Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fox wiring question

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 02:24 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Fox wiring question

What are you guys attaching yoru orange (constant) to? and what are you attaching the pink (key on) wires to?

Also some help on how to power the dash? Really if you have any info maybe you could post it up here to help the fox guys out with wiring in the future.

Last edited by Slow5.0.; 12-05-2008 at 03:06 AM.
Old 12-05-2008, 06:45 AM
Launching!

I,m not a fox guy, but I would find the wire(s) on the old harness which have power while ign key is on. For the Bat Constant I'd do the same, or run directly to battery(fused). Having your fox body schematics will help you there.
Old 12-06-2008, 01:32 AM
Launching!

anyone else.
Old 12-07-2008, 12:01 PM
Launching!

I got a PM from Slow5.0. looking for the answers to the following questions....if you folk that have completed this swap can take the liberty to help Slow5.0. out, Im sure it will be appreciated...

I never went ahead with my 6.0 swap, so I dont know the answers to most of the questions...

Here are the questions I was PM'd with....

Originally Posted by Slow5.0.
1: How did you power your fox dash so that the headlights, fuel level sender etc. all worked?
2: How did you jump your clutch safety switch?
3: Where did you connect the orange (constant) and pink (key one) wires too?
4: Where did you tie in the wire from the lsx ecu to attach to the fox fuel pump? I know obviously where the fuel pump wires attach directly at it but I am not sure where they are accessable closer to the engine bay.
5: I have a high and low speed fan wire in the lsx harness. I just have a 1 speed fan..lol witch would I use high or low? or both together
6: Did you just use the red/green wire that originaly attached to the starter solenoid to "trigger" the lsx starter?
Old 12-08-2008, 12:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fast400
I,m not a fox guy, but I would find the wire(s) on the old harness which have power while ign key is on. For the Bat Constant I'd do the same, or run directly to battery(fused). Having your fox body schematics will help you there.
you must have never dealt with the fords..... the repair manual gives little to no info on where these wires are actually located.

but the pink need 12 volts when cranking and in start (made that mistake) i connected a small relay box out of the junkyard (10 bucks) so one wire from the stang gives all the pinks hot in run and start. andthe wire i used ......drumroll....in the stock haress (next to the master cyl.) there is a round plug and there should be a red/grn (double check with light incase i forgot something) but that wire comes from the ignition switch and origanally wnet to the coil. so it is hot in run and start.

now the orang i would never hook right to the batt (whoever said that shame on you) if yo uget one of those little relay boxs(i think mine came out of a late model buick), it has a battery lug right on it, so inside you can connect orange to constant 12v through one of the fuses in the box. just connect all the relays so they come on with the switched 12v red/grn EXCEPT your fuel pump, have the cpu activate that one.

hope that clears things up a little. and heres a pic of where i mounted it. crap i dont have pic but maybe i can take one.

edit: and sory fast i just read you DID mention it being fused. my bad.
Old 12-09-2008, 12:01 AM
Launching!

Thanks guys for the help, i pm'd a couple others and got a little info. I will just document how I do it and take some pictures so others can use it. It would be nice just to have a thread dedicated to main wiring so others can figure it out easy.
Old 12-09-2008, 01:58 AM
Launching!

Leon,
You're right I haven't worked on many Fords. There's always schematic info though, wheather it's alldatadiy.com or the Ford manual. It really helped me for my swap to simply get the alldata info for $20....worth every penny.
Old 12-09-2008, 11:40 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fast400
Leon,
You're right I haven't worked on many Fords. There's always schematic info though, wheather it's alldatadiy.com or the Ford manual. It really helped me for my swap to simply get the alldata info for $20....worth every penny.
didnt mean any offense fast, i just know those fords can be a pita.
i even had a ford manual. it told you not much. and even with the schematic , lots of wire tracing. i just meant the fords for some rason are harder to figure out. i had posted a similar question when i was doing mine and no one on this or any ford board could answer that one. but on ford boards that cant answer even simple questions.

this is the little relay box i used and mounted it opposite the stock batt location.
Attached Thumbnails Fox wiring question-relay-center.jpg  
Old 12-09-2008, 01:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

all data kicks ***. I had to use it to rewire my C5 and it was easy with the schematics they have.

I'll be using it when I get to the point of rewiring my LS swap into my fox too.
Old 02-10-2009, 12:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While a little on subect whats the major wiring issues you run into when it comes to a LS swap????

Yes I have been doing many searches...... way to many threads with no good info.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:50 PM
Launching!

The biggest wiring issue people have it seems is just not getting a good harness in the first place and having it modified correctly.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:02 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Slow5.0.
The biggest wiring issue people have it seems is just not getting a good harness in the first place and having it modified correctly.
bingo... i bought an aftermarket harness that wasnt even made for a mustang. just a stand alone engine harness with about a 5 wire hook up... used one wire from the factory ford solenoid to my gm solenoid and used a wire under the dash for my key on power... nothing chassis related was affected by removing the stock engine harness... for constant power there is a post that goes behind the starter power wire for constant pcm power...
Old 02-11-2009, 05:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im not worried about modifying a harness and am in no hurry to find a good one.

I may just buy a stand alone but those are pricey but in the end may be worth it...

Going Speed Density, no A/C or anything so not many wires...

Quick Reply: Fox wiring question