Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

64 Malibu truck mani question

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 12:59 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 64 Malibu truck mani question

Hey, after paging through the new Hotrod mags article on Heliion and looking at APS turbo kits manifolds I had an idea, may or maynot work but Ill see if anyone here has an idea. I was thinking of running truck manifolds just like stock (both outlets facing to the rear and down) and making small adapter pipes to mount a set of turbos down low in front of the toe boards. Since my project is still in the stage where my frame is seperate from the body I have no clue if this would actually work. The turbos would need to maintain ground clearance as low as the bottom of the oil pan (moroso pan) or higher. I think it might actually work by eyeballing things but without the two together I have no idea, hell I dont even know if truck manis will fit on a Malibu. The only area I think would be trickey is in the steering shaft area but other than that there seems to be room. If you have any suggestions or wanna tell me its a dumb idea and wont work feel free. Thanks
Old 03-05-2009, 05:57 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not a lot of free space in that area. Even if you could find space to mount a tiny turbo, you still need space for plumbing to return to the intake. I think your feet might get a little warm from all the heat. Plumbing to an intercooler? Not a dumb idea. Just thinking like a hotrodder.
Old 03-05-2009, 03:23 PM
On The Tree

warm feet wont be an issue with proper heat sheilding. I dont have another chevelle to compare to but Im thinking they would sit just below the firewall next to the starter and oil filter. Beyond that I guess Stainless works is now making turbo headers that face up and forward for gen3/4 motors now and they are pretty reasonably priced at $950 according to their website. Downside is you only get the header with a blank collector from there out you gotta make downturns and weld on the flanges for the turbo and wastegate. They look like Nelson Racing headers at 1/5th the cost so if I decide to splurge on some things I suppose this will be one of em. thanks
Old 03-05-2009, 06:31 PM
Launching!

Truck manifolds wont clear 64-72 chevelle frame rails...they dump right into them. The only factory manifolds that come close are F-Body camaro LS1 manifolds, but you will still have to trim the drivers side exhaust flange mounting ear to keep it from hitting side of frame rail. I dont think you would have the room, evern with these manifolds

Quick Reply: 64 Malibu truck mani question