Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Truck A/C w/ F-Body Accessories?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 11:37 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Truck A/C w/ F-Body Accessories?

Hi,
has anyone modified the Truck A/C bracket or compressor to be used with the F-Body accessories?

I assumed that since the Compressor was bolting to the block through the bracket, that the a/c wasn't going to move back. Along with that assumption, I assumed that the difference was going to be picked up by the F-Body crank pulley. Of course, I was wrong again......

This budget build is getting costly quicker than I had hoped. So far, the only truck accessory I was able to re-use is the alternator and that took all day nibbling at the power steering gear box to get it to fit.

I have the room at the cross member [67 chevelle] for the a/c unlike some others due to my engine placement.

Thanks

Rob
Old 02-01-2009, 02:14 PM
On The Tree

Well,
I went ahead and modified the truck A/C bracket to work. I know the difference between truck and F-Body accessories is 3/4". I also saw that the F-Body crank pulley I have is 3/8" different than the truck pulley was. So I had to get the bracket 3/8" further back. I drilled/slotted the existing holes by 3/8" to make it work.

Now, I didn't realize the diameter of the F-Body pulley is different by 3/16" so I might have spent a couple hours on this for no reason as the truck a/c belt is too loose. Can I buy different length belts? any suggestions?

Thanks for any input.

Rob
Old 02-01-2009, 09:22 PM
TECH Regular

I would see about getting a different length belt. If thats the truck belt maybe try the fbody one or visa versa.
Old 02-01-2009, 09:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

what alt bracket is that?
Old 02-01-2009, 09:44 PM
12 Second Club

you can definetly get a correct belt. i had a similar problem when i tried to fit a vette setup bracket on my fbody setup. i was running a vette procharger bracket on my fbody setup. i was throwing belts like crazy trying to fine tune my pulley alignment. i even threw a belt one time , that managed to saw threw my powerstreering resovoir! i sure hope you dont run into this kind of problem!
Old 02-01-2009, 10:44 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by sman
I would see about getting a different length belt. If thats the truck belt maybe try the fbody one or visa versa.

Good thought, thanks

Originally Posted by TTLS1GP
what alt bracket is that?
F-Body bracket that came in F-Body accessory kit.

Jomomma,
were you getting custom size belts? or just trying different lengths out?

Thanks guys.

Rob
Old 02-02-2009, 04:40 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just grab a different length belt from the parts store. The length is coded right into the part number, theres a post somewhere in here on how to read the PN for the length.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:15 PM
12 Second Club

i was just getting different length belts until i found the right one! the length is usually the last few #`s of the part #
Old 02-02-2009, 09:53 PM
On The Tree

OK,
I will search for the post that shows me how to get the correct length from the part number.

Thanks guys!!!

Rob
Old 02-02-2009, 10:51 PM
TECH Regular

To actually come up with the correct length just use a string or rope and run it through the pulleys and measure it. Usually if you tell someone at a parts store you need a 26in 5 rib belt they can come up with it but every parts store is different, some have bigger idiots working there than others.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by sman
To actually come up with the correct length just use a string or rope and run it through the pulleys and measure it. Usually if you tell someone at a parts store you need a 26in 5 rib belt they can come up with it but every parts store is different, some have bigger idiots working there than others.

OK, thanks

Rob
Old 02-03-2009, 01:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Just went through this for my modified accessory drive.
Belts are coded by number of ribs and length in inches or mm in their part number. You can cut your existing one, overlap it and measure the length you want. Then go to the Gates website and look up available length belts. Most good auto parts stores can crossreference that to one on their shelf.
Or if they cant, you can go to Rock Autos website and find the application that belt was used on.

Quick Reply: Truck A/C w/ F-Body Accessories?