Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1965 LS1 F-85 dragrace video

Old 11-18-2008, 09:17 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1965 LS1 F-85 dragrace video

Best run of the day 14.016 @ 101. I was hoping to get into the 13's but with 3.08 gears and open rear it just want get out of the hole.

http://s282.photobucket.com/albums/k...t=MOV07194.flv
Old 11-18-2008, 09:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Rocky.. ok.. You got something to base line with.. just need to get a good 12 bolt posi, a bettter ratio and some sticky tires.. what gear and RPM where you in when you crossed the trap ?

I had run a 13.8 @ 101 last month at Infineon, that was spinning the tires (had street tire on) and with the engine crapping out on the top end. So I have some work to do also... a good tune is needed. I think I could have done better as the air temp was dropping, but my power steering was starting to act up or over heat, I needed to drive home (40 miles), so I quit while was ahead..

With my 4.11's, I had to idle off the line rolling into the throttle and still spun the tires anyway, then breaking the tires lose on the next two shifts.. the engine was crapping out at the top end, I had to keep shifting at or under 5800rpm and either had to run through in 4th or just shift into 5th just before the trap.

So with a good tune and some sticky tires, I should be able to drop into the low 13 or hight 12's..
Old 11-18-2008, 10:19 AM
TECH Resident

The car shifts into 3rd at 90mph. So when I crossed the traps the rpm is fairly low may be 3900. There was a 25 mph cross wind Saturday that hit you pretty hard on the top end so I was holding on with both hands when I went thru the traps not sure what rpm was exactly but I had a whole lot of motor left.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:30 AM
TECH Resident

How bad were your 60' times? Also any idea one what your car weighs after the swap?
Old 11-18-2008, 10:44 AM
TECH Resident

My 60 ft was 2.537 or so. 1/8 mile was 82 mph. I think my car weighs about 3400 lbs, But I'm 6'5" and weigh 350 lbs myself. I think I'll get one of my smaller buddies to drive it. That will be the cheapest way for me to get into the 13's with out spending more doe.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting to me that you posted this. I am planning on going out to Sacramento Raceway this coming Saturday for a Test and Tune day. I have wired up an external door release button because of my shaved door handles. Hopefully that will satisfy the tech inpsectors and they will let me run. I ran back in August up in Fernley Nevada during Hot August Nights. Up there I ran 14.69 at 93 mph. The elevation there is 4500 feet and the last half of the track runs up hill. I was able to figure out a fairly decent launch by rolling into the throttle, but they did not have 60' clocks. I am excited about finding out how it will do at sea-level on a decent track. I plan to take video, so hopefully will be posting something on Sunday or Monday.

Any NorCal folks come on out and join the fun. Weather is supposed to be mid 60s so air should be good.

Pat
Old 11-18-2008, 12:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Pat, If I didn't have a function on Sat.. I would be glad to join you.. ! but maybe next time.

I saw someone with a cable that ran from the inside handle and out the door/window, He was able to get on to Infineon that last time I was there !
Old 11-18-2008, 01:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Glad to know the cable release was accepted, that was my original thought, but the button was a cleaner solution.

Rocky, your video is blocked where I am right now so will have to wait till I get home to see it. Looking forward to it.

Pat
Old 11-18-2008, 02:48 PM
TECH Resident

Pat if their inspection is anything like Texas motorplex you want have to worry. Hell your doors could be welded shut with you in it. I drove up to get inspected and ask the young guy what's the process for inspection? Do you need me to open the hood? He replied what process just sign here and here and on the back that's all you need to do.

All of the pic's here at ls1 are now blocked sense they updated the sight.
Old 11-18-2008, 02:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by rockytopper
Pat if their inspection is anything like Texas motorplex you want have to worry. Hell your doors could be welded shut with you in it. I drove up to get inspected and ask the young guy what's the process for inspection? Do you need me to open the hood? He replied what process just sign here and here and on the back that's all you need to do.

All of the pic's here at ls1 are now blocked sense they updated the sight.
LOL, that sounds like Fernley. I expect Sac Raceway to be a little tighter since they are an NHRA sanctioned track and use their rules. I'll probably have to take my hub caps off too!

Our work system blocks things like photobucket, youtube etc.

Pat
Old 11-18-2008, 04:32 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by rockytopper
My 60 ft was 2.537 or so. 1/8 mile was 82 mph. I think my car weighs about 3400 lbs, But I'm 6'5" and weigh 350 lbs myself. I think I'll get one of my smaller buddies to drive it. That will be the cheapest way for me to get into the 13's with out spending more doe.
Ya thats a pretty awful 60'. I am glad I went ahead and did my posi cuz I am sure thats what I would see. I think the car has alot more in it and he mph in the 1/8th isn't bad but its not picking up a ton more in the back half. I would think a posi would do you alot of good as I am sure its losing traction even on shifts.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Hey Rocky.. If I drove your car.. maybe it would pickup a 1/2 sec.. as I am 1/2 your weight !..

Yeah.. my 60' were not much better, 2.2 to 2.4's.. spinning a lot on launch and shifts.. but I really need a tune (or maybe some new valve springs !?)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1965 LS1 F-85 dragrace video