Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS into Toyota Tacoma

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 01:25 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default LS into Toyota Tacoma

Hi, has anyone installed an LS into a newer Toyota Tacoma (or 4 runner for that matter).
I read a thread here but it was for an older model. I am more concerned about getting the engine to fit without having to hack the cab floor and the radiator mount, than about getting the engine running.
I will go with possibly a 4L65E, and I will shorten the drive shaft, i guess.
It all boils down to fitting the engine without damage to the body, I can do crossmembers and tranny mounts with no problem.
Thanks for your input.
Rat Chevelle
Old 01-23-2009, 05:32 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried to do a 97 2wd tacoma a few years ago and it was a train wreck. The steering rack and crossmember was completely in the way to get the motor mounted low enough to clear the tunnel. Now that the gto pans are floating around, I think it would have went in with it, or at least been close. The gto wasn't around yet when I was messing with it. I hacked the crossmember up, tried to build a tunnel in the pan for the rack, but it just wasn't working out. Just put the truck back to stock, and dropped the motor in an rx-7. The 4wd may be quite different, but that is my experience.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:10 PM
Teching In

Default 98 4runner

I need to finish my Datsun 280z swap !!! However, my daily driver is a 98 4-Runner with over 180,000 miles. I am seriously considering swapping LS#/4L60E into it if it could be done without hacking up the truck. I talk to the emissions guy to see how that should be handle, the next step is fitment and the Toyota 4-runner electric schematic. I will give Street & Performance a call and go by some junkyards and see if there is a wreck Four-runner minus engine so I can get a better look at the engine bay.
Old 12-11-2009, 05:48 PM
Teching In

there are two 2nd generation tacomas that I know of that have a LS6 in them. And there is a company, Tundra Racing, that is selling parts for the swap. Ill soon have one myself in my Xrunner.
Old 12-11-2009, 06:10 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

What about the one on planetlsx.com?
Old 12-12-2009, 05:16 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by y2k_ta
What about the one on planetlsx.com?
I just stumbled upon that one in the last few weeks as it was down here in FL for the turkey rod run at daytona international speedway. They have the setup Im shooting for, ls6 + T56. I have a good source for my motor and tranny, TundraRacing has the mounts, radiator and headers and are supposed to have more available.

Quick Reply: LS into Toyota Tacoma