Sponsored by:

Routing Steam Vents

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 02:23 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Routing Steam Vents

I know what you're thinking; not another steam vent thread

Actually I'd like to see some photos of how you managed the routing of your steam vents from the head, and what fittings you may have used.

For my application, I have turned my intake 180 degrees for a mid engined application. Also, I made a tensioner bracket that is positioned directly in front of the steam vent fittings, so I'm working in a very tight and limited space. I did get some Wegner steam vent adapters that basically have a 1/8f'male NPT on them so I can adapt to just about anything. In the attached photo it shows a modified stock vent setup (barely visible), but it just won't work for what I want to do.

Many thanks,
Andy1
Attached Thumbnails Routing Steam Vents-tensioner-mount.jpg  
Old 03-10-2009, 08:04 PM
TECH Regular

Not sure if I'm understanding what it is you're asking. It looks as though you have the late type water pump, so I'm including a picture of how I did mine by tapping into the top of the outlet casting. You could probably notch your bracket and come through on what would normally be the driver side and then run the hose across to it kind'a like the picture shows. Hope this helps. Ron
Attached Thumbnails Routing Steam Vents-cp42.jpg  
Old 03-10-2009, 08:49 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rojs234
... so I'm including a picture of how I did mine by tapping into the top of the outlet casting. ... Ron
Ron that's pretty clean - whose fittings are those? -Bob
Old 03-10-2009, 09:27 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I routed mine to the upper radiator hose. Its going to a water temp sensor hose adapter. I ran it under the throttle body and the hose is run through the tight space between the throttle body and the water pump.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:04 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BBPanel
Ron that's pretty clean - whose fittings are those? -Bob
Bob, the steel line was on the engine when I bought it, so I assume it's factory. The fittings on the water pump are typical auto parts store items....90* elbow with, I think 1/4" NPT male thread into the casting and 1/4" NPT female on the other end with a 1/4" hose bib screwed into it. If anyone wants to do this, FWIW, I would measure the depth of the steel tube that is pressed into the casting, and drill and tap just beyond it. For anyone that cares, I rolled up cardboard into a hollow tube and pushed it into the tube, then drilled and tapped right through the cardboard tube. Cuttings fall in tube, suck out with shop vac, don't get in pump. By the way, I did put stainless clamps on the hose ends, but for a cleaner look, I wish I had used the shrink type. Ron

Quick Reply: Routing Steam Vents