Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

swapping LQ4 into '91 Camaro, have some questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 03:00 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default swapping LQ4 into '91 Camaro, have some questions

I've got a few questions concerning a swap I'll be tackling very soon on my '91 Z28. I picked up a complete LQ4 from a 2001 Silverado that's got all the accesories minus the alternator, and it has the wiring harness and computer.

My understanding is that the truck intake manifolds will not fit under the hood of an fbody, or at least not on a 3rd gen. So I'm looking around for an LS6 intake, but is there anything else you have to change when switching from a truck manifold to an fbody one? Are the fuel rails and all that the same, or is there more to it thatn simply taking one manifold off and putting the other one on?

Another question I have is the accesories. I can't use the truck accesories because they won't fit with the K-member, or something along those lines. Is this a simple switcharoo or is there more to it than simply taking off all the truck accesories and bolting on fbody ones with new brackets?

I appreciate your guys' help. I can't wait to get this 6.0 in the car with a nice cam and some L92 heads. I think she'll be a screamer before too long.
Old 02-14-2009, 03:31 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're putting an lq4 in? Sweeeet. I was wondering when that Z was going to get some power.

First off, you'll need everything from the LSx intake. I have a 5.3 which had shorter injectors that didn't fit the ls6 rails. I don't know about the LQ4 if it has different injectors or not? I had to splice the connectors off my old TPI harness onto the trucks harness to mate up to taller, older style connector of the LS6 intake. But it worked out fine. A couple other things I changed around that area were the O/P switch. The truck one I had was a one wire, so I swapped to a 'vette switch that's 3 wire to mate up to the TPIs fuel pump fail safe turn on. With the truck coils I bent the fuel inlet pipe upwards because it shot straight at the #5 coil. Again, no big deal just go slow.

I don't know about the truck acc because I used a kit from carshopinc that allowed me to retain my 3rdgen alt (because I didn't get my motor with an alt.) From what I understand the acc themselves fit well enough, you need to space the alt bracket a bit so it doesn't contact the hood but the outlet of the h2o pump sticks up where the TB would be on the LS6 intake...
Old 02-14-2009, 03:43 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea I got a pretty good deal on the complete motor intake to oil pan, the wiring harness, and the computer all for $950. The vert has been begging for more power for years now lol.

Thanks for the help, I'm sure the LQ4 has some things in commong with the 5.3L since they're both truck motors, unless you got yours from a Monte or GP or something.

Quick Reply: swapping LQ4 into '91 Camaro, have some questions