Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans
View Poll Results: Own one plus a beater?
No way dude you don't know what youre getting into.
36.36%
Hell yes, bliss at its finest even if it isn't fast.
63.64%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

This car is so beautiful but... would ya own one?

Old 09-28-2008, 12:11 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To me it's no contest, Old school American Muscle! I love my T/A but if I could swap it right now for a 69 Chevelle, I'd do it in a heartbeat. I wouldn't care if it was slow and heavy. It can be built just like any thing else we drive. It's classic, It's metal, It demands respect. Just think of that last scene in the ricer movie, Fast and Furious, I can't remember who won the stupid race between the supra and the Charger, but I do remember when the Charger wheel-stands on the green light. Always gives me goosebumps. That is what a old muscle car is to me!

My 2 cents.
Old 09-28-2008, 01:05 AM
HTX
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by mrkimber44
To me it's no contest, Old school American Muscle! I love my T/A but if I could swap it right now for a 69 Chevelle, I'd do it in a heartbeat. I wouldn't care if it was slow and heavy. It can be built just like any thing else we drive. It's classic, It's metal, It demands respect. Just think of that last scene in the ricer movie, Fast and Furious, I can't remember who won the stupid race between the supra and the Charger, but I do remember when the Charger wheel-stands on the green light. Always gives me goosebumps. That is what a old muscle car is to me!

My 2 cents.
That movie should never be refered to again when speaking about real cars
Old 09-28-2008, 08:58 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe I missed something, but why all the hate on the OP? Seemed like a legitimate question as far as I'm concerned. Fact is, there is a trade off when going to an older car, even if it is a classic. I thought the OP was just asking if the trade offs are worth it.

I went through the same thought process - I really wanted to get a 68 Camaro and restore it, but after doing a little research, I realized that dream would have to be put on the back burner because it would have cost a bundle of money and a lot of time. If the OP does go the old car route, he just have to accept the car for what it is.

I wanted (and got) a ten year old 97 Z28 because it was a good balance between performance, cost and "classic-ness", especially since I couldn't afford a 97 when they were new. No, my Z28 isn't as fast as some family sedans, but that's not the point and I accept the car for what it is. I bought "the car" because it was "the car" I've always liked and wanted, just like a 68 Camaro.
Old 09-28-2008, 06:29 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by HTX
That movie should never be refered to again when speaking about real cars
Thanks D*ck, it was just for visualization.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:25 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Sp00led Ya
Todays standards say a 1st gen Camaro is slow, depending on which one. If it isn't a 396 or better, it is... slow. And it's Porsche. And I'm gay because I also like some of the nicest cars ever made? Right.
Don't have a clue about 1st gens do ya? My 69 SS 350 is pretty quick. These cars are 40 years old what makes you think they haven't been modded? 350, 396, 427, 454, 468, 502, 540, 565, 572, 578 all make good power and weigh less than a 4th gen.

Old 10-29-2009, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by ZeroFear
every old car I've street raced has gotten its *** raped. I have a stock 02 Z28. Who cares what little kids think are fast, wtf do they know? They think rice burners with body kits are the same as a formula one car.
You sir are retarded, there are a slew of 60s cars that would rape your slow *** car. You are exactly the type of people I love to roll across in my 87 camaro, so I can laugh as your girlfriend asks you why your car just raped by an old car. You think an can make more power than a sbc or bbc can huh?
Old 10-29-2009, 02:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

I love my first gen.

With a modified 430 LS7, Bowler 4l65e, Compushift, Hurst Dual gate it moves well.

SPC Prolite UCA, SPC LCA, AFX spindles, SKF C6 racing hubs, custom 600# springs, DA Varishocks all around, Baer GT stoppers with Hydroboost, DSE 12:7 box, Mark Williams aluminum shaft, 12 bolt posi and a CA G-Link 4link rear make it handle on rails and neck breakin stops.

I think first gens, especially a 69 looks killer!

Old 10-29-2009, 03:15 PM
On The Tree

Why are some of you getting so touchy about this subject? Most old school muscle cars were infact slow! As far as small blocks were concerned if it was anything short of an LT-1 350 under the hood then forget about it! It had the performance that todays Honda Accords can beat. And many of those high-horsepower big block V8's of the olden days were actually "over-rated" as opposed to under partially due to the way they measured horsepower back in those days. Most would be lucky to dip into the mid 13's at 105 traps with the exception of a few of the limited more expensive models. Their performance is similar to that of the 93-02 LT1/LS1 cars stock for stock and I think we would all agree that wouldn't be considered 'fast'.
Old 10-29-2009, 03:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^ Very nice ride ss dave!

I also don't get some of the harsh responses to the OP..?

I love the look of first gens but it all depends on how much you have to spend, what you really want out of a car, how long you want to wait and how much you want to spend to get to that point...

