Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fuel pumps in old tanks?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 08:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default fuel pumps in old tanks?

I want to put a welbro 255 in the tank of a 72 vega that has a electric pump in tank from the factory, my question is, are all the GM tank openings the same, and since it came with a in-tank pump will it have a baffle type tank? if not how do I make one? it's getting a 99ls1-200r4 trans, Don Hardy 12 bolt w/373's
i'm trying to keep it as close to a factory install so if it breaks down I can get what I need anywhere? I just starting to collect parts, I want to get ahead, so this spring I can start putting it together and not have to much of backtracking???
Thank you for your time
TC
Old 12-08-2008, 11:24 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

You have a 72 Vega that has an electric pump intank from the factory? Or are you using a tank from a later model car? Older GM cars had a smaller sending unit hole that you can't get a fuel pump in. They changed to the larger style sometime in the 80's. If you are using a late model tank, then yes it is most likley baffeled, and you should be able to mount the pump just like the original was mounted.
Old 12-08-2008, 04:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No it's the original tank.. they came with electric pumps..I didn't believe it either but they did.. thanks for replying.. TC
Old 12-08-2008, 05:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm honestly not sure. I dont see the difference in delivering the 120gph rate at 7psi most holley black users use *** opposed to the 255lhp (68gph) at 55psi you're talking about. I'm using a 97gph pump on a non sumped stock carb tank. the 97gph is higher than the 255lph you speek and although a higher pressure is no more volume like air would be as a fluid is non-compressable. 255lph at 7 psi is the same as 255lph at 55psi. I was told to run a sumped tank but i have personally run my take dry to the point of it running out the second i parked it in my trailer and never had a fuel starvation issued.

I dont know much about you're setup, i have been drinking, but fuel for fuel delivery i dont see it being a problem. I'm running 3/8" braided ss line running 10 awg house wire feeding the pump. 14.2v running the pump, no return line.