Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some help with AN adapters.

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 10:35 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help with AN adapters.

Guys,

I need to get my stuff together so I can get the LS running before winter sets in.

Can you tell me what adaptors I need to convert everything to AN?

I know at least one of the fittings on the power steering unit is 16mmX1.5....but what about the other one? Will I need two 16mmX1.5 to 6-AN adapter for the power steering pump? Thought the other was a different size but cant remember.

Does anyone know what size a typical metric Mustang II power rack unit has for fittings?

And the wonderful 4L60E. Know what size adapter I need to convert to AN and a suggestion for size? 6-AN?

Also....any of you done the steam vent conversion from top of water pump to the steam vent inlet? I'd like to keep things looking clean but unsure of what I need to do to stay away from the radiator. Not sure where on the water pump that I need to drill and tap for the 1/4" line.

Thanks,
Dave G
Old 11-14-2008, 10:42 AM
On The Tree

The reason I ask about the 4L60E is I found somewhere that suggested it was 1/4" NPT.....I wouldve thought this would be metric threads?

Dave G
Old 11-14-2008, 11:16 AM
11 Second Club

Mustang II R&P was 3/8" SAE from the factory, I do not know if any aftermarket companies vary from that.
Old 11-14-2008, 11:17 AM
On The Tree

Well thanks!

Dave G
Old 11-14-2008, 12:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If your using the LS1 pump, you have the right fitting, its O-Ringed for the high side, but the low side is just a Power Steering rated hose and clamp. There should be no threaded fitting, just a return tube/barb on the side of the pump.

If using SS braided hose, Make sure it is rated for power steering, I used Russel Teflon lined SS hose and there fittings for the High Pressure side, For the low, you can just about use any power steering rated hose and clamp or upgrade to SS braided hose.

As far as the 4L60E, Sorry, other will give you the info.. I am a manual trany car guy... someday I guess I will learn about them LOL..

If you search, you should find many threads on this subject...good luck..
Old 11-14-2008, 01:42 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bczee
If your using the LS1 pump, you have the right fitting, its O-Ringed for the high side, but the low side is just a Power Steering rated hose and clamp. There should be no threaded fitting, just a return tube/barb on the side of the pump.

If using SS braided hose, Make sure it is rated for power steering, I used Russel Teflon lined SS hose and there fittings for the High Pressure side, For the low, you can just about use any power steering rated hose and clamp or upgrade to SS braided hose.

As far as the 4L60E, Sorry, other will give you the info.. I am a manual trany car guy... someday I guess I will learn about them LOL..

If you search, you should find many threads on this subject...good luck..
Thanks so much. I read a couple threads you had responded on but I couldnt gather whether I need two fittings or just the one. Sorry for the redundant questions. I may PM you some questions as I go if you dont mind?

4L60E....I did read some threads relating to this.....but I'm confused. Some are saying they are 1/4 NPT straight (not tapered)...? I thought all 1/4 NPT were tapered? Then some are saying they are metric. I may give ATI a call and get this cleared up.

BTW.....beatiful Chevelle. I had one myself years ago. Electric blue with white deck strips. I miss that car.

Thanks,
Dave G
Old 11-14-2008, 02:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

I used 1/4 tapered fittings on my 4L60e.

NPT is pipe thread, which is tapered.
Old 11-14-2008, 06:13 PM
On The Tree

Thanks. I found them at Godmans in stainless.

Found quite a few options for the inlet/outlet on the rack unit. Its a 79-93 Mustang power rack. I'm told the high pressure side is a 9/16-18...no problem. But still unsure of the return port size.

Also, found the 16mm-1.5 to -06 AN's at Godmans for the pressure side of LS pump.

bczee......If I go with a remote mount reservior know what size the opening is under the factory reservoir? Think I'll be able to remove the barb fitting (press fit?), drill and tap to the size I want. This isnt going to be a major show vehicle but I'm really wanting to dress it up here and there.

Thanks for the help guys,

Dave G
Old 11-14-2008, 06:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The opening under the reservoir is just the perfect size for tapping 1/2" pipe threads. The problem is, there is a lip that's not deep enough into the hole in the pump to let the tap go in far enough. I did manage to tap threads in my pump, for an aftermarket reservoir, but it's a pain in the ***. The factory reservoir pushes in, with an o-ring seal.
Old 11-14-2008, 07:36 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS1MCSS
The opening under the reservoir is just the perfect size for tapping 1/2" pipe threads. The problem is, there is a lip that's not deep enough into the hole in the pump to let the tap go in far enough. I did manage to tap threads in my pump, for an aftermarket reservoir, but it's a pain in the ***. The factory reservoir pushes in, with an o-ring seal.
Did you use a close 90 1/2" NPT to 06 AN? Did it turn out looking slick?

I just found this on Street and Performances site....self contained. Looks real slick...bet its pricey though. I'll give them a call Monday and post the price.

Unlike many of you guys....my space is real limited....like working an a model A. Kind of a chore deciding the how and where...and still make it slick.

Thanks,
Dave G
Attached Thumbnails Need some help with AN adapters.-power-steering-reservoir-si.jpg  
Old 11-15-2008, 09:55 AM
Launching!

this is a good thread. typing in so i can find it later..