Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LSX oil pumps

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 04:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LSX oil pumps

I have a 5.3L in a 1977 Chevy truck that is on air bags. I am using the stock 5.3l oil pan, but with the bags down, the oil pan would touch the ground since it hangs below the front x member. For a while I had a skid plate below the pan to protect it from the road. With the truck apart once again I want to cut a large part of the sump off from the bottom of the pan. I looked at the “Sticky LSX oil pan list” and no other pan will work with my motor mounts the way they are. My plan is to use the LS1 oil tube pick-up and set the oil pan depth accordingly. I think if i can “batwing” the pan and add an oil cooler with large lines ill make up for lost oil. Do I need to change to the ls1 oil pump to match the pick-up tube? What o-ring should I buy one for an LS1 or Truck? Thanks
Old 12-15-2008, 05:05 PM
TECH Addict

The stock f-body oil pan should give you a few extra inches of clearance, the vette wing pan might be too wide to fit.

As far as the pump goes they are all the same.
The pickup tube has to be the matching one for the pan, they are all diff. lengths.
The o-ring should be the same, i believe all the tubes have the same neck.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:48 PM
Teching In

The sticky "LS1 oil pans" thread shows a different part number for the o-rings. So if i get an LS1 oil pickup tube, i need an LS1 oil pick up o-ring ,and i can use my pump because all of the stock LSX Pums are the same. Right?
Old 12-16-2008, 06:04 AM
On The Tree

I'm in (or was) in the same boat. But I didn't want to spend 250 for a 5 qt pan so I cut about an inch off the bottom of the truck pan, rewelded the stock bottom on with the truck drain plug relocated to the cornter. Then shortened the pickup accordingly and BAM, el cheapo perfect oil pan.

As proof, I offer this relatively obscure pict of the final work.

Old 12-16-2008, 04:08 PM
TECH Regular

the pumps are the same, just use the O ring for the pickup tube.
Old 12-16-2008, 04:11 PM
TECH Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by Nashty
I'm in (or was) in the same boat. But I didn't want to spend 250 for a 5 qt pan so I cut about an inch off the bottom of the truck pan, rewelded the stock bottom on with the truck drain plug relocated to the cornter. Then shortened the pickup accordingly and BAM, el cheapo perfect oil pan.

As proof, I offer this relatively obscure pict of the final work.

LOL, Yeah but how much did you spend on those carbon fiber valve covers??
Old 12-30-2008, 12:12 PM
Staging Lane

I'm looking for more information myself on this subject. I am swapping an ls1 oil pan to a 6.0l motor.

There are indeed two different types of o-rings for the ls1 oil pump and one for the 6.0l oil pump. The 6.0l o-ring is thicker than the ls1 o-ring. They appear to have the same diameter inside and outside.

There is also a difference in the oil pumps. The depth from the mounting flange surface to the bottom of the o-ring groove is different on both pumps. The 6.0l is deeper than the ls1 pump. A difference of about .070"

I'm going to use the 6.0l o-ring with the ls1 pickup tube. If anyone else can confirm or deny that this is a good idea please jump on in. For reference it is a 98 ls1 pickup tube and a 2004 6.0l lq4.