Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS 1 in 68 El Camino

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 03:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS 1 in 68 El Camino

Hi guys,
My name is Kev Preston and I am new to your site. I have put a 98 LS 1 into a 68 El Camino to use as a daily driver. Everything in the engine is stock at the moment. As I did not personally remove the motor I have a question about the servo/booster hook up. I have a pipe that runs from left exhaust manifold to the right one across the top of the engine which has a pair of small canisters in the line. This then terminates in an open fitting that seems to be in the right place to connect to my brake booster. Is this correct? I am used to dealing with older style engines where the booster is run direct from the intake manifold. Any help would be extremely useful. Thanks KEV.

P.S. forgot to say I am in England so some of my terminollogy is slightly different.
Old 12-11-2008, 05:39 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe the pipes you are asking about are for the air injection system. On the 99 SS I parted out, there was an electric air pump controlled by the computer to inject air into the exhaust. This is done at rich conditions to continue burning exhaust as it leaves the engine. This is only for emission control. DON'T tie your booster to that line! The pipes can be removed and plugged. My 99 brake booster did get it's vacuum from a fitting at the rear center of the intake manifold.(It may have been tapped onto other vac lines-I removed mine for manual brakes) Do a search for pictures on this forum. Cheerio!
Old 12-11-2008, 03:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i agree with old kid.
there should be a line connected from the back of the intake manifold to the brake booster.

the line you are describing sounds like part of the "air" system which is designed to pump air into the exhaust for emissions purposes. you don't need it, but if you remove it, you'd need some sort of blockoff plates for the manifolds (if you are even running the stock manifolds).

got any pictures of this car? sounds like a nice project, but you're probably better off asking questions in the conversions and hybrids section.