Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM Extended Pilot Busing

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 08:01 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GM Extended Pilot Busing

I've looked and looked, but I cant locate the p/n for the GM extended pilot bushing needed to install my TKO500 behind my LS1.. I ordered the GM pilot bearing 12557583 per this Forum, but Keisler now says it wont work and I need an extened pilot bearing to get proper input shaft engagement. I know a lot of these trans have been installed behind LSx motors, is Keisler's info correct? They want $39 for the bushing, which seems way high, but I only want to do this once, so I want the right part the first time (without spending too much for the part!) Appreciate any info. Thanks, Jason.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

I used that bearing with my Richmond trans. It has the same input shaft dimensions as a TKO or Muncie. I checked length and fit, it works fine.
Old 03-13-2009, 09:04 AM
TECH Regular

I have PN 12557583 according to hot rod magazine.
Old 03-13-2009, 09:17 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by themachasy
I have PN 12557583 according to hot rod magazine.
That's the one I bought too.. Guys on here say it works, but Keisler disagrees I guess... I don't know why, but I've read a couple different threads on here and they said they used p/n 12257583, but having to do it over would have used the extended pilot bushing vs. the bearing. Don't know why? And they didnt elaborate.....
Old 03-13-2009, 09:39 AM
TECH Junkie

You can contact a couple guys in this thread that have an LS/TKO combo to confirm.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...directory.html
Old 03-13-2009, 04:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With this swap do you use the original ls bellhousing and slave t/o brg etc?
Old 03-13-2009, 04:13 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

On the LS Engines there are 2 different lengths of input shafts that have been used.

The long shaft would use the part number that yopu mentioned above. It would seat in the outer ridge of the crank flnage. For the longer shaft you would use a 14061685 and install it in the deeper portion of the crank flange.

I have a Power Point that shows everthing but I need to convert it to a video and host it somewhere.

Give me a day or so.

If you have Power Point PM me and I will send you the file.

Robin
Old 03-13-2009, 04:44 PM

Check out the dorman pilot bushing Part #690-035. I used this bushing when I mounted an LT1 T56 to an LS1. This is a step down bushing which installs into the torque converter area of the crank and can be used either direction. It costs less than $10 shipping includded from OhReallys.
Old 03-13-2009, 04:47 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by topher455
With this swap do you use the original ls bellhousing and slave t/o brg etc?

I'm planning on using my SBC Lakewood Scatter shield (less one bolt) and the hydraulic slave set-up with my TKO500.. I think I can use the stock LS1 flywheel and mate my centerforce that I am using now.. Splines are the same, I believe I just have to open the holes a tad to suit the Metric bolts in the flywheel.... Here's hopin'
Old 03-13-2009, 04:49 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by vegadwragon
Check out the dorman pilot bushing Part #690-035. I used this bushing when I mounted an LT1 T56 to an LS1. This is a step down bushing which installs into the torque converter area of the crank and can be used either direction. It costs less than $10 shipping includded from OhReallys.
What's stepped the OD? If so, how do you install in either direction? Do you remember how long it is?
Old 03-13-2009, 05:04 PM

it is known as the "Turboglide Adapter", its dimensions are .593 X 1.722 X .650. In that it is reversable (shaped like a T), it has a step down about 3/8 of an inch that can be installed toward the transmission or into the old pilot bearing bushing location.
Old 03-13-2009, 05:16 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by vegadwragon
it is known as the "Turboglide Adapter", its dimensions are .593 X 1.722 X .650. In that it is reversable (shaped like a T), it has a step down about 3/8 of an inch that can be installed toward the transmission or into the old pilot bearing bushing location.
Ahh.. That might work.. So if you install with the bottom of the 'T' facing the crank, it goes up inside and if you turn it around so that the bottom of the 'T' is facing out, basically sticking out farther (extended).. That might do the trick! For $10 bucks, I'll have one on hand just in case the GM Brg. doesnt work.. Thanks!!!
Old 03-15-2009, 09:03 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Working on an 85 MonteSS w/ TKO600 and LS engine...the attached .pdf files show my LS crank flange, Keisler Pilot Brg Adapter,TKO600 Input shaft, and assy dwg. (You can zoom .pdf file by holding down the ctrl key and roll the scroll wheel on the mouse). The standard Keisler LS bellhousing has a 6.50" depth, mine was cut down to 6.425" (to keep the clutch disk from riding so far out on the input shaft). The Oct08 CarCraft mag had a good article installing manual trannys behind LS motors. (They said Gen I small blocks had a bell housing depth of 6.29".
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Crank End LS Style Engine.pdf (6.2 KB, 832 views)
TKO Pilot Brg.pdf (4.8 KB, 857 views)
TKO600 Input Shaft.pdf (3.5 KB, 580 views)
TKO600 Assembled Dwg.pdf (5.8 KB, 589 views)
Old 03-15-2009, 10:37 PM
Teching In

