Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Autometer speedo problem LS1 69 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 04:45 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Autometer speedo problem LS1 69 Camaro

I have a 4L60E in my 69 LS1 Camaro. It is using a Gm computer (1998 F body style).

I am running Autometer Pro-Comp ultra lite gauges. The speedo has worked perfect for nearly 4 years when the other day it died. I sent it back to Autometer - they confirmed it was bad and replaced it with a current model that looks exactly the same, but has new technology inside.

Anyway - I hooked it up and the transmission wouldn't shift right. Hooked the Tech II up and found no speedo signal with the speedo gauge plugged in. When I unplug it I get a speedo signal to the computer.

Called Autometer - they told me the new version may require a 1K or a 3.7K resistor inline to correct the problem. I bought those and tried it out today. The 1K resistor will allow the car to shift - but no speedo read out and it is reading about 8 mph off at the computer. The 3.7 k kills the shifting and no gauge reading at all.

How common is this with the new gauge design? Anybody work this out?
Old 10-02-2008, 10:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i wasnt aware that there was an old and new style speedometer. I put an electric speedo in my 87 when i swapped the ls1 and the t56 and it had to be calibrated out of the box. Even says so in the manual. just an idea

Quick Reply: Autometer speedo problem LS1 69 Camaro