Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

62-67 Nova guys, please chime in.

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 11:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 62-67 Nova guys, please chime in.

I'm going to be helping a buddy of mine put a 5.3/4L60E in to a 63 nova. Currently the car is outfited for the original straight 6. So, there are quote a few things I need. I was hoping some would chime in with what they did for the following:

Motor mounts. Was thinking of buying factory small block Chevy mounts and using an adapter plate.

Next on the list is exhaust. I have a set of shorty headers from a 01 Pick up. They are the factory replacement ones with Catted Y-pipe. Not 100% sure they'll work, if not, will and stock manifold fit? He is not wanting anthing more than a nice little cruiser.

This is similar to what I have right now

Planing on a external Walbro 255. Guessing to make it most simple, use a corvette regulator?

Since the 4L60E is going in, I haven't looked at the factory trans x-member but I'd assume I will have to modify it due to the car being a unibody and it won't slide backwards like it did in my truck in the frame.

Are there any real funky things or snags that I need to be aware of? My truck was very straight forward.

Thanks in advance

Shaun
Old 10-23-2008, 12:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

First off, you need to ditch the stock 6 banger engine stands(frame mounts) and get some for a V8. Once that is done, yes, just use the stock motor mounts with the adapter plate. I modified my adapter plate to move the engine 1" forward to gain clearance at the firewall and in the trans tunnel.

Walbro external pump with a vette regulator is what I run, but you need to sump the tank. I used a competition engineering weld on sump from summit racing.

The exhaust that you have pictured will not even come close to fitting the stock clip. The driver side will not clear the steering box, and the passenger side shows to come out from the head way to far to clear the shock tower. To my knowledge, no manifolds will fit. I personally tried the vette, F-body, and truck with no luck. You may try the CTS-V manifolds, they look really thin, or the new G8 manifolds if you can find some. The issue is the passenger side, you will only have 2" of clearance from the shock tower to the head flange.

Here are a few reference pics of my 5.3 setup http://good-times.webshots.com/album/557624863pacNjI

My 4L60E fit, but it is tight! It currently sits at 4 degrees down in the tunnel due to clearance, I would have liked it to be around 2 degrees. You can modify the stock X member by cutting the mounting points off and welding in an extension on either side.

Jack
Old 10-23-2008, 12:36 PM

Jack,

I tried searching some of the usual places for the frame stands/mounts and didn't find anything. Any chance you have a good place to look or even a part number?

Am I correct in saying it might be better to fab up some adapter plates rather than an off the shelf one? Or what did you do to yours? reem the holes out to allow you to move it forward?

Thanks again

Shaun
Old 10-23-2008, 02:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can find templates on here for the adapter plates, easy to make, I made my own also.

The V8 mounts can be found from any resto shop, like Classic Industries, Modern Performance, Chevy2only etc....

As for exhaust, like Jack said.............I have a TCi clip and dstill ahd to make my own headers, yet someone on here modified some F-body headers for theres.

Fuel system, like Jack said.

Trans, I cut the shifter bosses of the 4L60 to tuck it up a little more and have my setup sitting around 3 degrees down. The Trans crossmember I made and also have subframe connectors that I bolted the crossmember to since the trnas mount is way to the rear compared to the T350/PG trans.
Old 10-23-2008, 07:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LIL SS
Jack,

I tried searching some of the usual places for the frame stands/mounts and didn't find anything. Any chance you have a good place to look or even a part number?

Am I correct in saying it might be better to fab up some adapter plates rather than an off the shelf one? Or what did you do to yours? reem the holes out to allow you to move it forward?

Thanks again

Shaun
Like Duane said, the frame mounts are available at any of the Chevy II parts houses, and run around 75 bucks. Heck, you can get them off ebay too! Just be sure when you install the shorter mount on the passenger side, longer on drivers side

On my mounts, I used the Transdapt versions, and redrilled my holes 1" forward of their location. This gained me more clearance in the tunnel, at the firewall, and lined up the heater hose outlets on the water pump better(they were pointing right at the shock tower). In retrospect, I should have only moved them 3/4" forward to allow the headers a bit more room on the passenger side due to the natural grooves in the shock tower. If I were you, and have the resourses, fab up your own!

Last edited by babydeuce; 10-23-2008 at 07:21 PM.
Old 10-24-2008, 07:17 AM
Teching In

I'm taking notes on this thread. I have a '65 Chevy II and want to go the turbo route with a LSX. I would like to keep the original sheetmetal up front but upgrade the suspension. I have heard that the G8 manifolds present the best option for those of us that want turbo manifolds, but being so new nobody has been that route yet. I'll be starting mine after the first of the year, so right now I'm just listening....
Old 10-24-2008, 03:38 PM
On The Tree

