Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MAF class 101

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 02:30 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MAF class 101

Hey guys.. I'm installing an '04 LS1 from a C5 into my '69 Camaro. I'm also using the C5 wire harness, CPU and DBW set up.. I didnt get the MAF with the motor, so I was wondering if I need one or not? I see some conversion cars that look like they don't use one? I don't really understand their function, so I can't say either way if I need one or not??

I did some searching and found some threads that said yes use it, no - don't use, etc.. Use the SD instead?? Whatever that is?? And not sure what kind/size to get? 3wire or 5 wire? Internal or External IAF?? Again, whatever that is?? I need lotsa help in this area.. I'm a carb guy by heart, but I guess I thought I was ready for a challenge?? For what it's worth, the motor has been upgraded with heads, cam, 92MM FAST and a ported 90MM LS2 throttle body.. Appreciate any info.. Thanks in advance, Jason.
Old 03-12-2009, 02:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

tuners eliminate the maf by way of SD tuning, this is your best bet for swap,
since u will need a tune anyway most likely, at the time should have it tuned in SD. C5 use 5 wire MAF
Old 03-12-2009, 03:02 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by NemeSS
tuners eliminate the maf by way of SD tuning, this is your best bet for swap,
since u will need a tune anyway most likely, at the time should have it tuned in SD. C5 use 5 wire MAF
Why is eliminating the MAF the best bet for a swap setup? What are the advantages of having/ not having? If I don't need the MAF, then will the wire harness guy just elimenate that from my harness? And what does it mean to be tuned in SD? What does that stand for? (I searched 'SD' and nothing came up??) Thanks - appreciate the info..
Old 03-12-2009, 03:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Try "speed density".
Old 03-12-2009, 03:40 PM
Staging Lane

Speed Density tuning is usually done for turbo or supercharged applications. There are a number of places that sell MAF's and MAF assemblies (Mass Air Flow). lingenfelter, for example, sells a MAF, 100 mm enclosure and they also have MAF tables for download. An experienced tuner can tune for MAF or SD. Tuning for SD is more difficult to get right but it saves the expense of buying the MAF and intake.

http://www.lingenfelter.com/Merchant...ode=L480000000
Old 03-12-2009, 04:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The new systems acutally use both. The MAF is more forgiving when doing mods and easier to tune. Once the MAF is dialed in it you should have better results. GM went MAF - SD then back to MAF but really a blend of the two. Ford did the opposite. If you want more info check out thirdgen.org. I was SD and am happy I am going MAF.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:52 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by shovelhead73
Speed Density tuning is usually done for turbo or supercharged applications. There are a number of places that sell MAF's and MAF assemblies (Mass Air Flow). lingenfelter, for example, sells a MAF, 100 mm enclosure and they also have MAF tables for download. An experienced tuner can tune for MAF or SD. Tuning for SD is more difficult to get right but it saves the expense of buying the MAF and intake.

http://www.lingenfelter.com/Merchant...ode=L480000000

Thanks for the great info! Sounds like you recommend having a MAF if the budget allows... At least from a tuning aspect.. I found a BRAND NEW OEM Delphi 85mm MAF Sensor for a C5 Corvette on E-Bay for $29.99. Would you recommend using that at the very least? I would rather not spend $300, unless I have too!!!! Will this size/ design restrict my air flow too much? Again, thanks for the info!!! I'm gettin' learned right good!
Old 03-12-2009, 04:56 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 69 Ghost
The new systems acutally use both. The MAF is more forgiving when doing mods and easier to tune. Once the MAF is dialed in it you should have better results. GM went MAF - SD then back to MAF but really a blend of the two. Ford did the opposite. If you want more info check out thirdgen.org. I was SD and am happy I am going MAF.
Thanks again! More great info.. You guys are helping me decide I should go MAF - just for tuning!! Now.. Just which one will suit my application best?? That is the question!
Old 03-12-2009, 05:08 PM
On The Tree

https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagn...-maf-tune.html
Old 03-12-2009, 06:07 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the link.. If I read that correctly, it sounds almost like a 50/50 split. Preference being with the proper tuner.. The Poll is quite lop sided towards the SD tune, but I think some people just voted based on what they 'heard' withouht having good knowledge of the subject.. SD tune seems to be favored on heavy mod and/or FI set ups and stock, or enhanced stock seems to be MAF tune prefered.. I'm going to be near 450 rwhp, so I guess I could go either way.. I think If I ran a MAF, I might have a better chance of getting a good tune and If I went SD tune, I might end up with a slightly better tune, but have to search a little harder for a good tuner.. Would you agree with my thinking? Or should I rely on the 'ole coin toss..
Old 03-12-2009, 06:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

people, myself included prefer sd tune, its true that maf is more forgiving and will calibrate itself somewhat with minor mods,
FI, and aggressive cam and compression benefit more from SD tune, also eliminates the restriction of the maf itself and allows for any intake tract size.
if u are just in for 450rwhp, a stock c5 maf is plenty. no need for any aftermarket and such.
Old 03-12-2009, 06:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you go strictly on a basis of what MOST set up are using. Using the MAF wins easily. I would go this route as well because it's easier to tune and is really not a measurable restriction. A SD tune would be the best way to go on a boosted set up but it's harder to tune and will seperate the men from the boys tunner wise.

I would keep the MAF on the car. You can pick up a used one here fairly cheap. I would be a bit scared of that Ebay unit as it's just to cheap to be what they say it is.

Re'
Old 03-12-2009, 07:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Im near 450 RWHP, and I have a MAF. The car works fine
Old 03-12-2009, 07:54 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RE AND CHERYL
If you go strictly on a basis of what MOST set up are using. Using the MAF wins easily. I would go this route as well because it's easier to tune and is really not a measurable restriction. A SD tune would be the best way to go on a boosted set up but it's harder to tune and will seperate the men from the boys tunner wise.

I would keep the MAF on the car. You can pick up a used one here fairly cheap. I would be a bit scared of that Ebay unit as it's just to cheap to be what they say it is.

Re'
Originally Posted by Phil'sC5vette
Im near 450 RWHP, and I have a MAF. The car works fine
MAF it is.. Thank you for all your help! I could never do this swap without everyones help here at LS1tech.com.. This laptop is the best tool I have.. Thanks again, Jason.
Old 03-13-2009, 04:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

and to add to it, for a year I switched back and forth from a screened MAF and Unscreened. The car had a hair better pick up off the line W/O the screen, but ran smoother going slow in a parking lot with the screen.
Old 03-13-2009, 04:54 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Phil'sC5vette
and to add to it, for a year I switched back and forth from a screened MAF and Unscreened. The car had a hair better pick up off the line W/O the screen, but ran smoother going slow in a parking lot with the screen.
Arrr.. The plot thickens.. Maybe I'll just cut a 2" hole in the MAF screen and I'll have the best of both worlds!!!! Actually I just ordered a new 85MM Delphi MAF and it does NOT have a screen in it..