Sponsored by:

best oil pan for a g-body

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 10:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default best oil pan for a g-body

What is the best OEM oil pan for a G-body swap with a 5.3 motor.I am using
Spohn Performance motor mounts.Also do you have part# and the place with the best price.

Thanks
Dennis
Old 12-06-2008, 10:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm using a truck block/oil pan and it fits perfectly fine. Although I've got the engine pushed back as far as possible. It sits maybe 1/2" above the K-member. I did engine plate/mid plate

Old 12-07-2008, 01:04 AM
TECH Resident

Some would say that the truck pans are a little low, depends what your doing with the car.

I believe a Cadillac CTS-V pan works well also, have a glance at the oil pan sticky and compare pans.

on my car The F-body pan is the perfect depth it sites right level with the engine cradle, it is modified slightly. I think JohnB (the guy that modified my pan) said that the cts-v pan is almost the same as his modified pans.

If that makes sense.
Old 12-07-2008, 02:23 AM
Teching In

http://www.brphotrods.com/Oil%20pan.html

-Kevin
Old 12-07-2008, 12:29 PM
TECH Junkie

yeah, the truck pans sits kinda low, that's for sure. Shouldn't be TOO much of an issue though unless it's coming down from a huge wheelie. Can kinda see in relation to the frame/midplate area how low it sits.

Old 12-07-2008, 12:36 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you guys taken a look at your crossmember lately. Unless it doesn't have a single scratch, I would avoid these truck pans. I have yet to see perfect looking crossmember on any street driven car. Also, the aluminum wont take a hit and bend like a steel pan. Just something to consider.
Old 12-07-2008, 02:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Can you explain why the caution? Maybe I'm just misinterpreting your post.
Old 12-07-2008, 04:23 PM
Staging Lane

I was told that we can run the ctsv pan and its a few incheds shorter so it tucks in better, me personally I'm going to let it hang though, don't have the extra 150 for the ctsv pan right now. Good luck and let us see the progress. Do you have a website where your documenting your progress. I'm in teh process of dropping the lq9 into the monte, nad have problems here and there
Old 12-07-2008, 04:50 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Slow Z28
Can you explain why the caution? Maybe I'm just misinterpreting your post.
Assuming your referring to my post. The crossmember is usually the first to contact the ground whether you drive over an object or bottom the front suspension.

If the pan hangs lower, you risk cracking or busting open the pan. Spending $200-$300 extra instead of seizing my engine or getting stranded is worth it to me.

A race car that pulls the front wheels is a different story. You probably wont kill your car, but I would be pissed if you oiled the track down because your pan hangs 3" below the x-member.

There is a reason you can't find a single factory automobile with the pan hanging below some structural metal.
Old 12-07-2008, 05:52 PM
On The Tree

blubaldmontess .Where can i buy a cts pan for $150.00 Does that come with the pick up screen and baffle?

Thanks
Dennis
Old 12-07-2008, 06:33 PM
Staging Lane

Saw it somewhere, one person said to get it off ebay, another said to watch the caddy forum. here is a link to a person who knows a million times more about the swaps than me eh...
http://maliburacing.com/forum/viewto...st=0&sk=t&sd=a

http://maliburacing.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=29

http://maliburacing.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=34
Old 12-07-2008, 07:10 PM
Launching!

CTSV pan or LH8 pan

The lh8 is available through GM with all required parts for around $180.00 (currently backordered)

It is nearly an 1" shorter than the truck pan

CTSV is an 1 1/2" shorter than the truck pan
Old 12-07-2008, 09:05 PM
On The Tree

Does anyone no the part# for the CTSV pan ?And the best place to buy it?

Thanks
Dennis
Old 12-07-2008, 09:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by alocker
Assuming your referring to my post. The crossmember is usually the first to contact the ground whether you drive over an object or bottom the front suspension.

If the pan hangs lower, you risk cracking or busting open the pan. Spending $200-$300 extra instead of seizing my engine or getting stranded is worth it to me.

A race car that pulls the front wheels is a different story. You probably wont kill your car, but I would be pissed if you oiled the track down because your pan hangs 3" below the x-member.

There is a reason you can't find a single factory automobile with the pan hanging below some structural metal.
I guess we are on the same wavelength then. Looking through a good number of pics, there are a quite a few cars that have those flared canton oil pans, etc... that hang lower than the crossmember. It's not a first for this setup.

that looks lower.

Plus with some of the traps speeds these heavy cars are doing, i'd definitely want a diaper on the car just for the simple fact of being alot safer down track if it were to ever spit something out.

Alot better than some idiots running coolant in there cars when at the track. See more of those than oil downs.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:21 PM
TECH Junkie

And no offense, but look at where it hangs in the photo i posted first. Spending extra $$$ on a CSTV pan or whatever, for only 1" of extra clearance? It still hangs down past the crossmember, so what's the point of extra investment? If it is coming down THAT hard, it's gonna be screwing up ALOT more than whatever oil pan you have on it
Old 12-07-2008, 09:22 PM
10 Second Club

One thing to keep in mind when the drag guys use super deep 12 qt. oil pans.

They are steel. They have a much better chance of crushing like a pop can. Cast aluminum might drop the entire bottom of the pan.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:28 AM
Staging Lane

For a street car that is not a lowrider, I think the CTS-V pan is the very best choice by far if you dont want to hack on the engine crossmember, etc. I certainly so no reason at all to go with the LH8 over the CTS-V.

CTS-V part numbers here: https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...-oil-pans.html

I updated the post near the end with the dipstick/tube PN's. Get it from gmpartsdirect.com for the best price. Yeah, their shipping sucks, but you still come out ahead on big $ items.
Old 12-09-2008, 11:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

F-Body pan here transdapt 1" setback mounts on moroso 62630 pads close but works great. Bottom of the pan is level w crossmember.

Quick Reply: best oil pan for a g-body