Go Back   LS1TECH > NATIONAL EVENTS > Chevrolet Performance LSX Challenge Series and LSX Shootout
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Chevrolet Performance LSX Challenge Series and LSX Shootout Chevrolet Performance LSX Challenge Series and LSX Shootout • NMCA Florida - Bradenton Motorsports Park - Bradenton, FL - March 21-24, 2013 • Chevy High Performance Nationals - Atlanta Dragway - Commerce, GA - May 31-Jun 2 2013 • Holley LS Fest - Beech Bend Raceway - Bowling Green, KY - September 6-8 2013 • NMCA Indiana / LSX Shootout - Lucas Oil Raceway at Indianapolis Raceway Park - Indianapolis, IN - October 10-13 2013

LSX Index

Old 04-15-2008, 04:20 PM   #1
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Trader Rating: 34
Default LSX Index

Quote:
Trans brakes, delay boxes, cross-over boxes, or any “reaction-time related” electronic bracket racing aids prohibited in this class. Throttle stops and all related throttle-stop type accessories prohibited.
Doh a friend pointed this out to me on the phone today, trans brakes are prohibited? Hmmmmm.
1998 Camaro | 12.1@118 | 150, stock internal sold

LSX RECORD LIST
Pro Stock John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 12:40 PM   #2
Banned

Trader Rating: 51
Send a message via AIM to Wonderbread

The trans brake deal is pretty stupid. I dont run one, but I know people that do. That is a bunch of ****!
Wonderbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 01:53 PM   #3
TECH Senior Member

Trader Rating: 27

All that looks to be the same as last year. Is the trans brake rule new this year?
Old 04-16-2008, 02:42 PM   #4
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Yup, here are last year's rules:

2007 LSX INDEX CLASS RULES - Released April 11, 2007
1998 Camaro | 12.1@118 | 150, stock internal sold

LSX RECORD LIST
Pro Stock John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 05:47 PM   #5
FormerVendor

Trader Rating: 0

Just spoke to some of the tech guys here about this issue. The rule has been added to keep the playing field level. They feel that if trans brakes are allowed it could easily mean a proliferation of these type cars/devices in the class, which could alienate the footbrake guys who make up the majority of the class – forcing them to either step up and buy more junk to be competitive, or just give up. Also from a technical perspective, it helps the process by not having to spend a bunch of time trying to figure out if the wires attached to the thing are there for the intended purpose, or perhaps branch out into something -- uhm -- else.
If you have one on your car, you can still race, but it will be required to be inoperable and verified by the tech folk at the event.
NMCA Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 06:05 PM   #6
kp
8 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMCA Scott View Post
Just spoke to some of the tech guys here about this issue. The rule has been added to keep the playing field level. They feel that if trans brakes are allowed it could easily mean a proliferation of these type cars/devices in the class, which could alienate the footbrake guys who make up the majority of the class – forcing them to either step up and buy more junk to be competitive, or just give up. Also from a technical perspective, it helps the process by not having to spend a bunch of time trying to figure out if the wires attached to the thing are there for the intended purpose, or perhaps branch out into something -- uhm -- else.
If you have one on your car, you can still race, but it will be required to be inoperable and verified by the tech folk at the event.
What do you do with a TCI trans brake like mine that you have to use for reverse? Just dont park where you have to back up I guess lol.

No offense Scott but allowing 8.50 cars and not allowing trans brakes is ridiculous IMO If these types of cars arent what you want in the class limit the ET to 10.0 or something for the showdown..
2014 Corvette auto, stock - for now.
kp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 07:22 PM   #7
8 Second Club

Trader Rating: 75
Send a message via AIM to SSPerformance

yes i agree the rule is kinda stupid in the lower et index when ur that deep into it the t-brake is not that much more.
1998 Camaro Z28 440LSX 8.50 Index car SOLD
SSPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 07:36 PM   #8
FormerVendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kp View Post
What do you do with a TCI trans brake like mine that you have to use for reverse? Just dont park where you have to back up I guess lol.

