Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Holley Pump Discharge Nozzle size

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 02:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Holley Pump Discharge Nozzle size

Wondering if anyone has changed out to a larger size and with what results. My carbed LQ-4 has an HP series 750 and a GMPP single plane intake. When I punch it a little it stumbles like it's running out of gas. Now I just got it running and drove it around the block so it needs a tune and the timing set-up. But after the stumble it moves right along. Carb has a 30cc accel. pump and I was told that single plain intakes need a little bigger shot of fuel. I called Holley tech and was told to increase the discharge nozzle size a 0.35 and .037. They said try that before changing the accel. pump. My discharge nozzles are 0.31 primary and 0.28 secondary. (The carb is brand new)
Just wondering if anyone has run into a similar siuation. Thanks
Old 01-26-2009, 03:30 PM
9 Second Club

.35 and .37 is what we ran on the 6.0. I thinks the holley tech is on the right path. After that you can change the accel. pump cam to fine tune and bring the fuel in when you need it.
Old 01-26-2009, 07:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for sharing that. Glad that you reminded me, I sort of forgot that you can change the cam to bring in the squirt a little sooner on the accel. pump.
Old 01-27-2009, 05:45 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Read through the "who has run a carb and dist" sticky at the top of this section.

Lots of guys discussing their carb set up.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks...... I'll check there.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:26 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

the single plane intakes need a pretty agressive shot, also depending on the cam profile-you dont want to go to crazy with the squirters, esp a 30cc, or you can empty them to early-i found the fact. pink cams are a little low in the int shot, but last longer-i switch to the green cams, in the #1 hole, then based on the idle vacume, pick a powervalve that will open a little sooner, helps out in the transion to the boosters-most cams out there are actually designed for FI, where the fuel is injected right at the head, not designed to "pull" the fuel through long runners, although they work good-as fuel is pulled through the runners, a certain amount sticks to them, so by the time it hits the combustion chamber, w/o a good shot, its lean(now some of this is either bulls@&t or correct, but seems to hold true, lol)
i actually took a carb off my 489 B/B blowthru car that ran 9's, and it would not run on my 6.0 (which is also procharged) w/o pump cam/squirter work, so kind of bears out the runner ther.
more than you really wanted to know, right, lol
Old 01-27-2009, 08:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Maybe I'll start with the cam change first then proceed to the power valve. Depending how it does will determine if I go to the squirters. Thanks

Quick Reply: Holley Pump Discharge Nozzle size