Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does an 4-Barrel DBW TB exist?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 04:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Does an 4-Barrel DBW TB exist?

Or can you convert a cable TB to DBW using the existing TB?

--JMarsa
Old 12-11-2008, 04:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ummm... huh?
FAST and a few other companies make a cable TB for the LS2 style 4 bolt intakes.
If you are asking for a 4 barrel carburetor design, I don't think one exists, but they do make an elbow that bolts up to the Carb. plenum, and then you can mount a TB to the end of that.
Old 12-11-2008, 04:11 PM
On The Tree

Yep looking to use a Vic Jr. and a 4bl style TB but want to keep the DBW set-up with ETC, cruise ect. Given the new line of crate motors GM is releasing with the controller that' s DBW I wasn't sure if anyone has produced a 4bl style TB that's DBW.

--JMarsa
Old 12-11-2008, 05:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Not sure how that is goign to work for you...
If you get the GM controller, it is going to be tuned for the factory style intake. If you switch to the different intake setup, then the wiring won't match up, and the programming will be way off.
Also, don't know that the GM setup has the wiring/programming in it for cruise control.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:18 PM
Teching In

Check this out...
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...sion-carb.html
Old 12-11-2008, 09:46 PM
On The Tree

Thanks skanitz1. That's the direction I'm looking for.

I was looking for a 4bl because from what I've read here, they out perform the single blade TBs.

I was also curious if the fly by wire motor and idler gear could be tranfered from a DBW TB to a cable set-up to make a hybrid. Accordiong to the doug rippie site: http://www.dougrippie.com/drm/induction_components.htm

"The F-Body 90mm is sold without the I.A.C. and T.P.S. and the Vette 90mm is sold without the fly by wire motor and idler gear. If you are installing on a car originally equipped with these parts, then these parts will transfer to the 90mm."

So I was thinking it may be possible to transfer the parts.

What I see from mast is an unfamiliar TB bolted to an adapter plate. Anyone know what TB this is?

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 3457
Size:  36.3 KB

--JMarsa
Old 12-12-2008, 09:58 AM
Teching In

I think that TB is just your average GM DBW, with a flange on it to accept a top mount air filter, then mounted to a 4 barrel adapter. On the website you posted it looks that they use a different DBW motor set up than the factory GM TB's use... It sticks way off to the side... hard to say if it would retrofit to a 4 barrel throttle body... I would think the set up pictured above would be sufficient up to a fairly high horsepower though... good luck!
Old 12-12-2008, 01:26 PM
On The Tree

Not being argumentative. This is how my 2004 LS6 DBW TB looks.

--JMarsa
Old 12-12-2008, 01:42 PM
Teching In

Ok, I didn't realize there were a couple of types... this is a picture of the one I was thinking of... looks like the one on the intake above. Its supposed to be from a trailblazer SS
Attached Thumbnails Does an 4-Barrel DBW TB exist?-ec05_1.jpg  
Old 12-12-2008, 02:25 PM
On The Tree

Default Verified

Nice Find. Here's a PIC of the TB being on a Trailblazer SS s/c install in sport truck mag.

The LS2's dropped some of the hose connections and the pinouts are different, but from what I recall can be re-pinned using the same connector.

--JMarsa
Old 12-12-2008, 03:19 PM
Teching In

Cool, I am trying to learn as much on here as I can... I am considering doing a swap, if I can come up with some money fund it! lol There is so much good info on this site. Best of luck in finding that 4 barrel to adapt dbw to!
Old 12-12-2008, 06:55 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by jmarsa
Thanks skanitz1. That's the direction I'm looking for.

I was looking for a 4bl because from what I've read here, they out perform the single blade TBs.

I was also curious if the fly by wire motor and idler gear could be tranfered from a DBW TB to a cable set-up to make a hybrid. Accordiong to the doug rippie site: http://www.dougrippie.com/drm/induction_components.htm

"The F-Body 90mm is sold without the I.A.C. and T.P.S. and the Vette 90mm is sold without the fly by wire motor and idler gear. If you are installing on a car originally equipped with these parts, then these parts will transfer to the 90mm."

So I was thinking it may be possible to transfer the parts.

What I see from mast is an unfamiliar TB bolted to an adapter plate. Anyone know what TB this is?

--JMarsa
That is our new drive-by-wire aluminum intake manifold setup. It uses an 87mm drive-by-wire throttle body. It is on most all new cars and trucks.

Hope this helps!!!
Old 12-12-2008, 09:04 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MastMotorsports
That is our new drive-by-wire aluminum intake manifold setup. It uses an 87mm drive-by-wire throttle body. It is on most all new cars and trucks.

Hope this helps!!!
That is a great looking setup! Have you got a picture of the back of the engine so we can see the coils/ignition box?, whatever? I don't suppose there will be any way to use this setup on a 24x engine? Ron

Quick Reply: Does an 4-Barrel DBW TB exist?