Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

swapping from 355 (4 bolt main) to lm7

Old 12-04-2008, 05:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default swapping from 355 (4 bolt main) to lm7

hey guys new here and starting into the ls family straight up with a swap.

old setup:
-92 240sx
-355 (4 bolt mains)
-used cam
-vortec heads
-msd 6a
-th350
-jegs brand 3000 stall

worked well got the shell for super cheap so i threw the old drivetrain in my cousin pulled out when he put a big block in his camaro. car was fun traction didnt exist but now i want more.

new:
-LM7 ($250 everything less pistons and rear sump oil pump, included all injecters coil packs and wiring harness along with throttle body and fuel rails.)
-th350
-4500??? stall (one of my questions)
-proper full shift kit
-cam (another question)
-9.0:1 comp pistons
-megasquirt
-flipped truck manifolds and a small turbo

still trying to retain my budget beast that the 355 gave me but am more a fan of the ls1's now a days and sold the 355 for more than i had into her. now i know i will need new motor mounts thats not a problem. as far as the build goes any ideas on what i should do or if i need to swap cam. im going to use all the truck intake and everything just to stay cheap. have a goal of 10's next summer. already cutting mini tubs into the car may go to solid axle if needed. car has 10 point cage now.

any other ideas before i start the swap?? i saw the fairmont budget build and decided i had to have an ls family engine lol.

oh and just as an fyi i bought 2 lm7's. swapping this one first will be doing a manual swap into my daily 240sx.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If your trying to stay on a budget, I would recommend that you get a pull out engine with all accessories, wiring harness and PCM. Cause chasing down the odd and end stuff will nickel and dime you. With the right CAM and Head combo you can get into the 400+ HP range with a good tuner.

I see your going with the MS PCM.. why not just use the oem LM7 PCM and setup.. there are many tuner that can work with you on it. But that your choice.

As far as CAM's.. just pick the correct one for your RPM and Type of driving/racing.. bigger is not always better. With these Gen III/IV engines a mid cam will get you over 400+ if setup correctly and if you dump some more weight out of the 240.. you will be flying anyway (if you have not already done so) !

You might find a LS6 for around $300 or less (if lucky). I know that the Truck ones are great for low to mid range RPM.. you might have hood clearance problem and they are just Ugly and if your racing, your most likely will want to run a intake for the higher RPM Range. The truck ones might run out of air as you get above the 5500 range... below that, they are great !

The 240SX is common swap now a days, I am sure those guys will ping in and get you all of the information you need.
Old 12-04-2008, 06:00 PM
On The Tree

you can always go blowthru carb =)
Old 12-04-2008, 06:01 PM

awesome man thanks for the help. yeah i run msII on all my cars and already know it and had a spare board so thats what im using. other than that only thing this engines miussing is the pistons so now a huge deal got everything else.

will definatally look into the heads and canm on ebay... i just bid on the gto oil pump and pan today so im getting close. will be making my own engine mounts.
Old 12-04-2008, 06:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

04 ZO6 cam and springs, 317 heads, and a Master Power T70 turbo w/truck maifolds with MSII will get you 504HP at the crank on pump gas w/16* timing 8 psi boost. Look up JOSH@KTP for all of the needed flanges and tube bends. He is setting up a do it yourself kit just for swaps like this. Good quality and excellent budget price. We have the same set up in a C1500 pickup if you need any tune bins for it. G
Old 12-04-2008, 06:28 PM

thnkls loit for the info man... since i need pistons anyways would it be smart to switch out to a 9:1 comperesion so i can run 10-12 psi??

(sorry bear with me this keyboard is trash but just moved and can't fiund my good one.)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: swapping from 355 (4 bolt main) to lm7