Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LSx Swap into 1998 240SX, exhaust options and maintenace access?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 12:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LSx Swap into 1998 240SX, exhaust options and maintenace access?

I was going to go SR20DET due to it being such a simple swap, but with prices on the LSx's dropping a bit I am thinking about going that route.

The rest of the car is finished...the engine comparment is my last step. I already purchased a 5Zigen 80mm cat back that fits well.

Is it possible to salvage this...is 80mm (3 1/8" roughly) sufficient enough?

I see what appears to be many running 2.5" on both sides of the car with oblong mufflers...but still hanging low. Not many have taken direct pictures of their exhaust setups though so it's hard to tell ground clearance.

Also once the engine is in, how easy is it to maintain? Is anything in such a position that lifting/dropping the engine needs to be done?
Old 10-26-2008, 03:13 PM
TECH Addict

Depends on your power demands? You should be fine up to 450hp with 2.5" exhaust, then you should step up to 3" all the way back. It should still sound like a V8 with that muffler, but keep the external look of an import

Here are a couple routing pics i found. Looks like mid length headers are being used for ground clearance.

Maintenance looks to be easier than a F-body, the entire engine is accessible. Look to Hinson supercars for the K-member/mounting kits.
Old 10-26-2008, 09:04 PM
TECH Regular

Your exhaust should be just fine, run dual 2.5s from the headers into a Y up to a 3", or even 3.5" (then neck down to the 3 1/8"). The engine bay is surprisingly accomidating, you can fit much larger and wider motors with turbos in there without too much trouble.

Quick Reply: LSx Swap into 1998 240SX, exhaust options and maintenace access?