Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS4 (fwd) into 1994 Acura Legend coupe

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 10:56 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS4 (fwd) into 1994 Acura Legend coupe

So I have a complete LS4 lift out I've been hanging onto for a while now and a friend wants this Acura Legend towed out of his back yard, clean car over all just has a bad trans. My question is the obvious. Is it possible to stuff this LS4 into this body with little fabrication. As always your opinions and advice is appreciated thanx.
Mario

ps- I do like challanges too lol
Old 02-06-2009, 11:40 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anything is possible, just be aware of complications associated with the unconventional way the Legend drive train is configured.
Old 02-07-2009, 05:00 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMHO there are so many other RWD platforms that would make a much better platform.
Old 02-07-2009, 05:03 PM
01z
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by NTIMD8
IMHO there are so many other RWD platforms that would make a much better platform.
but its fwd and he already has all the major components im assuming. im not familiar w/ acura legends so i have no idea how much work it would take. im guessing there would be tons of little crap that would add up
Old 02-07-2009, 06:45 PM
Launching!

Ahh I missed the fact that the motor is out of a FWD. This is the motor out of the GXP and such right?
Old 02-07-2009, 09:39 PM
Launching!

Motor is out of an 06 Impala ss. I have the complete motor, transmission, eco (brain) wiring etc. Even the belts and radiator with hoses. I know there will be some unknown issues that will occur but I'm wanting to try something different being there is really no market for this motor or car for that matter. If it can be done with LITTLE head ache and minimal fabbing I'll prolly give it a try but just wondering if anyone ventured anything similar before?
Old 02-07-2009, 09:41 PM
11 Second Club

i dont know about minimal fabbing but i would start with a measuring tape first to see if it will even fit
Old 02-07-2009, 11:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

well, I've seen an L67 stuffed into a Cavalier, and the LS4 is similar in width (header to header) so I am going to assume that there is enough room from the rad cradle to the firewall. I doubt it will fit between the shock towers! Even if it does, the width of the car is somewhat narrower so custom length axles are going to be a must unless you want to have the wheels outside of the fenders.

Can it be done? of course!
With minimal fab? Not likely.
Old 02-08-2009, 07:43 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TTLS1GP
well, I've seen an L67 stuffed into a Cavalier, and the LS4 is similar in width (header to header) so I am going to assume that there is enough room from the rad cradle to the firewall. I doubt it will fit between the shock towers! Even if it does, the width of the car is somewhat narrower so custom length axles are going to be a must unless you want to have the wheels outside of the fenders.

Can it be done? of course!
With minimal fab? Not likely.
Much appreciated, so being I am a total newbie to the whole conversion thing where might i find or have thses custom length axles made? The wiring and axels thing is where I'm a bit nervous lol.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:44 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would think the wiring and half shafts would be the least of your worries. Putting and LS7 in a Fiero is probably more straight forward, so you might want to check that thread out.

Unless you are very experienced in structural fabrication, I might pass on this swap. You would probably be better off converting the car to RWD. I would take some measurements. I doubt the length of the V8 plus trans axle is shorter than the width of the V6 that's in there. This would require the entire front of the car to be re-engineered and fabricated.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by mariojmoe
Much appreciated, so being I am a total newbie to the whole conversion thing where might i find or have thses custom length axles made? The wiring and axels thing is where I'm a bit nervous lol.
most driveline shops can make 'em or at least know someone who can. There are alot of online places that you can send them measurements and they will make them for you.

Like others have said, not the best choice for a minimal fab swap but I always live by "Don't interrupt someone doing what you say can't be done!"

Or my project wouldn't be happening either!
Old 02-08-2009, 11:29 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TTLS1GP
most driveline shops can make 'em or at least know someone who can. There are alot of online places that you can send them measurements and they will make them for you.

Like others have said, not the best choice for a minimal fab swap but I always live by "Don't interrupt someone doing what you say can't be done!"

Or my project wouldn't be happening either!
I'm going to check into that in a few days. I drive trucks cross country for a few weeks at a time and am still young and single, that being said and done I have all the time in the world and am in no hurry. It's more about doing it for the thrill than #'s or drag performance. So again thanx for the input, After a few measurements to see if this liftout is going to fit width wise (shock towers) and a couple of calls to painless wiring and these drive line shops I will see if it's a dudd or trigger puller. As for ur project, If I had the $ and skill a rwd converted anything would be awesome although I wouldn't put that kinda cash in a 15 year old tired Acura lol. I"m guessing my theory is I have decent near freebee liftout with ultra low miles thats complete but no market for, and first dibs on a 400 dollar 2 owner very clean straight fwd car that also has no market for soit makes financially sense to me to go for it.

Quick Reply: LS4 (fwd) into 1994 Acura Legend coupe