01 Z28 that I am tring to sell and I'm losing my *** on it compaired to what I paid. If I used that money to buy a deicent classic instead I would not be in this situation, the performance is great the resale sucks, buy your first gen.
Old 09-27-2008, 10:21 PM
Teching In

Questions like this have always made me laugh. You see some people look at a 40-year old car and forget that the evolution of technology has got them where they're at. Then when they assume that a 40-year old car hasn't seen any benefits of the increasing technology really makes me laugh. I currently own a few Camaros, but the one I drive as a daily driver is a car I've got less than $5k in(I'm a cheap guy who'd rather wrench). It's a '68 that has a 454+.060(so it's anything but slow), it has 4-wheel discs from an '01 Trans Am(so it stops almost as good as my '00 Camaro), has a 1 1/8" front swaybar, Guildstrand mod on the upper control arms, and front springs from a Chevelle big block wagon with ac(so the car handles great), 3.42 12-bolt posi, and the harness was completely swapped for a painless harness. About the only thing the '00 has on it is air conditioning and gas mileage(which is important right now) so I'm looking for a T56 to get the overdrive(will I ever get 20+mpg??? NO). The fact that today I was driving by a show today and 3-guys in newer model vettes wanted to talk about my car amazed the hell out of me because I know how it was pieced together. And yes, I was offered money for it(why do they all think they can buy it). So understand we don't all build them as timecapsules and we all don't all throw buckets of money at them hoping for the best(I've seen what the tubular front clips are going for). And yes, I also think you're a moron if you think "it isn't fast".

Last edited by USA1CAMARO1969; 09-27-2008 at 10:23 PM. Reason: spell-check
Old 09-27-2008, 10:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by HTX
who cares how fast it is. Its still a badass car that gets **** tons of respect. No one cares about 4th gen camaros. Everybody and thier little brother has had one at some point in time.

But an original muscle car. Thats just jaws on the floor.
+1!!!! preach on.

id rather have a clean(good paint, runs good, no major problems) 67 or 68 then, lets say, a '98-02 ss camaro. call me crazy. i could care less if my car is faster then yours. theres always someone faster. id still be in a 1st gen camaro and you wouldnt. that right there is a win in my eyes.
Old 09-27-2008, 10:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by USA1CAMARO1969
Questions like this have always made me laugh. You see some people look at a 40-year old car and forget that the evolution of technology has got them where they're at. Then when they assume that a 40-year old car hasn't seen any benefits of the increasing technology really makes me laugh. I currently own a few Camaros, but the one I drive as a daily driver is a car I've got less than $5k in(I'm a cheap guy who'd rather wrench). It's a '68 that has a 454+.060(so it's anything but slow), it has 4-wheel discs from an '01 Trans Am(so it stops almost as good as my '00 Camaro), has a 1 1/8" front swaybar, Guildstrand mod on the upper control arms, and front springs from a Chevelle big block wagon with ac(so the car handles great), 3.42 12-bolt posi, and the harness was completely swapped for a painless harness. About the only thing the '00 has on it is air conditioning and gas mileage(which is important right now) so I'm looking for a T56 to get the overdrive(will I ever get 20+mpg??? NO). The fact that today I was driving by a show today and 3-guys in newer model vettes wanted to talk about my car amazed the hell out of me because I know how it was pieced together. And yes, I was offered money for it(why do they all think they can buy it). So understand we don't all build them as timecapsules and we all don't all throw buckets of money at them hoping for the best(I've seen what the tubular front clips are going for). And yes, I also think you're a moron if you think "it isn't fast".
so true. my brother always had people offer to buy his car.
Old 09-27-2008, 11:20 PM
On The Tree

Do whatever makes you happy man. You can ask everybody on here for their opinion, and you'll get just that. If you want one go get one. If you like it then cool you just made a good choice. If you don't like it then just sell it, cut your losses, and go on to the next one. At least then you will know for your self. Just my $.02

Quick Reply: This car is so beautiful but... would ya own one?