Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1BadBlazer - 1993 Fullsize/Turbo'd LSx

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 09:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1BadBlazer - 1993 Fullsize/Turbo'd LSx

From my original post on FSC at 2-25-2008...

Well after awhile of tinkering with the idea of some kind of 3rd Gen Fbody with an LSx swap, or an OBS LSx sporttruck, possibly a 99-02 NBS, 454SS, and a plethora of other things, I came across a DEAL I couldnt refuse... on a 1993 2dr blazer with no engine. :clap: I wasn't really looking for one, I mean, I love them, but everyone that has one wants a mint for them. Rightly so, short wheelbase fullsize trucks will turn on a dime, make great daily drivers, can back a trailer up anywhere, and are all around slick looking rides, especially the S

Anyways... here are the pics of when I picked it up

This is the "donor truck" 99 NBS 4.8L Silverado.

As much as I am trying to keep this well documented, I have failed. The silverado had a complete dash in it, all the electronics, seats, doors, etc. It was a running truck minus the front fenders and a bed. The guy I bought it from had cannibalized it because he wanted the 02 style front end on his newer truck. I just started stripping it and after a few hours was at the point you see. took me 3 weekends to strip it the rest of the way and get the engine in my garage. along with ALL the dash, wiring, fuseblock etc.

The blazer, seemed to be in pretty good shape until I started digging into it.
The driver door latch pin was all screwed up.
latch busted.
door panel wasted.
wouldnt shut unless you power bomb slammed it.
driver seat back is broken and missing the plastic so it cant be tilted forward.
back latch looked like the last key that was used was a crowbar.
back latch mech was unhooked.
Passenger door wouldnt open from outside.

All stuff I needed to fix before i even started "working" on it.

After only about 5 real days of work on it, heres where she is now.

More info coming, along with pics of the modded intake.

Everything pressure washed and ready to start wrenching. Waiting to get the engine bolted in so I'll know where to cut the frame for compressor clearance.

(update: I used a Sanden compressor from a TrailBlazerSS and custom motor mounts, no cutting needed)

Nasty brake line that will be replaced.

The start of the -6an power steering lines. Local speed shop was lacking some of the other size adapters friday.

Im still not sure on the inverted flare sizes I need for the brake lines, I'll get those together and make an order monday. After its running and driving, all of the control arms and pivots will get new energy suspension polyurethane bushings. New QA1 shocks (maybe coil overs if I can make them fit)Heavier sway bars, and a factory brake upgrade.
Old 12-14-2008, 09:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

After alot of sitting during the hot months, and parts gathering, I am getting back on it.

dropped it onto the bumpstops this weekend so I can measure the suspension geometry for my coilovers and 4-link bars. going to eliminate the torsion bars in front and put coilovers where the shocks are, yes they will fit. That'll give me alot more adjustability and save about 100lbs off the front.

mocking up the engine, mounts, and manifolds so I can start my hot pipes. also notice how far back it sits.

now that I have everything measured up, I'll lift the body off when I get a chance so I can do the welding and painting on the chassis. still scratching my head trying to figure out how to do it without destroying anything.

notice some of the marks on the firewall from where I welded in plates to cover the holes from the old ECU. when its off the frame I'll fill the body seams, then paint it with a fresh Glasurit white base/klear.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:55 AM
TECH Addict

Hmm col approach, good luck with the project
Old 12-17-2008, 09:10 PM
Staging Lane

love these fullsize rides, lookin good
Old 12-17-2008, 10:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That's gonna be a cool ride when it's done.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gonna be very nice. Good luck on the build keep us posted.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:06 PM
11 Second Club

thats a lot of rust
Old 12-18-2008, 11:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by extremetoy
thats a lot of rust
it looks like it is, but it isnt really. Mainly surface rust because I pressure washed the frame. These older trucks never came with a coating on them, so they do get a coating of rust on the surface of the bare steel. its a florida truck, so the underside is pristine compared to some of them I've seen.

