Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS2 in 69 Z/28?????

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 09:44 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS2 in 69 Z/28?????

I have been reading about this for months. I have been laid up with a shattered tibia. Damn 88yr old man pulled out in front of me on my motorcycle. Anyway my questions are as follows. Last year I bought I real deal 69Z, Its not all original in fact it has a stroked 454 (600hp)turbo 400 in it right now. And its tubbed. It was done in the 80's before the real value of these cars became apparent. I condsidered going back to stock, but I always wanted a nice pro street car that was drivable. So after much reading( and yes I have used the search engine on this site and many others, as well as talked to Tyler at ATS and a few other vendors) I have decided on the LS2 engine for my car. I really want something I can drive all the time and not worry about it being tempermental. It seems this is the way to go. I also want the T56 6 speed. I plan on putting on a Kenne Bell supercharger as well. So here are my questions.

1 I wanted to use Hooker headers(not spending 3k on ATS) do you have to use Hookers engine mounts or can I use ATS's?
2 Should I buy a used GTO engine and trans(around 7-8k) when I can get a brand new LS2 for 5k, and get a rebuilt and upgraded T56 for 2k?
3 Would the GTO's accessories all fit on my car? I am putting a Vintage air system on so I will have a different ac compressor. I dont want to notch the frame.
4 With the supercharger I was going to swap out the stock clutch and flywheel for stronger units, as well as get a March pulley system for the drive belts, and I have heard the T56 is not much good for more than 500hp.

I have built cars before and done it the hard way, just seems like the better way to go is all brand new and not worry about a used engine and trans. Like I said before I really just want something I can jump in at any time and go. My 71RS Camaro was nice but completely undrivable, 400hp 350, Muncie 4spd, 411 rear. Couldnt drive it but to local car shows. I want this car to be an all around driver. I didnt buy it to store it in a garage. Please help, when I get better I will start a post on the build, should be back in action in about 3 more months. Thank you for your help. Brian
Old 12-05-2008, 11:37 AM
Staging Lane

http://www.brphotrods.com/1967-1969%20F%20body.html

Those guys have the headers you want, the conversion kit, and everything else. I'm using them for the lq4 that I'm putting into the monte. They have one for the 71 you mentioned as well. You talk to them and they are a wealth of knowledge. Lets see...I went with the lq4 because of the iron block, but you look around and you can find the lq4 and lq9 for very cheap, more than half of what your talking. my engine w/ a 4l60 was 1200 bucks including wiring harness and all. If you go with the lq4, i'd recommend a cable driven unit, not the sensor one like i bought (doh) I may be wrong, but I believe its the 4l80 (cmon i'm an old chevy guy I don't like numbers) that is the automatic six speed, but I can't remember. I know they make a six speed automatic, and I know that they have some pretty stout transmissions that will take alot of HP as well. Good luck and hoped that helped a little. If you talk to BRP they may be able to get you a great deal on some engines/trans. as well
Old 12-05-2008, 11:51 AM
Staging Lane

Sorry I was wrong its the 6l80 that is the six speed automatic.
Old 12-05-2008, 05:32 PM
Staging Lane

Just got my 2005 GTO LS2 motor / t56 today for my 68 camaro swap.. it has 19000 miles on it I got it for 6400.00
Attached Thumbnails LS2 in 69 Z/28?????-dscn0051.jpg  
Old 12-05-2008, 06:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I bought an LS2 crate motor and new TKO trans for my conversion.

It is hard to go wrong with crate motors. There are no hidden suprises from abusive PO's. And you know GM already broke the engine in for you. Crate motors have all the upgrades that GM made over to these engines over the years. Like better oiling, better oil pan baffles, hotter coils. And no dirt. Everything nice and shiny from the get go.

The crate motors can be a little pricey to finish off. No starter or accessories. Crate motor come with vette water pumps and crank pulleys. So I think the GTO accesories will work with that. Truck and LS1 stuff will not.

If I had to do it again I would get an LS3 motor. More cubes and HP, better heads, stronger blocks. Plus the higher HP versions with bigger cams. But LS3's weren't available when I bought my LS2 crate motor.
Old 12-05-2008, 09:05 PM
Staging Lane

I think it's best to use the same mounts as headers. Why don't you want to run Hooker mounts? Lot of people buy mounts and than different headers from someone else and wonder why they don't work. I'm using the Hooker mounts but I'm going turbo Those mounts definitely sit it back pretty dang close to the firewall.
Old 12-06-2008, 02:01 PM
Teching In

Thats one of the questions I have will the Hooker Header mounts work if I wanna install the Kenne Bell supercharger at a later date? As anyone on here used these mounts? I think I am just going to go all new with my conversion. New LS2 or 3 havent decided on that yet, but the LS3 is only 80 more HP I can get a brand new LS2 for 5k the LS3 is almost 1500 more. I can swap a cam and get the 80hp back for less than that. Ill be going with March for the pulleys has anyone used this set up? I have used March stuff before and always been impressed with the quality. I was burned once before on a used engine and probably wont ever go that route again just to many unknowns. I used a GM crate motor in my Toyota truck and it was nice just knowing it was all new and I would always change the oil when needed, and not just use brand x oil in it, **** I know but thats just how I am. I cant to get better to start on this.
Old 12-06-2008, 04:21 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by flynhigh205
Thats one of the questions I have will the Hooker Header mounts work if I wanna install the Kenne Bell supercharger at a later date? As anyone on here used these mounts? I think I am just going to go all new with my conversion. New LS2 or 3 havent decided on that yet, but the LS3 is only 80 more HP I can get a brand new LS2 for 5k the LS3 is almost 1500 more. I can swap a cam and get the 80hp back for less than that. Ill be going with March for the pulleys has anyone used this set up? I have used March stuff before and always been impressed with the quality. I was burned once before on a used engine and probably wont ever go that route again just to many unknowns. I used a GM crate motor in my Toyota truck and it was nice just knowing it was all new and I would always change the oil when needed, and not just use brand x oil in it, **** I know but thats just how I am. I cant to get better to start on this.
i don't see why you wouldn't use the GMPP accessory drive setup. March stuff is great but its always several thousand for an accessory drive setup, the GM setups are like $800 with all factory brackets, compressor, alternator, etc. As for the supercharger clearance- I don't think any of the mounts are dropped- they connect to the original SBC mounts, so they should all have the same engine height.

Quick Reply: LS2 in 69 Z/28?????