Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chevelle LM7 swap for under $3000

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 02:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Chevelle LM7 swap for under $3000

This is my goal for doing a carbed LM7 into my 65 Chevelle. Think I can make it happen? I already have a few parts, tranny/carb/radiator etc. Here are some numbers I have been playing with, feel free to pick it apart and save me some money or tell me what I am missing

Complete LM7 from LKQ $400
Edelbrock Victor Jr carb intake $289
GMPP Hot cam kit $476
MSD 6010 $319
GM LH8 oilpan $250
BRP LS kit $489
BRP Mid-length headers $499

For a total of under $2800. That would leave me a lil wiggle room for new gaskets etc.
Old 02-28-2009, 02:12 PM
On The Tree

Oh and here is the current status of my Chevelle. Just finished cleaning the firewall last night, doing a lil sanding and shot everything with Eastwood underhood black. Will post up more pics when I get a chance. The front end is getting all new parts including SPC arms, C5 brakes and some C6 wheels

Last edited by g6t6o; 02-28-2009 at 05:57 PM.
Old 02-28-2009, 06:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

oil pan gasket - $50
timing gasket - $30
timing chain - $30
tranny spacer if auto - $80
oil pump - $100
intake gaskets - $30
LS1 radiator hoses - $40
coolant - $30
oil and filter - $40

I wouldnt waste money on the hotcam though. Even in a 5.3L there are better cams to be had if going through all of the trouble. Just remember to use red thread locker on the 3 cam bolts and 2 cam retainer plate bolts.
Old 02-28-2009, 09:22 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

oil pan comes with gasket
I reused timing gasket and its fine

what is in the brp kit that you need? I made some engine mount brackets for under $20 and a couple hours time
Old 03-01-2009, 11:41 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
oil pan comes with gasket
I reused timing gasket and its fine

what is in the brp kit that you need? I made some engine mount brackets for under $20 and a couple hours time
The BRP kit comes with motor and frame mounts, and their cross member. I really want something that I can just bolt right up, without having to fab anything.

And I found the LH8 pan kit for $150, so I saved $100 right there!
Old 03-01-2009, 01:34 PM
On The Tree

Chevelle looks cool man! I didn't use the BRP kit at all, but from the research I have done [I see you saw my thread], I think I first used the BRP style adapters which put the engine forward more than the S&P style. I also made my own frame stands that put the engine a little higher than most A-Body swaps I have seen. They had to be taller to make the CTS-V pan I am using clear the cross member with the engine forward. It all seemed to be heading in the right direction until I tried to bolt on some Hooker Swap headers. The engine was too high at that point to be able to bolt on the Headers, the alternator to power steering box was too tight [using F-Body accessories], The steering shaft to header clearance was not going to happen, and the tunnel was going to need to be modified all the way back to the back seat. When I found a crack in my frame, I took the body off to check frame against specs. Frame is OK, welded up crack.

So, now it is a different game plan. I have now made some S&P style adapters [move the engine back farther than BRP style]. Since the engine is back more, I am able to shorten my frame stands. This makes the alt to power steering box good, but I have had to modify the trans cross member and the tie rod to oil pan clearance is very tight. I have not been able to get the body back on yet to finalize engine placement, but if this works, the tunnel needs less work, the headers will fit [I hope]......yada yada yada.

There are so many variables, and it has taken me weeks/months just to identify all of them. If the body goes on and I have all the clearances I need, I will have wished I didn't start with the BRP style to start with, but this story isn't over yet.

Got your PM. I ate lunch at Chili's in your home town Friday and saw a Cop there that I went to high school with......... small world.

What kind of wheels do you have on your Chevelle? I like them.

Sorry for the long assed reply.......

Rob
Old 03-01-2009, 02:25 PM
Teching In

Like Shawn said, don't bother with a hot cam. Get something like a tr224 or a tsp 224r. You'll need to upgrade the valve springs with either of those cams though. Comp 918's or PAC 1218's are both good choices.
Old 03-01-2009, 02:35 PM
Tig
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice work, lookin good.
Old 03-01-2009, 05:26 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by robbied31
Chevelle looks cool man! I didn't use the BRP kit at all, but from the research I have done [I see you saw my thread], I think I first used the BRP style adapters which put the engine forward more than the S&P style. I also made my own frame stands that put the engine a little higher than most A-Body swaps I have seen. They had to be taller to make the CTS-V pan I am using clear the cross member with the engine forward. It all seemed to be heading in the right direction until I tried to bolt on some Hooker Swap headers. The engine was too high at that point to be able to bolt on the Headers, the alternator to power steering box was too tight [using F-Body accessories], The steering shaft to header clearance was not going to happen, and the tunnel was going to need to be modified all the way back to the back seat. When I found a crack in my frame, I took the body off to check frame against specs. Frame is OK, welded up crack.

So, now it is a different game plan. I have now made some S&P style adapters [move the engine back farther than BRP style]. Since the engine is back more, I am able to shorten my frame stands. This makes the alt to power steering box good, but I have had to modify the trans cross member and the tie rod to oil pan clearance is very tight. I have not been able to get the body back on yet to finalize engine placement, but if this works, the tunnel needs less work, the headers will fit [I hope]......yada yada yada.

There are so many variables, and it has taken me weeks/months just to identify all of them. If the body goes on and I have all the clearances I need, I will have wished I didn't start with the BRP style to start with, but this story isn't over yet.

Got your PM. I ate lunch at Chili's in your home town Friday and saw a Cop there that I went to high school with......... small world.

What kind of wheels do you have on your Chevelle? I like them.

Sorry for the long assed reply.......