Anyhow, thats mainly the reason I'm sandblasting and painting the frame, so it looks nice. "the kustom shop" has some single stage chassis coat black that is very shiny and hard. I cant stand the thought of putting a fresh clean powertrain in something thats not.
Old 12-22-2008, 06:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

I sold a kidney today so I can get twin forced inductions FI-62s.
Old 12-22-2008, 06:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

really? how do i get in on that
Old 12-29-2008, 11:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by eviltwin_1987
really? how do i get in on that
Mexican organ traders.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Truck looks pretty clean/solid for its age. I daily-drive a '94 with over 200K on the clock, and I love the thing. I've considered dropping in an LS1 or something similar, but see this as being out of my league (and lets face it, the labor to have someone else do it would be extreme).

Best of luck on your build.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks man... I agree, I love these things. Truthfully I was just going to drop the ls in and be done with it, but the more I dig into it, the more I want to restore it to better than new condition.

Check out the factory radio i snagged for it earlier this month. Aux input so I can hook it up to a Linux powered carputer. I'll try and get some pics of it in the dash as soon as I get an HVAC unit thats nice and clean. there was a little bit of cig smoke yellowing on it, but simple green and a toothbrush took it right off.

Old 12-30-2008, 12:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lookin good so far man.
Old 12-31-2008, 01:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

As far as the stereo option goes, I've never liked the setup in these things. I think you'll do okay with the AUX line, as it gives you more flexibility, but I don't have that. I've seen guys remove the original main unit and create a "pocket" there for sunglasses, etc. and install a CD player in the cassette deck area, but I don't like the look of the opening being there either. What I had considered, and have yet to take measurements to see it it were possible, was to remove the original unit and replace it with a GPS unit, creating a custom frame for it to mount it into the dash. Then, I'd drop in a CD player in place of the cassette deck and be pretty much set.

Its all just a thought right now, as I'm not sure how much money I want to put into the truck. Getting out of debt is my priority right now. Again, best of luck on your build.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Z fury, If you really want, there is a guy on greedbay that does these AUX inputs, my radio was just a factory job that he put the hookup in. He can also do it in just the back or both the front and back.

I actually have a blank blue dash plate and a pocket, but i like the odd-ball look of the 2 piece EQ and 90s digital readout.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As a former car audio installer I can't tell you how many of those I have tossed in the trash LOL. If you just want to go for the OEM look then they are ok but as far as sound quality goes they really suck. It just depends on what you are looking for. If you aren't an amp sub mid tweet kinda guy then you will be ok with it. Nice build though. Have you thought about putting a 95 or newer dash in it? Those to me always looked better but then again I had a 96 so I am a little partial to em.
Old 01-02-2009, 01:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm sure, I've tossed 2 in the trash in the past myself, LOL, but now I'd rather have it look stock. there is nothing a thieve likes to see more than an aftermarket headunit sticking out of the dash like a sore thumb, and they are bad down here. as far as quality goes, the AUX goes right to the "processor" for the speaker output, it'll be good enough to cover FM/XM and WMAs (which is fine for what I'm doing). My TBSS eventually will get something really nice, but I'm not that interested in that at this point.

I also have 3 nordskog digital gauges for the A-pilar and I am making a pod in the overhead console for 1 digital nordskog and a Eboost 2. the teal nordskog gauges look like they match the factory digital crap perfectly, and I am trying to get turbosmart to install a teal overlay for the Eboost.

I like the 95 dash ok, but if you upgrade that and leave all the other interior parts 93/4 it looks like ***, IMO. I would rather keep the blazer look like a blazer and not a tahoe at this point. Maybe some time I'll find a nice 98 2dr and drop a N/A LS in it, but right now this is just something to occoupy my mind while i'm not working or chasing women. the newer trucks are actually much easier to use as a swap, the electronics are almost plug and play.
Old 01-02-2009, 03:21 PM
Launching!

Pretty cool...I was hung up with the gas prices a few months ago and am putting a diesel in mine instead of a better gasser.

SWS
Old 01-04-2009, 11:56 AM
Launching!

Subscribed.

I love the 2dr K5's, they were always my favorites. Can't wait to see how this turns out.

Quick Reply: 1BadBlazer - 1993 Fullsize/Turbo'd LSx