No offense Scott but allowing 8.50 cars and not allowing trans brakes is ridiculous IMO If these types of cars arent what you want in the class limit the ET to 10.0 or something for the showdown..
LOL.. No offense taken KP as I am just the messenger, but I'll make sure the guys here understand where those of you with faster cars are coming from. It does present a quandary for sure.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:33 PM   #9
kp
8 Second Club

Quote:
LOL.. No offense taken KP as I am just the messenger, but I'll make sure the guys here understand where those of you with faster cars are coming from. It does present a quandary for sure.
I can understand why you guys dont want faster or more race oriented cars in that class. Why not split the index class, maybe 8.50-10.00 as a 'fast' index class and let trans brakes in. You could even get creative and run the faster index class last and let the 1st round losers of DR and all motor run it if they make it back to the lanes in time. That way you arent taking cars out of heads up classes to run the faster index if they are thinking of bailing out because they arent quick enough.

Leave 10.00 and slower foot brake only, be easier to ladder also, I dont know why I wasted my time qualifying when there was no ladder lol, C16 is expensive and I could have slept a couple more hours.

Not to mention it will be a lot better from a spectator point of view since the cars are a little closer together ET-wise. Plus easier to manage the staging lanes as well with the faster cars separated from the slower ones when called.

Just rambling, I know it probably wont change but it sure would be nice to give the in between cars a decent class..
Old 04-16-2008, 08:50 PM   #10
FormerVendor

I'll need to go back over the number of entries again. I know I posted it somewhere here last year -- breaking down the car count by et. This way I can see how the numbers stack up and then let the others take a look at it.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:09 PM   #11
kp
8 Second Club

Here is the thread:

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showth...ght=9.00+index

Here is what you posted a while back:

9.00 -- 2
9.50 -- 1
10.0 -- 7
10.5 -- 5
11.0 -- 10
11.5 -- 11
12.0 -- 13
12.5 -- 4
13.0 -- 4
13.5 -- 3
14.0 -- 5

I changed it since you missed the one 9.50 car.

If you went 10.5-8.50 thats 15 cars, which still is more than either DR or all motor had. DR had 12 cars qualified and All motor had 6 cars..

There are qite a few cars in the mid/high 8s and low/mid 9s that just arent going to take a chance in DR. And thats a shame because they represent cars that are usually home built and have a heck of a lot of time and money invested to be lumped in with 13 second cars and their ***** cut off with no trans brake allowed.

But then again maybe no one cares
Old 04-16-2008, 09:25 PM   #12
FormerVendor

Thanks Kevin. I'll run it up the flagpole. And before you DR guys get all in a "splitting the class" twist -- understand that there are a heck of a lot more cars we are talking about here -- also -- this is only an idea. I doubt anything will come of it, but I'll make sure it's at least considered.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:05 PM   #13
10 Second Club

Trader Rating: 74
Send a message via AIM to ls1pwrdss Send a message via Yahoo to ls1pwrdss

**** i just put a th350 with a brake in my car.
i only run 11's what if i disconect the brake and foot brake it
Old 04-16-2008, 11:46 PM   #14
kp
8 Second Club

Quote:
Thanks Kevin. I'll run it up the flagpole. And before you DR guys get all in a "splitting the class" twist -- understand that there are a heck of a lot more cars we are talking about here -- also -- this is only an idea. I doubt anything will come of it, but I'll make sure it's at least considered.
Thats cool Scott, I know everyone is reluctant to change anything since it was somewhat successful last year. But there is always room for improvement and non drastic changes.
Old 04-17-2008, 10:01 PM   #15
DRAG RACING IS LIFE! Mod

Trader Rating: 5
Send a message via AIM to Villain281H

I can see both sides on this, but keep in mind the EFI class is the closest one that makes the regular tour to the LSX index class with a 5 tenths pro tree and preset half second indexes, and there are no transbrakes allowed in it either.
Check out pictures and info: www.fquick.com/Villain281H
Videos here: www.youtube.com/user/Villain281H
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL ws-6 View Post
I don't send people on vacation often. But when I do, it's for 3 months minimum (in the best Dos equis voice possible)
Villain281H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 11:17 PM   #16
kp
8 Second Club

Late model EFI also includes Vipers, Mustangs and whatnot, the LSX index race does not so I dont see what that has to do with anything there are index races all across the country running every weekind so it sure isnt anything novel..

FWIW Late Model EFI allowed trans brakes last year, and guess what a 13 second footbrake car won the championship. And John cut some pretty damn good lights as well. If you have a car that can red light on a .500 pro tree (like mine) its harder to cut a good light with no delay box so I dont see the big deal about the trans brakes, it goes both ways. On a .400 tree there would most definately be an advantage but its not a .400 so its moot.
Old 04-18-2008, 02:25 PM   #17
Banned

Trader Rating: 51
Send a message via AIM to Wonderbread

Quote:
They feel that if trans brakes are allowed it could easily mean a proliferation of these type cars/devices in the class, which could alienate the footbrake guys who make up the majority of the class – forcing them to either step up and buy more junk to be competitive, or just give up.
Well I won the index class last year, with a foot brake 11.50 car, and I raced a few faster Tbrake cars.....

