Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with truck harness

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 01:05 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Exclamation Help with truck harness

Hello, This is my first post (second if you count the greeting)
I am putting an 02 6.0 LQ9 into a 70 Chevelle. I thought about going the carburetor route but have done that too many times. I've already got the GMPP intake and was looking for a used MDS 6010.
However after reading some posts I decided to give it a try and modify the harness I've got. I basically got everything with the engine, it came out of a 2002 3500HD truck and I got everything incluiding the O2 sensors. It will have either a TH200R4 or a TH400 behind (I am favoring the 200's overdrive).
So my question is, are there any reccomendations I can get from people who have done this before? Any pitfallls to avoid? What sensors must I remove? I will have the ECM reprogrammed of course.
It will probably have the hot cam, but I want to get it running first. I will be using the GMPP and an Edelbrock Elbow with the stock TB.
Oh, and another question, I have been told the 99 camaro headers will fit the A-body, any ideas? I think if they did I could save around 400 dlls just there.
Thank you for your input.
Luis H. Corbala
Old 11-09-2008, 07:56 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What wires you remove, would depend on if you need to past emissions or not. If you need a copy of the stock wiring diagram e-mail me and I'll send it to you or if you want the PCM pin outs, I could sent it. Personally for your swap, if you want to keep the automatic, I'd use one of the newer electronic controlled trannies (4L60E, 4L65E, or 4L80E) If you use the 200R4 it will cost some bucks to beef it up and you'll have to figure a way to hook up the TV cable to the throttle body. The 400 would be easier to hook up and stronger in its stock form, but wouldn't have overdrive. Of course you could run one of the switch pitch 400 from the mid 60's and have a 2 speed convertor, which would allow you to run a slightly numerically lower rear end ratio and switch the convertor to the higher stall to accelerate faster. As far as the wiring, if you don't need emissions, I'd pull the rear O2 sensors, the EGR, and EVAP wiring, the oil level sensor (Unless you're running a dash that will display it). If you're going to run the 400 or 200 tranny you can take the tranny wiring out of the harness
Old 11-09-2008, 10:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

"I'd use one of the newer electronic controlled trannies (4L60E, 4L65E, or 4L80E)"
Absolutely!
Use the 4L80E, and have what's basically a 400 w/ OD.
Old 11-09-2008, 12:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

and doesn't require 2grand to handle 600rwhp lol
Old 11-09-2008, 09:47 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you for the replies.
No, I do not need it to pass emissions, so I will not be using any smog stuff, as I said, I will put a cam on it but that might be later as I want it to start first.
As for trannies I could go for the 4L80E, and as a matter of fact that is my ultimate goal, but I fear the converter prices and these are pricey! Besides I already have the TH400 (brand new rebuild with a trans pak and it's for sale) and the 200R4 (brand new stock rebuild) with a brand new 2500stall converter. By going the 200R4 route I can reuse the same driveshaft and I can concentrate on getting the engine going.
I will leave the transmission connectors so that I can use the 4L80E when I get one in the future.
--does anybody have an Edelbrock elbow for sale?--

Thanks a lot
Rat Chevelle
Old 12-03-2008, 07:51 PM
Teching In

I too have a swap in progress and was on this site looking for the same information that you have ask for. I am putting a 5.3 and 4l60 out of an 05 half ton pick up in a 55 belair. I dont need it to pass emissions either and would like to have a copy of a diagram to rewire my project in order to save a few dollars buying a new harness. I also read good things on this site about wait4me reprogramming the computer. any info on these items is greatly appreciated. epollan2000@yahoo.com
Old 12-03-2008, 09:50 PM
Teching In

You'll find some of the best info and pinouts here:

www.lt1swap.com

Go to the wiring page and click on your donor info.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:58 PM
13 Second Truck Club

i have heard or some people using f body headers but some have to be moddified i purchased the edelbrock headers they fit great and if you look around i bought mine nwe for 525 shipped i think

Quick Reply: Help with truck harness