Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Externally Regulated to Internally Regulated w/LSx??

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 10:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Question Externally Regulated to Internally Regulated w/LSx??

Hey guys, I am finishing up my 2004 LSx 5.3 conversion in my '69 C10. Well I dropped in the battery, hooked up the terminals, and double checked all grounds only to find out I don't have most of my electrical working. After chasing a few wires with a test light I realized I am not going through my external regulator anymore. My alternator has a computer plug that runs into the computer harness and single power post on the back, so basically its a one-wire alternator.

In its intended application (and the way its currently setup in my truck) the single post on the back of the alternator runs a 8 gauge wire to the + side of the battery. Then it has another connector plug that runs directly into the factory computer wire harness. I am assuming the computer controls the regulator in this case.

I don't have the two other 'tabs' like most other 10si and 12si alternators, so because of this it makes things alittle harder.

Basically I need to know which wires in the truck's factory loom need to be cut, spliced, and/or connected together.

Who has actually done this before with the latest GM alternator and an older externally regulated car/truck. This way it would eliminate any guess work because they have been there, done that. In other words, if you don't know, please don't guess.

So, does anyone know what I need to do to convert this thing over?

Any help is thanked in advance.
Old 10-21-2008, 01:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The alternator on the LSx motors are unlike anything else, and are actually controlled by the PCM. The single wire plug you see on the alternator goes to the PCM. Once engine RPM exceeds about 400rpm it sends a signal to the alternator to turn on. THis system will obviously have nothing to do with any external regulator the vehicle originally used. The charging wire on the back of the alternator will run directly to the battery. Your external reg can be removed as it is unneeded.

Re'