Sponsored by:

Project L33 Cherk

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 12:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Project L33 Cherk

'79 Cherokee Chief NT
'05 L33 Motor (14,000 Miles - been sitting in a Silverado HO for 2 Years waiting for me)
'93 4L80e Trans/241C TC
'94 HPD60 4.10(possibly 10.25 too, but I have a 14b of unknown provenance I might use instead)

I just finished picking up the Motor, Harness and Accessories and now the real work must begin. I've done a little probing of the body on the Cherokee to see what panels need replaced, and after I have pulled a few dents out all I should have to do is swap in a new tailgate(which I already have) and replace the floorboards. I'll do a little creative trimming too, but for the most part this will be a full bodied family wheeling rig/daily Driver.

My intentions are to do m715-style Fenders (front and rear w 3/16), and 38" to 40"ish tires of whatever flavor I find a good deal on (Irok, MTR, Krawlers, etc). I'd also like to replace the TC with something a little more aggressive (203/205 Doubler, STaK or Atlas 4sp) but the 241c should do fine for starters.

Below are pics of what I am starting with, hopefully I'll be able to make regular progress and updates:

Last edited by Nooner; 03-02-2009 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Changed 'HD' to HO
Old 03-02-2009, 03:04 PM
Teching In

I've gotten a little bit of work done over the past few days, but the most exciting has been getting the engine into my shop, cleaned (well dusted and stripped of the old harness), and mounted on a stand. I also swapped the Drive by Wire throttle body out for a mechanical one.

My shop is not 'super' well equipped yet, so I needed to buy an Engine Hoist to 1. Get the Motor out of the back of my Suburban, and 2. Get the old motor out of the Cherokee (as well as pulling the drivelines from the z71 and F350). So now that I've made that investment, I should be able to get the Transmission and Transfer case from the z71 Next weekend, and hopefully the axles from the F350 the following.

A few pics(note the Aluminum Block and the 799 heads):

http://gallery.me.com/py0477#100033&...lack&view=grid

Old 03-02-2009, 03:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

That's funny I thought all L33's were DBW, it's got hte 799 and aluminum block. And the HD's never had L33 ever just hte 1/2 ton's.

But looks great should be nice when you get it in there!
Old 03-02-2009, 04:01 PM
Launching!

Thats a cool looking truck! You dont see too many of those around these days!
Old 03-02-2009, 06:56 PM
TECH Regular

That will be a cool truck for sure
Old 03-02-2009, 09:39 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Bo185
That's funny I thought all L33's were DBW, it's got hte 799 and aluminum block. And the HD's never had L33 ever just hte 1/2 ton's.

But looks great should be nice when you get it in there!
You're right - should be HO up there, not HD - typo, it was an Extended Cab 1500 with the HO Motor Option.

I just changed out the DBW throttle body for a Mechanical Throttle body - I have the DBW one I'll be happy to sell I do have to figure out what to do with that air inlet - I don't really want to change out my 2005 DBW Intake for a earlier drive by wire one, but I may have no choice...
Old 03-03-2009, 10:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nooner
You're right - should be HO up there, not HD - typo, it was an Extended Cab 1500 with the HO Motor Option.

I just changed out the DBW throttle body for a Mechanical Throttle body - I have the DBW one I'll be happy to sell I do have to figure out what to do with that air inlet - I don't really want to change out my 2005 DBW Intake for a earlier drive by wire one, but I may have no choice...
AIR inlet?

The intake's should be the same between the two.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:14 AM
Teching In

AIR inlet?

The intake's should be the same between the two.
I think the intake manifold is a bit different:

I could also take a picture or two of the intake on my '01 Yukon to further illustrate the difference, but I think it is fairly apparent in the photo.

I think I may remove the one on the right, thread it and plug it. but I am very open to other solutions!

Edit - I'll look for the thread on your Scout buildup in a minute or two - but here is a picture of the throttle body I removed:

you can see the little air inlet on the right - I am ASSuming it is some sort of air inlet, but I don't really know, I just know that the same function is served by both circled areas in the first picture.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

That's just for the pass. crank vent. The cable TB vents into the TB. The DBW vents into the intake.

Just leave it like it is and plug the one in the cableTB. easy enough.

EDIT: You could remove the tube from the TB and tap and plug the hole. The ports on bottom are for the TB coolant heater.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:37 AM
Teching In

That's just for the pass. crank vent. The cable TB vents into the TB. The DBW vents into the intake.

Just leave it like it is and plug the one in the cableTB. easy enough.

EDIT: You could remove the tube from the TB and tap and plug the hole. The ports on bottom are for the TB coolant heater.
Awesome!!! Thanks!

I figured it was some kinda funky air inlet, but turns out it is an outlet (of sorts...)

Having the Yukon here to peek at while I am putting this together is pretty nice, so far that is the only real difference between the two and I knew whatever the function of it is, was covered.

Thanks again, and I'll be glad to take any advice you have to offer!
Old 03-04-2009, 10:45 AM
Teching In

Got a little more work done, I hope to pull the seats and glass in the next couple days, then I will vacuum the interior and see what else I can break down:

and I'm also starting to work on the harness - I'm gonna do a full stand alone:

Only ran into two problems - one connector is missing from the harness - no biggie, I have the connector from another harness - and the injectors use different plugs that the ones that are on the harness I am working up. Again no biggie, since I have two harnesses - a chopped one that was connected to the motor and a near complete one that was part of my purchase:

Quick Reply: Project L33 Cherk