Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stainless Works Quality and Fit

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 11:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Stainless Works Quality and Fit

I posted a issue a while back about the fit of SW headers with the new BRP mount kit showing interferences with the idler arm and touching the steering box. I also got a reply from someone using them on a S&P mount kit and they had to dent the idler arm area to get them to fit also. Hoping that SW would correct their headers to fit all conversions better I contacted them and showed them the problem. After waiting 3 weeks with a response being about about a week at time I asked for a timeframe and price. The response was $3k to do it saying it was a custom installation. When pulling off the headers I noticed daylight at the flange through the #2 tube. Needless to say I will be waiting for BRP's stainless or going with a custom set locally.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-swaps/998309-warning-sw-headers-do-not-fit-brp-engine-kit-first-gens.html
Attached Thumbnails Stainless Works Quality and Fit-dscf3195.jpg   Stainless Works Quality and Fit-dscf3199.jpg  
Old 11-06-2008, 04:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Default SW headers

I have bought some stainless works for my 69 - BRP has 2 different mounting setups for firstgens one-the early design moved engine forward about 2" - no oil pan mods needed-and installing a rack and pinion up front where the sway bar goes- this would require SW special headers. and the newer designed setup that uses the hummer H3 oil pan and retains factory steering linkage - i would bet that SWhas headers for both setups. I havent installed my eng/trans to test fit yet but mine should fit at the time i bought them BRP hadnt had the newer design out yet- hope this helps
Old 11-12-2008, 11:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I would be careful about that statement. The passenger side hits the idler arm. BTW I am using the new BRP mount kit. The SW headers listed for the R&P and the steering box both use the same header on the passenger side. This tells me they didn't do their homework. Another guy reports that with the S&P mounts he still had to dent the header on the passenger side to clear the idler. My next adventure is to try Kooks TBSS headers. Note that most headers will fit the passenger side without and issue as long as the bends coming out of the collector are not too long like SW's. Drivers side has the steering box issue. I will report my findings but I am pretty confident that the Kooks TBSS headers will fit all engine mount kits.
Old 11-18-2008, 07:49 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 69 Ghost
. I will report my findings but I am pretty confident that the Kooks TBSS headers will fit all engine mount kits.
Keep us posted how Kooks fits. I think they are pretty good!!!!
Old 11-18-2008, 07:53 AM
On The Tree

WOW,I just order a catback from them,I hope it fits with no issues
Old 11-18-2008, 09:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I hope you guys are looking closely at the second pic there is daylight through the flange. SW is supposed to be known for quality but the set I got would have leaked. If you are just getting something for a regular car they should be fine. I know they are well thought of in the GTO circles but they lost my business after d@#king me around for 3 weeks which was even before I found the flange problem.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:27 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nevermind the fit, that flange is bad. I have never seen that even on the cheapo 79.99 headers.
Old 11-19-2008, 08:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Kooks TBSS headers on a 69 Camaro

If you guys are looking for a good fit using the new BRP engine mounts or need some clearance look at the TBSS headers from Kooks. They fit with no banging and should clear a pretty much fit all the other mount manufacturers. They do sit a little lower than normal but are level with the oil filter and they also are close to the frame rails. Thanks to Mike and Steve at Haddad Motorsports I would highly recommend them especially if you are in the LA area. I sent Maryland speed a email and they said you install and you will not be able to send them back. Mike matched them and said no problems with a return if they don't fit. I would highly recommend them over MS. Sorry Phil but if BRP had their stainless ready to go I would not have looked. Enclosed are some pics

Attached Thumbnails Stainless Works Quality and Fit-dscf0013.jpg   Stainless Works Quality and Fit-dscf0017.jpg   Stainless Works Quality and Fit-dscf0020.jpg   Stainless Works Quality and Fit-dscf0030.jpg  

Last edited by WILWAXU; 11-19-2008 at 09:32 PM. Reason: non-sponsor link removed
Old 11-20-2008, 01:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Bravo Stainless Works. No fusion of both metals? WEAK!
Old 11-20-2008, 01:32 AM
Launching!

Maybe it's just the view on the pic with the supposes air showing, but I looked at that pic for a few minutes...even zoomed it! That doesn't look like a gap. It looks like a dirty flange with a tiny area wiped clean and shiny. Looking at the other pic, I don't see how there could be a gap.
If that really is an air gap it would be a terrible quality issue.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Trust me it is daylight through the flange. Like I said before I am not sure if it happened when I put them on and the gasket caused it because I did not see it until I took the headers off. If you guys look at the Kooks setup they have some thick welds on the outside of the headers. This may be because they got cracks when cycling the headers in the past which may happen to the SW's but either way the Kooks are better quality. I can't see where they welded the inside of the flanges but you can see where they did some very minor grinding. The collectors also have a cone on the inside. Just a bit more detail on them. They have a lot more bends and are more complicated but they only have 1 tube that is welded together all the other tubes are one piece. This tells me that they take more time getting it right and really know how to work the tubes. I went with the TBSS because I did not think their LS1 conversion headers would clear my steering box based on the pics.
Old 11-24-2008, 09:50 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Guys we now offer a header for the the swap. We offer engine plates as well. The part number is 6451 they are 1 7/8 x 3 and they come with the o2 ext harness. The motor plates are part numberls-1-60017. I hope this helps. If you have any further questions please feel free to call us at 1 866 586 KOOK.Thanks George R
Old 12-24-2008, 06:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do these Kooks headers fit the front mounted steering rack from BRP without having to dent them or have them rub other engine bay components? I just found out that the new headers BRP offers do not fit their front mounted rack.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I am using a rear steer stock box location and it clears fine. I would expect that any front steer setup would work with no problems also.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:45 AM
TECH Regular

What did they say about the hole in the weld on the flange? Did they offer to ship you a new set or anything?

I bought a set of Stainless Works headers for my 3rdgen LS swap and these ones look PERFECT. I inspected the flanges and collectors and they look good. On products like these there are bound to be an issue here and there. I'm surprised it made it through to the consumer though.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:33 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by iansane
I bought a set of Stainless Works headers for my 3rdgen LS swap and these ones look PERFECT.
I'm glad yours fit perfect.... mine need to be heated and bent to fit in the chassis...... I think they are overly priced pos's and would rather build my next set than buy from them again

-jason
Old 01-05-2009, 12:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was hoping they would work on their actual clearance issue so I never asked for them to fix the hole. When they said $3k for a custom set. I boxed them up and sent them back to Jegs. I told them I was not happy with them or the quality and they paid the shipping back. No comparison to the Kooks.
Old 02-07-2009, 07:54 PM
Staging Lane

would you guys now if brp 1 7/8 headers would still fit if i switched to say ats/autokraft motor mounts?? i've been waiting on my headers for almost 2 months ( i guess brp lost my order) and now i'm having second thoughts on using there motor mounts...its for a 70 nova....same as 1st gen camaro

Quick Reply: Stainless Works Quality and Fit