Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3 Thridgen swap.

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 01:46 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 5.3 Thridgen swap.

I have been dying to make my car into a daily driver, I regret putting all the money I have into it and wanting and LSx car that I could daily drive. I think its time for me to Part my 400sbc combo and go with a 5.3 motor.

I understand that with an ls6 intake and ls6 cam I could have a pretty stout motor. What can I do about headers and a Y pipe? will any ls1 swap headers work? I want to use my th350 with 3500 rpm stall. I understand this will be no Dynoqueen and might run high 12's if I'm lucky but I just think I would enjoy this car 5000% more.

What do I do about motor mounts? Can I use the same electric fan set up? will I need a new radiator? How much would this cost in just parts? How much in labor would it be to have this done? What kind of mileage would I get if I didn't step into it?
Old 03-08-2009, 09:05 AM
On The Tree

To put a 5.3 in a 3rd gen you will need a f-body oil pan,and the front acc off one too. As for the mounts there are a few companies that sell the mounts and headders($800). I cant post a link here because they are not a sponsor. Some on TGO have made some custom long tubes. As far a s price I supose it could get real expensive to get a shop to do it for you.
Old 03-08-2009, 10:20 AM
Teching In

There is lots of info on this on thirdgen.org, they have a LS swap section, http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/ltx-lsx/, and I would expect a nice increase in drivability over a cammed up 400 SBC, but I doubt you will get much MPG with a th350 but it should do better than the other by quite a bit. And I would have at least 4/5 g's handy before you start looking for the engine.

Quick Reply: 5.3 Thridgen swap.