Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MSD 6010 Buy direct from msd or go F.I.

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 06:42 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default MSD 6010 Buy direct from msd or go F.I.

If you are buying a 6010 box get it direct from msd. I recieved one from summit on 2/14/09. How romantic is that. LOL. Yesterday I called MSD tech and after he asked about grounds & 12 volt pos. he asked where I got it. When I told him & asked is that good or bad he was silent. Silence speaks volumes. Apparently summit and I'm sure other suppliers have old boxes that you can't crank the engine fast enough to produce spark without removing the spark plgs. A very large hurdle is trying to run a motor without spark plugs. Now I must send the box to msd to have repaired/ adj. This isn't so bad as my car is not moving for a while but would be if it was sunny & 70 deg. here. I don't see why msd wouldn't have the old boxes returned to them from suppliers for repair before shipping to cust. but I guess there the only game in town.So the moral here is if you get one get it direct from msd or this is another reason to just go f.i.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:31 PM
Launching!

I think either way your beef should be with MSD. Unless MSD notified Summit and requested these box's be returned and recalled the box's. I have read of some other people having similar problems (MSD saying to few RPM's for start up), but I don't think that MSD has ever admitted there was a problem with their box's. I'm not trying to defend MSD or Summit, but the MSD box only controls the ignition, it does not determine how fast your engine cranks. There may ultimately be a problem with how your box reads the info from the sensors, thus giving you no spark.
I am running the MSD 6012 box and also had a problem with my ignition. I was inadvertantly only putting like 6.5 volts (or so) to my box instead of 12 volts required. My engine still started up and ran, until I put a good load on it and then it would start breaking up. Once I got the full 12 volts to the box it solved the problem.
So there may be a some underlying problem with some of the box's MSD put out but I think you'll have a hard time getting them to admit it. Those MSD techs are pretty much usless, huh? What kind of car do you have? Is it set up for FI? My car wasn't so it would have been much more of a pain, and more expensive to convert to FI. Good Luck, I hope MSD takes care of you.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Is there a way to tell which it is by looking at it? serial number or something?
Old 02-19-2009, 11:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

to be honest with you all msd box's are like that to a point if your battery doesnt have a good charge you'll catch hell cranking it.but as long as your battery is ok no problems..
Old 02-19-2009, 11:57 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by djquik88
Is there a way to tell which it is by looking at it? serial number or something?
X2 I would like to check mine
Old 02-20-2009, 06:51 AM
Staging Lane

There is no serial # on the boxes. My beef isn't with summit the box is given to them by msd. They just sell the box like other suppliers. The motor cranks over with 10.97 volts and has no acc. hooked to it not even a trans. there is a thread at msd in troubleshooting from tosto racing. That thread seems to be very interesting. I'll see if I can get it. I'm sure msd will fix it but when you buy something you get your hopes up that it will work when you insall it & not have to return it. I know nobody's perfect but I have read where this is not a uncommon problem.
Here is the link. You have to read all through.http://www.msdignition.com/forum/sho...highlight=6010
Old 02-20-2009, 07:40 AM
Staging Lane

I have the same issue with mine. Or I should say I had the same issue. Mine worked fine on the dyno, but when I put it in the vehicle it would start 1 in 10 times. I checked everything, voltage to box, cranking voltage, grounds, you name it. I tried a second MSD box. I went as far as to wire in an igntion relay near the box thinking maybe the voltage dropped just enough the box would not fire.

Finally, I called MSD to see if they had seen anything like this. They told me because I have high compression, 13.7 to 1, when the cranking speed of the engine would vary, the box would not turn on. They told me of a "software" change they could do if I sent the box back to them. This was on Thursday morning of the LSX Shootout weekend. We were leaving in 6 hours for Memphis, a 12 hour drive for us. After some discussion, they agreed to next day another box the the event. It arrived at 9:30 a.m. Friday and I was able to run the event.

Even with the new software the box is not perfect. Sometimes it still won't start, and I have to let off the starter and hit it again. It runs fine, 703 N/A HP, but I think I am going to change to a distribitor in the future.
Old 02-21-2009, 06:42 AM
Staging Lane

Well at least they took care of it. I think msd needs a little competition though. This way everbody has to try a little harder. In todays world I think quality is second to getting it on the shelf to sell.. Maybe I'm wrong but it's been a long time since I've bought a "bolt on" part that worked or fit right out of the box. It would also be nice if you would call tech support one day with a problem and for once they would say I've seen this before. Every time I talk to tech from a company not just msd it seems as though I have a special problem never seen before. I'm sure they get some rude people on the phone but they choose their job. I did not choose it for them.
Old 02-21-2009, 07:13 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

i have read on here about the problems with the cranking rpms, i guess i have been lucky, i run lower comp with the supercharger, and the thing starts so fast its great-i have hit 7k a couple times, it keeps on ticking
when i first got it, i was having a hard time fig out how to program it, called MSD about it-the guy spent almost an hour with me, he was great
i though about draining the bat a little, see if it would fail on lower voltage, lower cranking rpm (i see around 150 rpms cranking)
i run a huge cable to the front, less voltage drop, and i use a junkyard starter
i took the starter apart, gave it a through cleaning and grease it up good
from working on some small engines, i have found a starter not well greased can fight a not so new battery, but pull it apart and lube it, like night and day
i would think MSD prob has worked on the problem, but like car manf., they will repair something they know is a problem, only respond to the ones that fail, if it works, they dont bother with it

Quick Reply: MSD 6010 Buy direct from msd or go F.I.