Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

i got some problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 12:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation i got some problems

i know this is the wrong forum but i cant find help anywhere...

i have a 99 tahoe with a vortec 350..one of the piston rods broke off and instead of taking the time to rebuild it since its my only vehicle i bought an engine off a buddy of mine..

its a 350 out of a 78 k10

now i heard all i have to do is swtich the heads over and im fine..but at the same time the 78 engine block didnt have a know sensor or crankshaft sensor since they werent computer controlled...is this going to work..using the 78 block with my 99 vortec heads...please i need to know now before we finish this project this weekend
Old 12-11-2008, 09:35 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

you'd be better off in the SBC/BBC forum, but i wouldn't do it unless you can disable the knock sensor. even then, the crank sensor is too important to disable, so i'd say you'd be better off finding an engine with provisions for the sensors.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Also the block/crank is a one piece seal as compared to the 78 block which is a two piece seal.. the crank end are different and will need a different flexplate.

You should be able to swap heads ok.

As far as the Knock sensor, the engine controller that does use it input signal. You might be able to take the block to a welder and have him weld a nut on to the side of the block that has the correct threads.