Here is what I did to the car you see to the left: 64 Chevy ll
-Heidt's Mustang ll front end, factory front clip was rusty and frightening. Can't believe I drove the car 100 mph like that, yikes!! Look into an aftermarket front subframe, if nothing else for safety. Pricey, but worth it.
-Made own motor mounts, Nothing trick at all, very simple, very straight forward fab. If you have a drill, and a MIG welder you can build these mounts.
-S&S Headers long tubes. These headers are built specifically for an LS engine with the Heidt's front end. Very nice mandrel bent headers, and cheaper than some other swap headers.
-We had to modify my tranny X-member, but not a rocket sience modification. Bell housing flange is about 1.5 inch or so shorter than gen 1 small block.
-I'm using a BG 220 HR pump with bypass regulator. I'm also using a 750 Quick Fuel carb, so I guess that doesn't really apply to your build.
Good luck, any other questions, just ask.
Old 10-26-2008, 08:43 PM
Teching In

-I definetly agree with ten5. I have a basic TCI front clip with powersteering and disc brakes, which I beleive made my swap alot easier and the driveability was also greatly increased. Your already spending money whats another 1400 bones? (Just my opinion).

- I went the easy way and bought a trans crossmember from year one for an Ls1 conv and it worked pretty well after some massaging with a hammer

-I have a walboro255 intank with my stock tank. I built a small rack kind of shaped like a "J" that attached to the bottom of my sending unit. On the end of that I placed my pump. The pump is then plumbed into the old pickup tube and power wires are ran to a bulkhead connector all located on the sending unit flange. The pump, sending unit and wiring all fit through the stock hole. The only downfall to this setup I have no internal baffles and below 1/8 tank hard right turns result in a slight surge. On a side note either way if It was a six cyl the sending unit p.u. tube might be 5/16 and you might consider upgrading to a v8 sending unit which has a 3/8 line. Goodluck with your swap and I'd be happy to share any of my info with you or anyone else for that matter.
Old 10-26-2008, 09:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Hobbszombie
-I definetly agree with ten5. I have a basic TCI front clip with powersteering and disc brakes, which I beleive made my swap alot easier and the driveability was also greatly increased. Your already spending money whats another 1400 bones? (Just my opinion).

- I went the easy way and bought a trans crossmember from year one for an Ls1 conv and it worked pretty well after some massaging with a hammer

-I have a walboro255 intank with my stock tank. I built a small rack kind of shaped like a "J" that attached to the bottom of my sending unit. On the end of that I placed my pump. The pump is then plumbed into the old pickup tube and power wires are ran to a bulkhead connector all located on the sending unit flange. The pump, sending unit and wiring all fit through the stock hole. The only downfall to this setup I have no internal baffles and below 1/8 tank hard right turns result in a slight surge. On a side note either way if It was a six cyl the sending unit p.u. tube might be 5/16 and you might consider upgrading to a v8 sending unit which has a 3/8 line. Goodluck with your swap and I'd be happy to share any of my info with you or anyone else for that matter.

You mentioned hooker headers in your sig? For the LS1 swap? what did you use?
Old 10-26-2008, 10:36 PM
Teching In

Default headers

Heres what I did with my OLD hooker headers. next is a set of turbo headers.

Old 10-27-2008, 08:40 AM
Teching In

I used the hooker block hugger headers, Jegs p/n 520-2313. They come close to the steering shaft and starter but it is still workable. I wish I had long tubes, but the fit versus time factor won in my case. The only pics I have with me is a top view in which the headers tuck tight enough you can barely see them and a side view with the head off during a flycutting operation, but you can get the idea how they hook up.[ATTACH]Attachment 151746[/ATTACH]

Last edited by Hobbszombie; 11-04-2008 at 09:21 PM.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:29 PM

Thanks guys for the input so far. I was looking at it briefly tonight. That steering box is a definate issue. I could make my own mounts and shift it to the passanger side 1/2".. Would that help or is it not even worth it?
Old 10-28-2008, 01:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

That half inch that you shift it will totally kill your clearance on the passenger side. Did you look at the link I posted? There is a pic of the clearance on the passenger side with a tape measure so you can see.

Jack
Old 10-28-2008, 11:54 AM

Jack,

I over looked the tape measure one.. So exhaust seems to be "The" issue.

I'll have to convince him that we are going to spin the manifolds around backwards and upside down and put a turbo in it instead. That it would be much easier to route the exhaust that way..
Old 10-28-2008, 02:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

another good site to check out is http://www.stevesnovasite.com. I bet quite a few members over there have swapped their cars over to a LS based engine.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 67SS&99SS
another good site to check out is http://www.stevesnovasite.com. I bet quite a few members over there have swapped their cars over to a LS based engine.

Just a couple of us.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:32 PM
Teching In

I'm going to make a set of turbo headers and exhaust this winter for chevyll, but I'm not going to put a turbo on it yet. I will be using the stock clip. I will take lots of pics.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LIL SS
Jack,

I over looked the tape measure one.. So exhaust seems to be "The" issue.

I'll have to convince him that we are going to spin the manifolds around backwards and upside down and put a turbo in it instead. That it would be much easier to route the exhaust that way..
Hell Ya!!!

Jack
Old 11-03-2008, 06:21 PM
On The Tree

I wouldn't worrie about building turbo headers. There are seven second cars that use stock 6.0 truck maifolds turned around backwards. They obviously flow just fine. Thats what I would do anyway.

Quick Reply: 62-67 Nova guys, please chime in.