Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S-10 swap startup issues after motor swap. Need some input.

Old 03-09-2009, 06:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question S-10 swap startup issues after motor swap. Need some input.

This is not my LS-1 swap into my 99 Sonoma. It actually is my buddies 2002 S-10. We took out the 2.2 and swapped in a 4.3. The truck is done. It's ready to start. But it won't. Turns over, maybe runs for a second, then fuel injection shuts down. Getting a 1631 code. It's something to do with the theft system. The truck sees an issue with the ECM and BCM not matching. Went through the whole process to relearn the BCM with the ECM's code. Still won't start. I am wondering what to do here? I know the ECM should be able to relearn the BCM and work. Why isn't it? It's an easy process. I have to figure all you LSx engine swappers into S-10's run into this as well. What did you do to get around it? Is there something I can jump to dissable this function? Any help would be great. I gotta get this truck out of the shop so I can finish welding the frame on mine.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:28 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The V8 computer's don't work with the S-10 BCM Passkey system, you have to have the computer re-programmed and shut off the VATS for the truck computers, or if it is a camaro program, you can either re-program or get a VATS bypass module.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:51 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I also put in the trucks vin into the computer, hp tuners does not play well with the swaps all of the time (invalid vin/os pair). I do have great luck with tunercat though. Like stated above though VATS needs to go.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Umm, I may have miss lead some info here. I just want to make sure you guys know what I am referring to.

My issue is not with a V-8 powered S truck yet. LOL I took out a 2.2, and put in a 4.3. Same year trucks. But differant vin's. I have no idea of the vin from the 4.3 truck. Got the engine setup from a salvage yard with no info but estimated milage.

Do I need HPT to do something like this? Can the VAT's be overridden by jumping something like a relay or something? How do I bypass it?

Again, this is a 4.3 s-truck ECM going back into another s-truck.

I will have to revisit this when I do my truck. But mine is a '99 and I am using a 2002 f-body ECM.
Old 03-09-2009, 12:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

what year is the computer that is running the 4.3?
If it won't work using the standard 30 min re-learn, then most likely it is incompatible and needs to be shut off. It would have to be tuned out.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The truck is a 2001, I was mistaken on that. But the engine and ECM that came with it are a 2002.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oct03gto
The truck is a 2001, I was mistaken on that. But the engine and ECM that came with it are a 2002.
If you did the relearn and it's not working then you have some issues. The BCM, PCM, EBCM, SIR module, and IPC all communicate across the class II data bus. If one of those components don't match then it no workie. What I recommend to you is find a V6 truck of your year and ensure that the PCM model you used is compliant with your BCM. If it is then you need to have your truck reflashed as a different VIN if you want to keep the Passlock. Getting rid of the passlock might be easier though
Old 03-10-2009, 05:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Don't care for the passlock. As long as the keyless entry still works after removing the passlock, then I'l delete it as soon as I find out how.

Would I have to just supply the dealer with another vin from a v-6 truck? Or can they just reflash this ECM with the correct vin, and still have the v-6 tune?
Old 03-10-2009, 12:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a vin from a truck with the options of the truck IE if it have power locks ect and take that to the dealer with you and have them flash the truck. The flash is actually the PCM parameters IE 4 or 6 banger and if you flash the BCN power locks/no power locks. The BCM and PCM communicate over the class II bus and if one doesn't like what it see's it (actually the PCM, but the BCM tells it to) disables the fuel. Also ensure the BCN is the same model #. You might need to swap the BCM out if it's the wrong model number to interface with the PCM. I have another BCM at the house (not sure what year) if you figure out you need another BCM. But if the BCM is right take the whole truck to the dealer that way they can do the passlock relearn with the Tech II while you're there and hopefully drive it home.

Last edited by kossuth; 03-10-2009 at 12:07 PM. Reason: added more info
Old 03-10-2009, 01:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think I may have found a solution. I took the eCM out, and I'll be sending it to a buddy who rebuilds ECM's. He is going to shut off the VAT's and reprogram the ECM for the 2.2 4:11 gearset. We'll see what happens.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: S-10 swap startup issues after motor swap. Need some input.