So obviously it can be done with a foot brake car vs. t-brake cars.

Hi Scott Have ya missed me? lol
Wonderbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 11:27 PM   #18
10 Second Club

Trader Rating: 74
Send a message via AIM to ls1pwrdss Send a message via Yahoo to ls1pwrdss

allow the t brakes or just let us disconnect them im not a fast car i just braket race so i cant hang with the big dogs in all motor or drag radial
Old 04-20-2008, 01:24 PM   #19
DRAG RACING IS LIFE! Mod

Trader Rating: 5
Send a message via AIM to Villain281H

Kevin,

I understand your point, and I didn't read last year's rulebook so my fault there. Just trying to see where NMCA's viewpoint is coming from. I know Open Comp allows them on the 5 tenths pro tree, but again that's everything from old cars to new cars.

Derek
Check out pictures and info: www.fquick.com/Villain281H
Videos here: www.youtube.com/user/Villain281H
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL ws-6 View Post
I don't send people on vacation often. But when I do, it's for 3 months minimum (in the best Dos equis voice possible)
Villain281H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 08:28 PM   #20
kp
8 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villain281H View Post
Kevin,

I understand your point, and I didn't read last year's rulebook so my fault there. Just trying to see where NMCA's viewpoint is coming from. I know Open Comp allows them on the 5 tenths pro tree, but again that's everything from old cars to new cars.

Derek
I know, I'm just saying that last year trans brakes were allowed in both the LSX race and late model EFI and both were won by slower footbrake cars.

Around here in footbrake you arent supposed to have a trans that shifts by itself since thats an advantage over manual trans and older autos. IMO cutting a decent light on a .500 tree with a 12 second car isnt an issue but the consistancy of leaving a 4L60 in drive is a much bigger advantage than a 9 second trans brake/manual shifted auto or the poor stick shift guys IMO. Even though I notice I could run an airshifter and footbrake which would help me more than the trans brake, my car runs just fine off the footbrake but I'm not going to glaze over my direct clutches trying to back it up because they make me disconnect the TB solenoid. Honestly I run downtrack timing retards to slow the car up to where I want it, I can either start them with the trans brake solenoid or with the brake light switch so not allowing a brake doesnt help that at all. And since there is no external boxes you really cant police that.. But in the end the trans brake, all the fancy electronics and consistancy in the world doesnt help when the driver shifts from first to third lol.

But IMO the best solution would be a 'fast' and 'slow' bracket class instead of lumping 8.50-14.00 second cars together which makes for some pretty lopsided and confusng racing to say the least when 64 cars show up for 1st round. I'll even bitch a little about how much it sucks to be strapped in a low 9 second car waiting in the staging lanes with 80 other cars to make a pass starting it up and rolling up a few feet ever 10 minutes on a sunny 80 degree day, big difference between that and sitting there waiting in jeans and a t-shirt in a stockish car

Or even just make one 8.50 to 9.50 heads up index class for the faster cars that cant run DR. In reality the showdown class really isnt an index race, its a bracket race with dial ins set at .5 second intervals. An index race would be all cars running the same ET like I do almost every weekend (6.0 1/8 mile index is where I have been racing mostly) but I'm sure they do that just to make it sound slightly different than the regular bracket race they run and open comp.

Either way if they just want a bunch of 11-14 second street cars for the showdown dont put on a facade by allowing 8.50 cars in and then say you cant run a trans brake and you really dont want any of that 'type' of car running in that class. How many footbrake 8.50 1/4 mile cars are out there in any class..

FWIW I'm just giving some observations, everyone said 'come on down' and we'll adjust the rules next year when we see how it goes and who shows up. Only thing I seen changed was they now dont allow trans brakes in the index class and a trans brake car didnt even win, and they now have a 8.50 index. They told the nitrous guys to 'come on down' and they did, and they didnt change anything much in DR. The 'come on down' thing works once, maybe twice but for what it costs to travel these days and race I doubt it will work many times

Last edited by kp; 04-20-2008 at 08:38 PM..
Old 04-20-2008, 08:28 PM
LS1Tech
Pontiac Firebird

Paid Advertisement