Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel safety question

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 12:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Fuel safety question

I;ve installed a tanks inc pump in my stock 67 chevelle tank and need to install a fuel filter regulator . i was planning on installing it underneath , near the rear but i think it would be a better installation if i installed it in the trunk near the pump outlet, i would enclose it in metal so there wouldnt be any exposed fuel lines in the interior . any thought?? Thanks, JOHN
Old 03-10-2009, 12:22 PM
On The Tree

Do you need to install a filter AND regulator? Pictures or a sketch might help, I can't quite invision the setup.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

would be mounting the corvette filter/regulator approximatly in that position
Old 03-10-2009, 12:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I mounted mine on the frame rail. It just barely squeezes in there but I thought it was a perfect location. However, I did not cut a hole in my trunk like you did so my lines were already underneath the car.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

John, If it is a safety question, and my answer would be on the safety side of it.

I would not route any fuel lines or compones in the interior or trunk.

But if your going to, I would make sure it is a sealed inclosure. Should there be a leak, the fuel should have some place to exit the trunk and not just pool up inside. I also would suggest using AN fitting and not any QD ones and hard lines as much as possible.. just to be on the safe side..

could you not run the line from the sender under the trunk to the frame rail and mount it there ?

keep us posted on what you come up with.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:15 AM
Staging Lane

Hey John I am building the same 67 and have the same regulator on mine. I mounted it right above the rear end. I really hate routing fuel lines inside of the car. I don't know if I have pics of it but i could shoot some for you if interested. Oh by the way I have a Rick's tank in my car and the sending unit also comes out of the top. I however have not mounted the tank so I hop everything clears. Let me know. If you want to email me hit me at kochevy67@yahoo.com
Old 03-11-2009, 06:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

John

I didn't state it before, but I mounted my FPR on the back of the frame crossmember in front of the Rear end, where the upper control arms mount too and then feeds into the SS hard line in its stock location.
Old 03-11-2009, 06:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i took the rear out today , ill see if i can get it under ,i just didnt want to use every fitting made to plumb it , maybe ill go straight pipe until it exits the trunk and then go flex into the supply/return side and hardline going to the front.thanks for the input. JOHN
Old 03-11-2009, 09:36 PM
11 Second Club

If you plan on racing it at all you cannot have fuel system components inside the car per the rule book.

Quick Reply: Fuel safety question