Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls2 in a 2nd gen firebird

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 07:51 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ls2 in a 2nd gen firebird

I am about to start the process of installing a ls2 into my 1973 formula 400 firebird. I have a decent idea of what i need but there are always a million questions. how are the ats mounts, do they put the engine in a good location and what about the trans and brace. i guess ill start with those . Thanks
Old 12-02-2008, 08:22 PM
Staging Lane

I would try a search. that will help you alote.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:56 AM
Staging Lane

If your 73 is using clam shell mounts I wouldn't recommend the ATS motor mounts. The frame mounting holes won't match. The ATS motor mounts are designed for the old style bracket mounts, you’ll have to buy a set of 70-72 f-body big block frame mounts if you use ATS. If you have clamshell mounts I would recommend Edelbrock first, then BRP or Street and Performance. The crossmember depends on the transmission. For the T56 I would recommend the ATS crossmember, but be prepared to bang up the footwells to get the mating brackets to fit over the subframe. Other than that they are an excellent piece. BRP and S&P also offer crossmembers.

If you plan to run headers call the header manufacturer and ask them which motor mounts they used. The motor mounts are critical to the header clearances. I would recommend Edelbrock motor mounts and headers. The Edelbrock passenger side headers have a clearance issue with one tube but otherwise the fit and quality are excellent.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:46 AM
TECH Junkie

there are alot of guys on nastyz28.com who have done LS conversions....including dear old me
Old 12-04-2008, 07:27 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks, I will look into the edelbrock pieces.

Quick Reply: ls2 in a 2nd gen firebird