Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swapping ls1 into v-6 4th gen?

Old 03-03-2009, 03:10 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swapping ls1 into v-6 4th gen?

i was wondering how hard it would be to swap a ls1 engine and tranny into a 4th gen v-6 body?? is there anything i would need beside the engine and tranny? is there that much difference between a camaro and firebird v-6?? any help would be appreciated. i just toalled my '00 firebird formula, nothing is wrong with the drivetrain, so now im looking for a worthy body!! unless you guys thing swapping everything into a '93-'97 f-body would be easy also?? would it be bad to do the swap if the usable body was a manual and the tranny is an automatic?? it cant be too hard can it?
Old 03-03-2009, 03:13 PM
On The Tree

Just buy a LS1 roller car, the market is so bad for cars right now I bet you could score one for real cheap. Is your engine still good? You gotta remember its not just engine, you got PCM, suspension, tires, drivetrain ect.. to swap out. I know if I swapped my firehawks LS1 motor with my v6 with open differential and 245 tires it would quite possibly be the most unsafe car to drive ever haha. It seems like it would be more trouble than its worth. Part out your formula and buy another ls1, thats what I would do.
Old 03-03-2009, 03:19 PM
Staging Lane

whats a roller car?

i know what you mean, and i think everything is good on my car, just the drivers side is mashed in and the frame might be bent, so i am sure i have all the parts and tires, etc. so i think io have all the parts to do the swap, what do you mean by a roller car though? does that mean it just rolls and does not drive? like it already needs an engine and tranny or what not??

thanks
Old 03-03-2009, 03:32 PM
On The Tree

Yeah find one that's engine is blown up or bum transmission. If you can find one that the motor is dead it would be so much easier to swap yours in and then sell the rest of the parts on your car that you wont need and maybe you could make some money.
Old 03-03-2009, 03:40 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

People do this all the time...it's not as expensive as everyone wants you to think. If you like your V6 car and don't want someone else's ragged out/whored out car, swap an LSx into yours!

You can find a complete long-block with tranny, PCM, and wiring harness for about $3000 fairly often. Add the required K-member and misc parts for the swap (maybe even a cam swap for the LSx?)....sell your V6 assembly, and you could feasibly do this swap for a net of about $3000 or less in your garage.

Now if you're not attached to your V6's interior and all, then sure buy a roller....I had a V6 car and it was VERY clean so I'd considered doing the swap since I couldn't find a roller in as good condition and keep in the same price range as the swap would cost me.

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 03-03-2009, 03:45 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Matt@Texas-Speed
People do this all the time...it's not as expensive as everyone wants you to think. If you like your V6 car and don't want someone else's ragged out/whored out car, swap an LSx into yours!

You can find a complete long-block with tranny, PCM, and wiring harness for about $3000 fairly often. Add the required K-member and misc parts for the swap (maybe even a cam swap for the LSx?)....sell your V6 assembly, and you could feasibly do this swap for a net of about $3000 or less in your garage.

Now if you're not attached to your V6's interior and all, then sure buy a roller....I had a V6 car and it was VERY clean so I'd considered doing the swap since I couldn't find a roller in as good condition and keep in the same price range as the swap would cost me.
I appreciate your comment! only i have an ls1 and required parts!! i am looking for a roller car that would be easiest to swap into! do you think i could find someone selling a roller car on here that would be compatible? thanks guys.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Swapping ls1 into v-6 4th gen?