Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gauge issues for LS2 swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 11:58 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Gauge issues for LS2 swap

I currently have the 2005 LS2 and T56 transmission from a GTO donor car installed in my 1969 GTO. Since the 1969 GTO has a gigantic one piece dash that is not currently being remanufactured or customized by anyone, does anyone have any suggestions on a gauge company that can convert my factory gauges to electronic versions that will more readily plug into the LS2 wire harness?? John Covan is apparently working on a custom dash insert for the 69 GTO, but it's still in production mode and probably won't be out until the first of the year. I like the idea of keeping the stock look, but I've heard that the adapters to make the factory gauges work with the new technology have an annoying lag. The speedo and tach are the two main issues that I'm trying to work through. I know that some of the gauge manufacturers have replacements for those, but then it won't match my 4-piece pod for fuel, volts, temp, and oil. I plan on going to Street and Performance for the wire harness and fuel system.
Help
Old 11-30-2008, 12:20 PM
Launching!

Try Googling Redline gauges,or Digital Dakota gauges.Street and Performance may also have adapters for your gauges.Honestly I think Street and Performance makes very little product they sell,in other words,they mark up stuff you can get elsewhere.I used one of there oil pans and was not impressed.Look into LS1engineharness.com for your harness.Very high quality harness at less $ than S&P.

Look at my 65 Chevelle thread for ideas on hooking up your other gauges.
Old 11-30-2008, 12:42 PM
Teching In

I just checked out the LS1wiringharness.com but they don't show anything for the 2005 and later style computer. I'll have to give them a call on Monday. Thanks for the information.
Old 11-30-2008, 03:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

I managed mine the old fashioned way, trial and error and lots of searching. I'm running a trans in my 68 vette with a mechanical output, so that was not a problem.
But for the tach, I found an Isspro tach that had exactly the same sweep as my tach. The faceplate mounting holes were even in the same place and the vette needle pressed right on. A little fabrication and it works great and looks original.
I found an adapter for the oil, and I tapped the block plug for my temp gauge.
Old 11-30-2008, 04:09 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

my stock 71 tach works with the stock ls1 harness...just had to have the tuner change it to v6 mode or whatever so it would read accurate

fuel gauge works, i need a new sending unit for temp, volt I can just run to the system somewhere...oil pressure I tapped the small removable piece that bolts to the oil pan above the oil filter for my factory sending unit

speedometer: there is a company that makes a talihousing for both VSS and mechanical speedo outputs, but its $500
Old 11-30-2008, 05:49 PM
TECH Resident

just run the old mechanical gauges--no need to swap out the guts. Use a Cable-X to run the speedometer.

Quick Reply: Gauge issues for LS2 swap