Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS Motor Swap into 2nd Gen Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 05:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS Motor Swap into 2nd Gen Camaro

I came across this board and have been reading up on the ls-series motors. Thinking about swapping one into my 71 z28. I have a few questions that maybe you guys with more experience can answer.

I have found some mount kits to do this and i'm wondering what brand is the best to use that makes this go smoothly?

Same question about headers for the motor. Any brands that are better fitting than others??

I am looking into a 6.0 from a late model truck to use as a base. Can i use the GM L92 heads on a 6.0L truck block? I take it this is the same style block that would be in a gto or such?? Will it use the same style cam as a LS from say a late model camaro?

What is the best set-up to use to run the motor as far as engine computer? I read an article from carcraft that used a MSD MEFI4. It seemed to have the right harness and things to plug into the motor. I would like to use something like that so i don't have to worry about getting a harness from the car or truck the motor comes from.

Will this work with the 350turbo trans i have in my car right now? Any type of adapters or anything needed for that? Maybe upgrade in the future to an overdrive trans, but i don't want to use a electric one. Thinking maybe of a 200-4R. Can this work with the LS motor?

If there is anyone that has a second gen camaro or firebird that did this and has pics or anymore info, that would be great. Trying to leearn as much as i can about this before i dive into it. I'm a old school small block user now. Don't have alot of knowledge of these motors. Any books or other sites i should check out too?? Thanks for any info anybody can help me with. Look forward to using this site.
Old 03-13-2009, 05:45 PM
Teching In

Hey I'm about to do the same thing. I have a 72' rs with a 350. But I have a LQ9 from a Denali going in.. You can use an older trans, I have a 700r4 they all require a different flexplate and an adapter for the crank I think.. I'm also finding out as I go. The easiest way to go is a carb. Get the msd ls1 kit and it's all stand alone. As for the mounts and headers, edelbrock has an engine swap kit, and transdapt also makes mounts.
If you can get your hands on a full L92 do it.. but you can put the heads on the LQ4 or LQ9.
Old 03-13-2009, 09:52 PM
Teching In

Sounds pretty good. I'm hoping to go with injection and be done with carbs! Do you have any other sites to check out?? Thanks
Old 03-14-2009, 09:09 AM
Teching In

nastyz28.com, lateral-g.net, pro-touring.com they will all be helpful
Old 03-14-2009, 11:52 AM
On The Tree

Edelbrock swap plates and headers work great... Heard good things about trans-dapt too. There are alot of good post on here about what swap kits work well in 2nd gens. Just do your research before you buy and you wont waste your money.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:39 PM
Teching In

does anyone know what the edelbrock part number is for a 73 camaro ls header. i am doing a lq4 swop with a mgnasupercharger and t- 56 got everything about done except the exhaust and and transmount

Last edited by mikerumpel; 03-28-2010 at 10:44 PM. Reason: just missed a few things
Old 03-28-2010, 10:49 PM
Teching In

i understand that the only diffrence in a ls2 clutch from a ls1 clutch is the the ls2 has a two step flywheel and the ls1 has a flat flywheel but they both are nutrel balance so if i want to use a ls1 clutch and flywheel on my ls2 i should be ok with spending only half the money? does anyone know
Old 03-28-2010, 10:52 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

DO A SEARCH!

All of these questions have detailed answers already, just use the search feature.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

Default your build

Originally Posted by olblue51
Edelbrock swap plates and headers work great... Heard good things about trans-dapt too. There are alot of good post on here about what swap kits work well in 2nd gens. Just do your research before you buy and you wont waste your money.
Your avitar (your camaro pic, I think thats what its called) looks interesting. Any build threads?

Quick Reply: LS Motor Swap into 2nd Gen Camaro