Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

looking to do a conversion, quick question.

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 05:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default looking to do a conversion, quick question.

I am getting ready to do an LSx conversion and am having a brain fart. What truck motors will work (both 5.7 and 6.0) and what years am I looking for? Are there any motors to avoid? I'll be doing rods and pistons, but keeping the stock crank if that matters. Also, do the 2wd trucks come with 4L60's or 4L80's? I have a U Pull it about an hour away and would like to get engine, trans, ECU, TCU and whatever harnesses, so any advice on what to look for would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Joe
Old 10-23-2008, 06:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by kwiksilverz
What truck motors will work (both 5.7 and 6.0)
Trucks came with a 4.8, 5.3, or 6.0. The LS1 and LS6 are the only 5.7L Gen III/IV motors and were found only in cars.

Originally Posted by kwiksilverz
what years am I looking for?
The trucks started using Gen III motors in 1999.
Old 10-23-2008, 07:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here is a little history...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_LS_engine
Old 10-23-2008, 07:28 PM
On The Tree

...and more

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Vortec_engine
Old 10-24-2008, 08:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks guys, now- what about trans? What trucks, if any, came with a 4L60 and what had a 4L80?

Also, the computers and harness and such- I'm assuming I'd need the PCM and TCM, anything else? Is it easy to take the whole harness from the truck (on the spot at a u-pull it), or should I just buy painless stuff? Do the harnesses just unplug separately- like engine harness, trans harness and vehicle harness, or do I have to dissect the whole thing to get what I'd need? I'll figure it out once I see the trucks, but I'm trying to plan and budget this thing out a bit now. Thanks.
Joe
Old 10-24-2008, 09:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

1st question or bit of information that you need to provide is what is the car or truck that you are swapping the engine/trans into ? also do you have to be concern with your local Smog laws ?

The engine harness should be able to get pulled with the engine, just disconnect the harness and lay it on the engine while it is being pulled. It is not that hard to convert to a standalone harness, just need to have read the FAQ here and/or used the FSM for wiring and pinouts. Speartech, Wait4meperformance and other can modify your harness if you don't want to get involved with doing it. Most will also reFlash your PCM to get you started. Have them reflash the PCM to remove any function and code that is not needed (VAT, EGR, AIR, purge valve, etc) and maybe put a basic tune to get you up and running.

Not sure about the trucks.. but the engine harness should have the Trans connector also in the same harness (I could be corrected on this one).

If you want to integrade the harness and donner dash(or parts), gague, idiot light, etc you will then need the BCM module.

The Fuse box should have connections to the engine harness and other. Will make it nice to have the relays and fuse.
Old 10-24-2008, 11:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

The swap vehicle is of no importance one way or another here since it is non-GM, non RWD to begin with- but I am going to build a RWD turbo LS1 (or 6 liter vortec- whatever I find the cheapest) powered 92 Talon for those who are interested .

I will be able to do the harness mods myself and the vehicle harness is covered (I know the DSMs like the back of my hand and have the manuals as well- somewhere lol). I'm going to use as much of the DSM stuff as I can as well (cooling relays, AC controls- yes, I plan on keeping AC and PS , oil/temp sensors, etc.), so I will have plenty of custom harness "merging" to do over the winter.

It won't be my first custom fab job, swap or first time wiring a car, I just have never pulled the stuff from a newer GM vehicle before and wanted to know what I was in for, sounds pretty cut and dry though. Just wanted to be prepared when I got to the u-pull it yard . Oh yeah- where is the TCM even located in the trucks? Is it in the bay or under the dash somewhere? Or do they not use a separate TCM?

As for smog, it's not a problem. Same goes for the tuning- I'll be doing it all via HP Tuners myself. Thanks for the advice guys. Getting anxious to go junk yard hunting before it gets too much colder here, then I have the rest of the winter to get the chassis ready .

Sorry for the somewhat remedial questions. If I were buying a donor vehicle, I'd have time to figure it all out myself, but being that I only have a short period of time to get to the junk yard and pull it all, I need to be prepared when I get there! Thanks.

Last edited by kwiksilverz; 10-24-2008 at 11:23 AM.
Old 10-24-2008, 11:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most 4L60/4L80 in 99-06 trucks do not use a seperate TCM.

Ryan
Old 10-24-2008, 12:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by slow
Most 4L60/4L80 in 99-06 trucks do not use a seperate TCM.

Ryan
OK, that makes it easy then. Thanks!
Joe
Old 10-24-2008, 01:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

yes.. since you are not using or integrading the Dash and other parts (fuel tank and sender, VSS signal, tach, speedo, etc) from the donner with your Talon, then we don't have to go into detail on trying to save or use parts of the harness and can then give you information on using the factory harness as a standalone harness.. that is why I ask..

If it was a car that could be integraded with some of the Talon harness, it would be good information to do some. But we will work it as a standalone harness and setup.