Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Project LS1Bandit finally hits the road!

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 06:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Project LS1Bandit finally hits the road!

It's been 9 long years since my baby last cruised the highways. Today was her triumphant return.

Sorry I haven't posted in a really long time. Mostly things have just been progressing glacially slow. But we're almost at the finish line! The only 2 things left to be done are:

1) Get the speedometer working. I've been waiting for a part that's supposed to convert the electronic to mechanical from Terf for over 2 years now !?! He keeps telling me it'll be done in about 2 weeks. For 2 freaking years he's been telling me this. At this point I'm going to have to try and find another solution. I need a working speedo to get it passed by the CA ref. Right now it's still under PA registration.

2) Get a leather boot made for the shifter. That should be done on monday.

Anyway. I took her out on a stunning 90 mile drive today, through the mountains and up the coast. Here are a couple photos.

Last edited by LS1Bandit; 06-19-2013 at 12:28 AM. Reason: fixed image links
Old 10-18-2008, 06:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

looks pretty sick.....the only thing I would do is get with yearone and do their shaker conversion for the LSX motors and get those sweetazz rims they have for it.

Congrats on the car, its sexy as hell.
Old 10-18-2008, 06:29 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Summerwolf
looks pretty sick.....the only thing I would do is get with yearone and do their shaker conversion for the LSX motors and get those sweetazz rims they have for it.
I asked them about the shaker conversion about a year ago and they said they weren't selling it. Are they selling it now? Now that I have it mounted, I'm not really inclined to do anything different.

As for the rims ... frankly I like mine better, which is good considering they were custom built to my specs and cost a freakin' buttload.

Oh, and I started my project *long* before they came out with theirs. I secretly believe they got the idea from me, as I talked to them many times over the course of my project, giving them details of what I was doing while I was ordering parts and stuff from them. But who knows....
Old 10-18-2008, 07:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nice ride
Old 10-18-2008, 07:13 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LS1Bandit
I asked them about the shaker conversion about a year ago and they said they weren't selling it. Are they selling it now? Now that I have it mounted, I'm not really inclined to do anything different.

As for the rims ... frankly I like mine better, which is good considering they were custom built to my specs and cost a freakin' buttload.

Oh, and I started my project *long* before they came out with theirs. I secretly believe they got the idea from me, as I talked to them many times over the course of my project, giving them details of what I was doing while I was ordering parts and stuff from them. But who knows....

i think so... thief's
Old 10-18-2008, 07:44 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LS1Bandit
1) Get the speedometer working. I've been waiting for a part that's supposed to convert the electronic to mechanical from Terf for over 2 years now !?! He keeps telling me it'll be done in about 2 weeks. For 2 freaking years he's been telling me this. At this point I'm going to have to try and find another solution. I need a working speedo to get it passed by the CA ref. Right now it's still under PA registration.
You need an Abbott Cable-X box.

Here's some tips on using it:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...hlight=cable+x
Old 10-18-2008, 08:21 PM
Launching!

awesome car man, love the wheels
Old 10-18-2008, 11:22 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 12thstreetjunkman
awesome car man, love the wheels
agreed
Old 10-18-2008, 11:22 PM
Launching!

Beautiful ride!!!

Who makes those rims?
Old 10-18-2008, 11:36 PM
On The Tree

The wheels are Work VS-XX - a 3 piece forged wheel. I did quite a few back-and-forths with them trying to make sure to get the offsets correct.

FWIW, my measurements indicated I needed 17x10.5" with 5.75" backspacing in the rear and 17x9.5" with 5.5" backspacing in the front. However Work was unable to do the 5.5" on the 17x9.5" wheels so I had to go with 5.68". It seems to have worked out OK though.
Old 10-19-2008, 07:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Wow, I dig it!!
Please, tell me it is a T56 car!

+1 on making the shaker functional.
Andrew (Project GaTagO) made his shaker functional on his GTO.
Pics are on page 9 I think:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...=879985&page=9
However, the whole thread is well worth reading!
Old 10-19-2008, 09:56 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by subtlez28
Please, tell me it is a T56 car!
Of course it is! Pretty interesting/funny/cool that the T56 shifter comes up right about where the automatic shifter used to, which made it so that my automatic console worked perfectly, whereas if I had actually had a manual originally, it wouldn't have worked.

+1 on making the shaker functional.
Yeah, I had thought about it. But there were a number of reasons I didn't. One was just that there are fewer-and-fewer of these shakers around, and it kind of hurt thinking about destroying one of them.

I may eventually do it, however I don't think I have enough clearance between the engine and the hood to do it the way Andrew did.
Old 10-19-2008, 10:22 AM
Launching!

You are missing a bolt on your fender/core support bracket.

Seriously though, car looks really good. I have always liked the way those cars looked but for a while now, they have been gold when trying to get one in workable shape. It is kind of hard to tell but it looks like it has kind of a 4x4 stance to it. Does it sit that high or is it the camera angle?

What does it say on the side of your scoop?

SWS
Old 10-19-2008, 10:32 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by seawalkersee
You are missing a bolt on your fender/core support bracket.
Good eye! Yes, that fell out on the drive home.

It is kind of hard to tell but it looks like it has kind of a 4x4 stance to it. Does it sit that high or is it the camera angle?
Camera angle. It's actually really low. Almost too low. I scrape on a lot of things.

What does it say on the side of your scoop?
"T/A - 6.6" referring to the original 6.6L engine that was in there. Of course it's a little bit of a "lie" now. Maybe some day I'll have it bored out to 6.6.
Old 10-19-2008, 01:02 PM
9 Second Club

wow the car looks awesome
Old 10-19-2008, 01:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, that looks really sharp. Well done man!!!

Mike
Old 10-19-2008, 02:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

LOL, at someone recommending you contact year one....when you already have custom 3 piece Works VS wheels....those damn wheels are spendy!

That is an amazingly sweet car, great work!
Old 10-19-2008, 04:26 PM
TECH Regular

Car looks fantastic! Easy enought o move that shifter back too. Mine is in line with my steering wheel now. Just make a little bracket with a small z-bend to keep the shifter in the center of the hole that bolts to the shifter arm on the transmission and to the shifter itself I welded the shifter side on mine. I also haven't made my shaker functional, seems like a bit of work for about zero actual benefit and theres not a whole lot of room between the shaker and the intake manifold as is.

Car looks fantastic!
Old 10-19-2008, 06:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love the look and +1 on the LS1 conversion. I would like to see how you mounted the scoop to the LS1. I have one on my 98 T/A, but it is on a STB. I have some ideas on how to mount it to the intake, but my goal is to get some shake out of it, and the clearance above the air box is just too tight.
As far as functional goes, I catch flack for not having it, but after talking to someone who killed a NEW late model GTO by doing the same (took a drink in its first rain storm), I am not too concerned with satisfying the haters. I feel I am risking it enough regarding water with my Fast Toys Ram Air.
Old 10-19-2008, 06:36 PM
TECH Resident

ohh great work. u remind me the 80s movies. I like that time

Quick Reply: Project LS1Bandit finally hits the road!