Rob
Thanks! It's trial and error like what you are doing that makes it easier for all of us that are lagging behind

The wheels and tires are C6 takeoffs, had to run some adapters to get the backspacing correct, but I really like the look

And yes it is a small world, I live right off Airport a stones throw away from Chili's, that is pretty funny. I would love to come down and check out the car next time you are working on it, just let me know! Also, have you heard about the big Chevelle meet on April 4th up in Sac?
Old 03-01-2009, 05:59 PM
On The Tree

Couple MSD questions. I know the 6010 box is the one I need, is this the same as the 6LS box?

Also, does the 6010 come with a wiring harness and everything needed to hook right up? All the articles you read about the MSD box add another $175 for a MSD extension harness.

And last question, GMPP makes their own LSX Ignition Controller, is this the same as the 6010 or is it better?
Old 03-02-2009, 01:43 PM
TECH Addict

The harness they are adding is to plug it into your existing LS1 harness. You do not need it. MSD 6010 is the best box out there hands down. I've not heard much on the GMPP box but i dont see how any could be improved at all on the MSD box (other than the MAP reading being in psia and not hg)
Old 03-02-2009, 02:22 PM
Teching In

The GM box is on National Back Order for the last couple months every time I tired to buy one so you can’t even get one anyway...

Don’t forget to start a build thread on the 65 at www.RetroLSX.com
once you get all your parts collected. Any news on that 6.0L
Old 03-03-2009, 07:30 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by blackbirdpr1
The GM box is on National Back Order for the last couple months every time I tired to buy one so you can’t even get one anyway...

Don’t forget to start a build thread on the 65 at www.RetroLSX.com
once you get all your parts collected. Any news on that 6.0L
As soon as I get the rest of my pics uploaded I will

No news on the 6.0, it's about an hour away so I need to find some time to drive and check it out.

My budget of 3K might be out the window, I read the carcraft 6.0/L92 buildup and now have my heart set on doing exactly that
Old 03-03-2009, 07:32 AM
TECH Addict

An hour?! Pfft i drove 11 to get my Ls1 haha.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:22 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Shawn MacAnanny
An hour?! Pfft i drove 11 to get my Ls1 haha.
Hey, I am all down for wasting my own time! I once flew from CA to NY just to make sure the Saleen I bought online was real

I just haven't had the time with work and home life to go check the motor out
Old 03-03-2009, 08:29 AM
Teching In

I got a set of assembled L92 heads a 07 escalade from craigslist.com for $400 cash, and I have seen them bought from yards for cheap and its funny the L92 carb intake cost less then the cathedral port style from GM… So not that bad on a budget and you can always sell the truck heads on ebay.

I drove 9 hours to get a 33K 5.3L 05 long block for $300 for the 01 z28...

Bought my L92 at the LSX shootout in TN 7 hours from home.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:37 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by blackbirdpr1
I got a set of assembled L92 heads a 07 escalade from craigslist.com for $400 cash, and I have seen them bought from yards for cheap and its funny the L92 carb intake cost less then the cathedral port style from GM… So not that bad on a budget and you can always sell the truck heads on ebay.

I drove 9 hours to get a 33K 5.3L 05 long block for $300 for the 01 z28...

Bought my L92 at the LSX shootout in TN 7 hours from home.
Yeah, it actually won't go over $3K too much if I can get lucky on finding deals. I can't find **** for engines on craigslist though, I guess the searches I use don't work or something. I have tried 6.0, LQ4, 2500, HD etc in SanFran and I don't get anything at all.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:49 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by g6t6o
Thanks! It's trial and error like what you are doing that makes it easier for all of us that are lagging behind

The wheels and tires are C6 takeoffs, had to run some adapters to get the backspacing correct, but I really like the look

And yes it is a small world, I live right off Airport a stones throw away from Chili's, that is pretty funny. I would love to come down and check out the car next time you are working on it, just let me know! Also, have you heard about the big Chevelle meet on April 4th up in Sac?

hehehe,
all this "trial and error" don't mean ***** if I don't succeed in the end! [in my eyes]. My kid and i just landed in AZ for spring training this week, so nothing will get done on the Chevelle this week [dammit]. I'll get in touch with you in the near future. "Chevelle meet on April 4th"? Where is it at?

My budget when I started was $4000. [that's what I had squirreled away] I am past that by a grand now and i keep going backwards.....

Rob
Old 03-03-2009, 11:25 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by robbied31
hehehe,
all this "trial and error" don't mean ***** if I don't succeed in the end! [in my eyes]. My kid and i just landed in AZ for spring training this week, so nothing will get done on the Chevelle this week [dammit]. I'll get in touch with you in the near future. "Chevelle meet on April 4th"? Where is it at?

My budget when I started was $4000. [that's what I had squirreled away] I am past that by a grand now and i keep going backwards.....

Rob
Here is a link to meet, it's up at Sac Raceway.

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259031

And Rob, looking at your thread again, man am I jealous of that garage space you have. I can barely fit the dang car in mine, let alone have room to work on it!

Last edited by g6t6o; 03-03-2009 at 11:34 AM.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:56 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I think it would be relatively easy to do a decent swap for under $3000, but not if you don't want to do any fab work.

I'm just still confused on that kit, the pieces look nice but the price does not. I used my stock crossmember just fine, stock style motor mounts, made adapter plates, unbolted the frame perches and moved them about an inch and drilled new holes in the perches and bolted them back down. This put the trans in the same place it was with my 700r4 (which is the same as a th400 so the bolt holes are already in the frame).

That's about $450 saved to go towards the rest of the build

Quick Reply: Chevelle LM7 swap for under $3000