what if you had the lakewood 15005 bellhousing? would you still need this?
Old 03-16-2009, 02:30 AM
TECH Junkie

The drawing shows that the input shaft seats completely within the area that the LS7 bushing 12557583 rides in the crank. I've got a Keisler LS bell housing, Richmond trans combo and confirmed this. Whats the function of the T shaped bearing sticking out farther? Is the distance between the bearing and the end of the thicker splined part of the shaft critical?

Originally Posted by Monte_LS3
Working on an 85 MonteSS w/ TKO600 and LS engine...the attached .pdf files show my LS crank flange, Keisler Pilot Brg Adapter,TKO600 Input shaft, and assy dwg. (You can zoom .pdf file by holding down the ctrl key and roll the scroll wheel on the mouse). The standard Keisler LS bellhousing has a 6.50" depth, mine was cut down to 6.425" (to keep the clutch disk from riding so far out on the input shaft). The Oct08 CarCraft mag had a good article installing manual trannys behind LS motors. (They said Gen I small blocks had a bell housing depth of 6.29".
Old 03-16-2009, 07:34 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Monte_LS3
Thanks for the info and nice drawings Monte! That is the nicest explination I've seen yet! They should be in a sticky.. Anyway, with all the different pilot bearings, bushings, bell housings, flywheels, clutches, etc., I think it's critical to check all the measurements as you have to confirm proper stack-up.. I think when I pull the TKO out from behind my 383, I'm going to check the lengths and confirm pilot engagment, just to be sure I get it back where it is now.. I need to make sure, like you said, that my clutch plate isn't riding right out or hanging over the ends of the splines.. Thanks again! Jason.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:41 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by hboy7777
what if you had the lakewood 15005 bellhousing? would you still need this?
From What I read, yes.. Someone else on here bought the Keisler bell housing thinking it would eliminate all of this, and it didn't... Still needed to go with the extended pilot bushing.. I assume the 15005 would be the same way. I would just measure everything out at assy like Monte did and make sure your pilot is well supported and your clutch plate is fully engaged on the splines.. Just my .2 cents..
Old 03-16-2009, 08:35 AM
TECH Junkie

The length of the pilot bushing wont affect where the clutch disk rides on the input shaft. That will be determined by the flywheel, which doesn't change regardless of pilot bushing, etc, The depth of the bell housing will also change the position of the clutch disk on the splines. The only way to change that would be to mill the bell housing down to move the input shaft forward.
So back to my question. If the input shaft is fully seated in the LS7 pilot bearing, what's the function of the T shaped bearing sticking out farther?
Old 03-16-2009, 09:14 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by garys 68
The length of the pilot bushing wont affect where the clutch disk rides on the input shaft. That will be determined by the flywheel, which doesn't change regardless of pilot bushing, etc, The depth of the bell housing will also change the position of the clutch disk on the splines. The only way to change that would be to mill the bell housing down to move the input shaft forward.
So back to my question. If the input shaft is fully seated in the LS7 pilot bearing, what's the function of the T shaped bearing sticking out farther?
Not sure? Other than using the bearing to obtain the proper ID, it doesn't look like it's needed? I was under the impression that the input shaft would not reach, or just barely engage the bushing with a standard bell hsg. Thuse needing an 'extended' bushing. This PDF looks like it be centered up perfectly on the pilot that way it is drawn.. The bearing I bought is 43x15x13mm wide.. Same dims as this 'T' set up, without the 'T' sticking out..
Old 03-16-2009, 09:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Measure the length of the input shaft beyond the bellhosing/engine mounting surface. Then measure the length the crank and LS7 pilot bushing extend out from the same surface. I think you'll find the input shaft is seated the full depth of the bushing. It did on mine.
If I'm wrong about my setup (still in progress), please let me know so I can change it before startup.

Quick Reply: GM Extended Pilot Busing