Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone keep VATS

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 04:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone keep VATS

I'm getting ready to start the swap im my 69 camaro, I have a complete 99 T/A for donor parts. I was going to use the column out of the t/a and thought about keeping the vats also, anyone done it? I searched, but all I come up with was about deleting vats.
Old 11-07-2008, 07:33 PM
On The Tree

I'm going to try and keep the VATS. I have a column from a 99 T/A with the original key and the dash from the same car that has the matching BCM still in it. I believe as long as you have the matching BCM and key you should be fine. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 11-07-2008, 07:36 PM
On The Tree

So it is in the BCM? What is the module that is mounted up behind the radio?
Old 11-07-2008, 10:31 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

For the vats to work it requires the key, ignition lock and BCM. The BCM sends a signal to the computer in order to let it know that everything is OK and it can run. The BCM checks the resistance of the key to verify that the car is being started by the correct person/key.
Old 11-08-2008, 06:44 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by G-Body
For the vats to work it requires the key, ignition lock and BCM. The BCM sends a signal to the computer in order to let it know that everything is OK and it can run. The BCM checks the resistance of the key to verify that the car is being started by the correct person/key.
I have all that, just need to get me some body wiring schematics so I can plan it all out. What is the module that was right behind the radio?
Old 11-09-2008, 07:50 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Tommy69z
I have all that, just need to get me some body wiring schematics so I can plan it all out. What is the module that was right behind the radio?
If your using an F body engine and trans, a site called "the last of the breed" in the search bar will have all the F body pinouts for most all years!

I used a VATS bypass module in mine( 1986 RX7 2000 LS1/4L60E), Then on the ground side of the module I put a rocker switch and hid it in the dash ( somewhere:-) ) which allows me to disable the PCM when I'm in someplace I might be worried about a theif!

It basically does the same thing as if the body control module is missing or malfunctioning then.ie I won't start!

lt1wiring.com has bypass modules for like $25.00 SHIPPED! Just give them the year , make and model, they will hook you up!

Last edited by 1toDV8; 11-09-2008 at 07:56 PM.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:47 AM
Launching!

04gto into 72 nova.I kept the vats working,little extra work but worth it.Yes you need the BCM.And a wiring print out.
Old 11-10-2008, 04:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

You could just use a VATS bypass module and make it plug-in. 70 LS1 did that on his Corvette. Just take the module with you when you leave the car, there's no way anybody's going to start it.
Old 11-10-2008, 04:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

cheesy way of doing it, but still affective. friend and I made the vats bypass box, and when we enclosed it, we added a switch to it. Its inside the engine bay hidden from sight. If i'm leaving the car for a long time, i just turn that switch off and the car wont start.
Old 11-10-2008, 06:13 PM
On The Tree

Only reason I would like to use it is I'm gonna use the column, other than that, I probably just have it deleted.
Old 11-18-2008, 11:58 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Tommy69z
Check the autozone site, they have a lot of wiring diagrams now.
Old 11-19-2008, 07:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like others have mentioned, Im using a removable VATS bypass unit. I wired it to a GM weatherpack connector, and I just unplug it and put it in my pocket or take it in with my headunit faceplate at night. Its located in my center console, and is hard to even see unless you know what you are looking for. You can build your own...but the one that I built was kinda bit. If you were going to mount it with a switch, that'd be fine. But ebay has some that are really tiny. Smaller than a small cell phone.

Here is a pic. You used to be able to get them in diff colored housings. The company is bakerelectronics and it will come up if you search for "LS1 bypass" or "VATS bypass". They now have a disconnect option for an extra $10...if you dont feel like wiring your own plug. Looks like a kind of cheesy connector though. Ide just get the bare wires and add your own plug.

J.
Old 11-19-2008, 05:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think this was mentioned above...

Use the Anti-Theft module from a 93-97 F-Body. These had a seperate theft module that reads the key resistor, and sends the signal to the PCM. Might need to see if the signal they generate is the same as accepted by the 99 ls1 pcm. I believe some tuning packages will let you set the pass/fail frequency in the PCM. So you could set it for one of those older modules. This would be much smaller unit then using the BCM, with same function.

What would be trick is to use the BCM for door locks, power windows, etc, all the function ability of the original car, lots of work but its been done.

As for figuring out the proper key with a used vats module, I got a random assortment of resistors from Radio Shack, $10.00. I made the 16 different values with combination of resistors in series or parallel. You wire up the VATs module with battery hot, switched hot, ground. two wires for the resistors. 1 wire for security light. Hook a 12v light bulb to the switched hot and the security light wire. Turn on the switched hot with resistor hooked up. If correct value, the light will turn on and stay solid for 5 seconds, then shut off. If incorrect, I believe it comes on and stays on, or blinks. If not correct, turn off the switched hot, but make sure you keep battery hot hooked up. Wait aprox 3 minutes and try the next combo. you have to wait the 3 minutes. This method works great on the 93-95 modules. Not sure when VATS function went into the BCM. But anyways. Just another method to achieve the same results.

Last edited by busta9876; 11-19-2008 at 06:04 PM.

Quick Reply: Anyone keep VATS