If you have $6k and are looking for a complete car that is "fast," 4th gen it is.

If you have a bigger budget and are comparing a porsche or newer car to a first gen, think of buying a roller first gen like mentioned, do some research, get your hands dirty, and you could have a dead sexy first gen that has more power and handles amazing for the same price..

It all depends on what you want and what you are willing and able to do to get there.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:36 PM
Teching In

+1 for the first gen lsx crowd! If you don't think a first gen is fast enough, throw some lsx in it!
Old 10-29-2009, 08:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

It's not the image, I love these cars I just don't know if the lack of performance would eat at me.
hahah my 71 camaro would probably **** up anything you own.

dont get one tool
Old 10-29-2009, 08:26 PM
HTX
TECH Regular

did no one notice that this thread is a year old?
Old 10-29-2009, 08:29 PM
HTX
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SneakySSnake
You sir are retarded, there are a slew of 60s cars that would rape your slow *** car. You are exactly the type of people I love to roll across in my 87 camaro, so I can laugh as your girlfriend asks you why your car just raped by an old car. You think an can make more power than a sbc or bbc can huh?
I would really like to see this "slew" of 60s cars you speek of. Seeing as though in the 60s a 13 second car was considered pretty damn fast. and guys modded the **** out of their cars to run high 11s. There were fast cars in the 60s. But a 1st gen does not compare to an LS1 fbod. stock vs stock or even mod vs mod.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:29 PM
Staging Lane

It's not the image, I love these cars I just don't know if the lack of performance would eat at me.
If you dont like how the car preforms but you like how it looks wouldn't that be image?
To be honest, and try not to take offense here, you don't seem like a guy who's really into the car itself. You seem more like a guy that's into speed regardless of what car it is. Also i wouldn't recommend getting a first gen and then trying to make it faster to street race. First gens have like 0 safety features (1 if you include belts) which you might need depending on how you drive. Personally i would rather be doing 60 in a first gen then 120 in my 4th but to each his own.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:33 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by HTX
did no one notice that this thread is a year old?
You know. . .i was wondering why a 3 page post popped out of nowhere when i check this site every day. . .

Also don't in the 60's the cars that ran 13's rand out of gas A LOT faster then today. Today its performance but economy. My Z28 ran 13's my first time at the track a month or 2 ago and still got me 30mpg highway on the way home.
Old 10-31-2009, 03:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

IMO those cars are for shows only like SEMA, but not DDs.
Old 10-31-2009, 10:21 PM
Launching!

We just fired up my dads 67 today, I originally paid 9k for a RS SS roller. The car was near mint though. It was only missing minor things. It has lots of options as well. We are in the process of weeding out the bad wires that run to the starter. I can say it takes a lot of money and I mean alot, that and time to restore one right. If its not rust, its wiring, or its the shitty brake systems on them. Trust me when I say, this little roller turn street car has almost hit 15k and we havent even touched to body yet. Be prepared to spend 10-20k in resto easy. Now you can get a no option driver for roughly 9k+ if you shop around. The biggest problem with the first gen camaros is that they are almost 45 years old, and time has caught up with most of them. In the long run though, there is nothing like sitting behind the wheel of a piece of history. That is one car that will never go out of style.
Old 11-01-2009, 03:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

My take on it is this. First off, the OP doesn't sound like he knows all that much about cars in general to be honest. He sounds like the type that throws a CAI on his car and thinks hes hot ****. Maybe its just me though? Personally, I love cruising around in my '69 C10. Its just something thats fun to drive around when everythings 100%, but thats the thing. Older cars are almost NEVER 100%. Theres always something wrong with em. Sure, I HATE driving my truck when its hot cause of no AC, and in the winter cause the heater doesn't work for ****, and in the rain cause the brakes lock up and it hydroplanes like a ****, and not to mention I HATE not being about to do anything but cruise around town and not get on the highway cause no overdrive and 3.73s that make it run outa gear at 98mph, but thats just how they are. I accept that and I knew that when I got it. I also knew that I would inevitably be working on it all the time just to keep it running good. If its not one thing, its another. I'd love to have a '69 Camaro, but I know I wouldn't be able to drive it every day for simple reasons like I have with my truck, but thats how it goes. Sure my trucks not THAT fast, but its pretty damn quick when its running right, lol, but I kinda got a reality check when I surprisingly stayed right next to a 98 Z28 all the way to 70 when we let off. Not to mention I think the owner of the Porsche I raced got a reality check of his own when a old truck whooped his ***.

Originally Posted by Boomer Sooner
so true. my brother always had people offer to buy his car.
You would expect that from a 69 Camaro, but surprisingly, I get 3-4 offers on my truck a WEEK. Its rediculous. I mean its just a '69 C10 for christ sake...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: This car is so beautiful but... would ya own one?