Sponsored by:

LSx conversion questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 10:56 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LSx conversion questions

hey guys -
im swapping in a carb'd LS1 into my 95 camaro. I am using the msd box to control the engine/timing etc..

I have my factory pcm/bcm removed and am only planning on using the factory harness for headlights/flashers/windows.

I have been thinking alot about the altenator situation. I have the power lead for the alt squared away but do i need that electrical connector that plugs into the back of the alt? or is that just for the dummy light in the dash.

Please feed me some info on what you guys would advise me to do? im not in a huge hurry, as right now the car is apart and im going thru the factory main harness removing anything im not using.

thanks

Nick
Old 01-31-2009, 11:16 AM
TECH Resident

Old 02-02-2009, 06:02 PM
TECH Resident

anybody??
Old 02-02-2009, 06:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteLTone
hey guys -
im swapping in a carb'd LS1 into my 95 camaro. I am using the msd box to control the engine/timing etc..

I have my factory pcm/bcm removed and am only planning on using the factory harness for headlights/flashers/windows.

I have been thinking alot about the altenator situation. I have the power lead for the alt squared away but do i need that electrical connector that plugs into the back of the alt? or is that just for the dummy light in the dash.

Please feed me some info on what you guys would advise me to do? im not in a huge hurry, as right now the car is apart and im going thru the factory main harness removing anything im not using.

thanks

Nick
Well.. your updating of to a Gen III/IV power plant is common now adays alone with the MSD carb setkup, all part can be scavaged off of any junk yard later model F-body. (K-member, trans cross member, accessories, etc,) so parts are not a problem.

You can get the plug from any GM dealer or parts store that has them. If not current performance or EFI connection will sell you the plug. The plug should be a 4 pin connector. Depending on what year your harness, Alternator and PCM is, yes it could activate the Alternator via the PCM or via a idiot light.

What year harness and Alternator do you have.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:11 PM
TECH Resident

my car is a 95. the motor i'm putting in the car will be ran using the msd ls1 box. i do not have an engine harness other than the one that comes with the msd kit. i dont need anything else really. im not running a factory pcm at all. thats why im wondering how i should hook the ALT up.