Sponsored by:

L59 Promblems....HELP !!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 03:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default L59 Promblems....HELP !!

Hi all.
Im doing an engine swap into an older vehicle.

Im running a 2006 L59 5.3 vortec.
It runs great but I live in CA and it needs to be inspected by the SMOG REF.

The PCM was reflashed and all emmisions were kept every thing reads ok but
The EVAP system and 02 sensors will not transition to ready mode.
I though I might have a problem with the PCM so I got a second PCM and it still does not transition to ready or ok mode...

The set up does not plug to any fuel gauges in the cabin...

anybody knows what the deal might be..

I read up somewhere I could use a resister 150 ohms to trick the PCM and help the evap system transition but have had no luck...

any help will be greatly appriciated..
Old 03-11-2009, 12:10 AM
Teching In

t t t
Old 03-15-2009, 04:37 PM
Launching!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

have you driven it? as far as i know, computer needs driving cycles for those monitors to become ready
Old 03-15-2009, 08:38 PM
Teching In

Yes.
I have driven this thing probably some 9 thousand miles already.. and I get no codes of any sort.
The truck drives great but it wont transition to ready mode..

Thanks the suggestion.. I also have done a few cycles already but the evap wont go to ready/ok/complete mode....
Old 03-16-2009, 12:51 AM
Launching!

Here's the drive cycle info just incase:

General Motors Driving Cycle

A complete driving cycle should perform diagnostics on all systems. A complete driving cycle can be done in under fifteen minutes.

To perform an OBDII Driving cycle do the following:

1. Cold Start. In order to be classified as a cold start the engine coolant temperature must be below 50°C (122°F) and within 6°C (11°F) of the ambient air temperature at startup. Do not leave the key on prior to the cold start or the heated oxygen sensor diagnostic may not run.

2. Idle. The engine must be run for two and a half minutes with the air conditioner on and rear defroster on. The more electrical load you can apply the better. This will test the O2 heater, Passive Air, Purge "No Flow", Misfire and if closed loop is achieved, Fuel Trim.

3. Accelerate. Turn off the air conditioner and all the other loads and apply half throttle until 88km/hr (55mph) is reached. During this time the Misfire, Fuel Trim, and Purge Flow diagnostics will be performed.

4. Hold Steady Speed. Hold a steady speed of 88km/hr (55mph) for 3 minutes. During this time the O2 response, air Intrusive, EGR, Purge, Misfire, and Fuel Trim diagnostics will be performed.

5. Decelerate. Let off the accelerator pedal. Do not shift, touch the brake or clutch. It is important to let the vehicle coast along gradually slowing down to 32km/hr (20 mph). During this time the EGR, Purge and Fuel Trim diagnostics will be performed.

6. Accelerate. Accelerate at 3/4 throttle until 88-96 km/hr (55-60mph). This will perform the same diagnostics as in step 3.

7. Hold Steady Speed. Hold a steady speed of 88km/hr (55mph) for five minutes. During this time, in addition to the diagnostics performed in step 4, the catalyst monitor diagnostics will be performed. If the catalyst is marginal or the battery has been disconnected, it may take 5 complete driving cycles to determine the state of the catalyst.

8. Decelerate. This will perform the same diagnostics as in step 5. Again, don't press the clutch or brakes or shift gears.

Tails
Old 03-16-2009, 01:05 AM
Teching In

Thanks !!

Yes, that is the cycle that I have been doing and I have other cycles that are specific to the 02 sensors, 02 heaters, catalytic and Evap without service bay, but nothing..

I had someone mentioned this engines having a virtual flex fuel sensor programmed into the PCM but I never heard of this before...

Thanks for all your reply guys and keep them coming please..

Manu !!

Quick Reply: L59 Promblems....HELP !!