Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

another 2nd gen camaro swap..

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 06:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default another 2nd gen camaro swap..

alright you have read the title now, my question is what mounts (motor/trans) and headers are everybody using on their 2nd gen fbodys.id like to know what works best im planning on using an ls1/t56 combo but might go with a 4l60e.i know that there is alot of threads on this but i got tired of searching thru them.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:26 PM
Staging Lane

brp mounts and waiting on their headers. i like the mount kit cuz you can place the engine were you want it. if you arnt running a/c you can really push it back befor the alt hits the frame.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

how much is that kit?
Old 01-21-2009, 09:34 PM
On The Tree

Don't waste your money... use a set of $60 adapter plates from one of the many companies that make them... or just make your own. They work great in our cars. I'm using the Edelbrock plates and conversion headers. And I would advise against using the LH8 oil pan because it hangs way too low. F-body pans work well.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:44 PM
Teching In

brp hot rods sells a swap kit i think its 456 w/o shipping..im ordering it pretty soon for mine..after i get the engine built and car painted and everything is ready to a T

the site is www.brphotrods.com
Old 01-22-2009, 04:09 PM
Staging Lane

Use Brp and you will be sorry.Plus alot lighter in the wallet.If your using clam shell mounts, then use Transdapt plates. If you are using the early stye rubber mounts,use edelbrock plates,both cost about 60 dollars.Use the f body pan and
the nicely priced edelbrock conversion headers, with this combo you will have to locate your motor but everything will clear and the pan will not hang below the cross member.No smashed header tubes, no sledge hammering firewall.You will have to modify your transmission cross member which is no big deal.If you are going to run a/c , relocate a sanden 508 compressor(200.00 new) to the top passingerside, Kwik performance make a great bracket for less then 200.00.
Folks say you can use the compressor that came with your ls1 on 2 gens but if you survive the plumbing nightmare of leaving it low and it fails ,what did you save?The ls1 will fit in your car like it belonged there with this setup.
I know nobody wants to locate there motor, but 2nd gens came with chevy motors,pontiac motors, olds motors ,v8s,straight 6s and v6s and all these adaptor plates and or kits have one part number for 2 gens.So more then likely you going to have to locate it anyway.So good luck on your project and don,t get brped.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:11 PM
m6z
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by mrtywalsh
Use Brp and you will be sorry.Plus alot lighter in the wallet.If your using clam shell mounts, then use Transdapt plates. If you are using the early stye rubber mounts,use edelbrock plates,both cost about 60 dollars.Use the f body pan and
the nicely priced edelbrock conversion headers, with this combo you will have to locate your motor but everything will clear and the pan will not hang below the cross member.No smashed header tubes, no sledge hammering firewall.You will have to modify your transmission cross member which is no big deal.If you are going to run a/c , relocate a sanden 508 compressor(200.00 new) to the top passingerside, Kwik performance make a great bracket for less then 200.00.
Folks say you can use the compressor that came with your ls1 on 2 gens but if you survive the plumbing nightmare of leaving it low and it fails ,what did you save?The ls1 will fit in your car like it belonged there with this setup.
I know nobody wants to locate there motor, but 2nd gens came with chevy motors,pontiac motors, olds motors ,v8s,straight 6s and v6s and all these adaptor plates and or kits have one part number for 2 gens.So more then likely you going to have to locate it anyway.So good luck on your project and don,t get brped.
What is the part number for the Transdapt plates?
Old 01-22-2009, 08:42 PM
On The Tree

olblu where did you get your edelbrock parts from?
Old 01-22-2009, 09:17 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by johnson73801
olblu where did you get your edelbrock parts from?
Summit Racing... The headers and plates were on back order but it only took two weeks to get them. It was worth the wait in my opinion... nice parts.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:29 PM
Teching In

What is wrong with BRP??? Also, I agree with relocating the A/C compressor but have you seen the Kwik relocation bracket? It looks like crap.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:31 AM
Staging Lane

the kwik performance a/c relocation bracket is finished in natural color and if your using stock ls1 alt ,powersteering and belt system it looks like it belongs there.There are lots of companies making a/c relocation brakets that are chrome or pretty, that fine if that what you want.I like the stock look myself.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:14 AM
Staging Lane

The trans dapt # is 4592 and comes with plates and early stye rubber motor mounts.It,s about 60.00. I used the plate and ditched the motor mounts for clam shells.If you try to use the edelbrock plates with clam shells, the clam shell hits the alternator on a f body setup.I don,t know on the truck setup.
Old 02-01-2009, 02:26 PM
Staging Lane

Where abouts does the engine sit as apposed to its stock location, does it sit alot higher up or closer to the firewall? and it sounds like you have to drill with the edelbrock kits is this correct?
Old 02-02-2009, 06:20 AM
Staging Lane

Like I said 2nd gens have no less then 5 stock motor choices that mount in different places.When you order your plates or kit they dont ask you what motor do you have and send you different plates.The crossmember has more than one set of holes and maybe you will get lucky and a set of holes will line up.Using the edellbrock or other plates will keep the motor low and the f body pan will clear and not hang below the crossmember. There plenty of clearance for the trans dipstick on the firewall and the engine clears the steering.I used a stock 2000 trans am radiator with stock radiator hoses everything worked out great. The Brp kit that I tried to use in my 78 trans am had the motor to high and to far foward plus the h2 pan still hung well below the crossmember.I would like to here from somebody who used the Brp kit in a second gen and are happy with it.Chime in
Old 02-03-2009, 02:23 AM
Teching In

For my Gen IV 6 Litre/4L65E into '71 Firebird I used the Edelbrock plates, poly "tall and narrow" sbc mounts ( energy suspension #3.117 ) and '70-'72 Big Block Camaro frame stand brackets ( from Year One ) which bolted up to existing holes in the crossmember ( there are quite a few holes as mrtywalsh mentioned ). I had to modify my tranny crossmember to suit the 4L65E. I am happy with how the engine is positioned and I will be using the Edelbrock headers too which look good.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:12 AM
Staging Lane

I have the edelbrock headers on the car now and they look and fit great plus they are priced right.I dont have anything from the headers back and I think I will be using the edelbrock exhaust setup to finish my swap.Anybody use the complete edelbrock swap exhaust and how did it work out?
Old 02-03-2009, 07:12 AM
12 Second Club

jsmechanical--> How does the car drive?
Made the exact same swap in a c3 vette, and it's a thrill to drive.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:39 AM
Teching In

Najania,

The Firebird is still in the build, I'm on holidays for a month at the moment to try and get it completed......can't wait to get it done.......hopefully it will be up and running in March.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:45 AM
On The Tree

im glad to see that my post of curiosity has helped a few others aswell as myself.after looking at all the info so far and looking on the websites of manufactures ive decided ill use edelbrock headers and plates.that is after i save and get my motor then the other thing i have to decided is what exhaust to use.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:13 AM
TECH Junkie

I like my BRP kit, just hate the fact that the LH8 oil pan hangs below.

Quick Reply: another 2nd gen camaro swap..