Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gauges not working

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 05:15 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Gauges not working

We put a auto 98 LS1/tranny into a 97 camaro (formerly a 3.8 manual). I replaced the 97 gauge cluster with a 98 one. The engine cranks up and runs, but the gauge cluster is not working. The tach is stays at 7k (even with engine off), the oil pressure gauge pings back and forth when I turn my left blinker on. The lights for it won't even come on. I checked the wiring for the gauge inputs, and everything seems to be ok. In the alldata program (what i used to get the wiring diagrams) it said something about having to resyncrhonize the Instument Panel Cluster with the Supplemental Inflatable Restraint system. Could this have anything to do with the gauges not working?

Should I try the 97 gauge cluster to see if they still work? Thanks guys
Old 01-04-2009, 07:23 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i think we need a little clearer info. when you sayt he pinouts are right, do you mean the pinout on the actual cluster it self from 97-98 is the same? or that you rewired the 98 cluster to to plug right into the 97 harness?

the reason i ask is i used a cluster out of a 2001 v-6 camaro w/ a 01 pcm and it worked fine, but i wired my clusters pigtail to the c220 and c230 plugs.

the fact the your oil gauge is working funny when useing the blnker says to me the wires are deff not hooked up right.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:59 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I looked up teh pinouts for the cluster istelf, and they're the same for 97 and 98, so as far as I know (and have heard) it should be plug and play in that aspect.

As for c220 and c230, i did what you did: rewired them so that the different gauge signals (like the fuel level gauge: 97 comes directly from tank & on 98 it comes from PCM) would work with my body wiring.

I put my 3.8 97 cluster in and it lights up and some of the gauges work...heh. There aren't any more switched signals (such as the oil pressure gauge pinging when I turn my blinker on). Instead, the oil pressure gauge now stays pegged, unless I connect the wire that it gets signal from (tan B c220) to ground, then it goes to 0 as opposed to being maxed out. So I think there's still a ground somewhere that's not hooked up right. Gonna check on that now.

As for the 98 cluster, I think something may've happened to it b4 i got it B/c with it, the lights wouldn't even come on...
Old 01-06-2009, 11:47 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

are you sure the 98 one you got is a 98? may be a dumb question but i know a lot of stuff is diff 99+ up so it was a 99 cluster that could be part of the problem. since you have access to alldata just take a peak at the pinout for the 99 and up cluster and see if its diff and see wich wires are for blinker. if the pin for blinker is in the same spot as the pin for oil pres then your on the right track, just an idea. ggod luck